1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why no m43 equivalent to the zuiko 14-54?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Mar 9, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The title pretty much sums it up...why have we not seen an m4 version of the 14-54/2.8-3.5? That is a spectacular lens. I know if it were available I'd be figuring out some way to make that purchase. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Probably several reasons, including size, the release of the 12-50mm (though slower, it is sealed, and higher ISO capabilities compared to when the 14-54mm was release kind of offset the speed difference), and finally the version II of the 14-54mm is already sold as being made for CDAF and can be used via an adapter.

3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Just a guess, but I would think that to make a fast zoom like that would prohibit the lens from being relatively compact, which would go against much of the appeal of m43 in the first place and would be too similar in size to the 4/3 lens that already exists. Also, there are a plethora of lenses that already exist in m43 format that cover the majority of that focal range.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't know why size is being brought up as an issue here. The Zuiko 14-54mm already exists, has existed since 2003, and it has remained a very compact design for the past 9 years. This has always been one of the reasons I love this lens, whether using it on a DSLR or a PEN. We already know how small it can be made at that speed.

So yes, if this lens were made in Micro Four-Thirds mount with the adapter removed, it would still be compact. At the moment, the only thing which makes it larger on our cameras is the adapter. I certainly understand that the register distance is part of the design and that it's not so simple as just removing the adapter... the lens itself may still require a bit of extra space to retain the optical layout, but it would still have to be much more compact than the current lens + adapter combination.

When Canon and Nikon users see the size of my fast standard lens (ie, the Zuiko 14-54mm), they are always shocked by how compact it is.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Good point, Ned - I hadn't thought that even if the size of the lens would need to remain the same it would still be effectively reduced by doing away with the adapter.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Well the 12-50 really isn't an adequate substitute because aside from bing optically terrific the 14-45 is pretty fast. I also don't think that it is a size issue. I would have no issue with it being even the size it is now but with an m43 mount on it. Take a look at lenses like the Pan/Leica 25/1.4...for what it is that is a big lens.

I know I can just by a 14-54 mkII and an adapter but it does seem curious that Olympus would ignore making one themselves. Maybe they want to wait until the existing 14-54's are all sold out. Of the current crop of middle range zooms I'd have to say the Panasonic 14-45 is about as good as is available. It's nowhere near the lens the 14-54 is but its not bad and the switchable stabilization (on the body) is handy. I think for traveling I'd grab one of those before I spent the money for something like the Olympus 12-50. My camera isn't weather sealed so the lens being weather sealed isn't really doing me much good.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Another thing we have to seriously take into consideration is resources. Just because Olympus already has a fantastic, compact design for the existing Four-Thirds mount, that doesn't mean they can just transfer that into Micro Four-Thirds mount without re-doing the manufacturer from the ground up.

That means that making a Micro Four-Thirds version of the fabulous Zuiko 14-54mm II would expend certain resources and delay the output of other lenses in the collection. At the moment, Toshi has stated on behalf of Olympus that they are concentrating on putting out more fixed focal length lenses.

This makes complete sense to me, to complete one lineup of fast lenses that you've already started before starting on another. Sure, some people prefer zooms over primes and vice versa... but for those who would desire a fast 12-60mm or 14-54mm zoom, what's stopping you from picking up an m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 and m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 and still getting the job done? Choice is nice, but may not be a necessity.
    On the other hand... what are you going to use to shoot that wild wolf with at dusk or dawn (when the sun is not covering your image with shadows), from far enough away that you don't get eaten? Or to shoot that indoor sports event at less than ISO6400? At the moment, the only answer is an adapted lens with slow (Four-Thirds) or no (legacy) Autofocus. It can still be done, but wouldn't it be better to concentrate on giving users a native option for a fast telephoto?

So think of your choices this way... Would you rather have a choice between picking up a native m.Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom or picking up an m.Zuiko 12mm f/2 and m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, or would you rather have a choice of an m.Zuiko 12mm/2, m.Zuiko 45mm/1.8, m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8, and m.Zuiko 150mm/2 (or even an m.Zuiko 300mm/2.8 or something)? I would go for the complete lineup before the choice of prime vs. zoom.

Besides which, Panasonic has shown a commitment to fast zooms... hopefully they'll be good, but with two companies concentrating on completing different lineups (Olympus for primes and Panasonic for zooms), we Micro Four-Thirds users can have our cake and eat it too!
    I wish the fast lenses coming out this year included something longer, but with the m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8, m.Zuiko 60mm/2.8 Macro, Lumix X 12-35mm/2.8 and Lumix X 35-100mm/2.8, we are starting towards a very complete system... Plus, above the core manufacturers (Olympus and Panasonic) we also have other lens makers for the more "exotic" lenses, like the Noktons (Voigtlander), 1:5 macro (Yasuhara), fisheyes (Samyang and Panny), HD Video Lenses (Carl Zeiss), etc.

I know I'm a bit of a "wide aperture snob", but when I look at a lens system I don't even look at the ones slower than an f/4 constant. So in my admittedly myopic view, Micro Four-Thirds currently has everything from 7mm-45mm covered, and nothing past. That's the issue I'd like to see addressed first and foremost. Start by giving us fast telephotos in whatever form you deem appropriate, so we have at least one lens for every purpose.

8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Didn't Olympus stated they wanted to fill out their prime lens lineup first? Then zoom lenses.

I for one would buy a m43 version of the 14-54, even if it was still large, as long as the m43 version supported FAST AF (i.e. focuses as fast as the regular kit lenses, all 66 of them :tongue: )

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, they did.

And so would I. :) The Zuiko 14-54mm is certainly one of my most used lenses, even with slower AF. Reduce the mount and improve the AF, and how can it go anywhere but better?

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    For whatever reason, they've decided m4/3 is a system of primes and slow zooms. For good zooms, we're going to have to look to Panasonic. Hopefully the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 will be released before too much longer...

DH

11. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Only have to look as far as the 12-50 and 75-300 to validate that point!

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    But that Panasonic 12-50 is also a lot more expensive correct?

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I was referring to the Olympus lenses, the Panasonic is a 12-35mm and will be a fast zoom; the oly 12-50 is slowwwww (not deterring me from buying the kit though), as is the 75-300mm.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There was recently posted an interview with an Olympus exec (Tarada?) in which he stated that the design priority for the Pen line of cameras was compact size, and he either stated or implied that fast zooms didn't fit that design ethos. He also indicated that the design priority for the OMD series was less about size, and the faster zooms were now more likely. Obviously, if those zooms work on the OMD they'll work on Pens, too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Exactly, Meyerweb... they were waiting on a body to better match the heavier zooms before making them, and in the meantime concentrating on fast primes. Considering that they still haven't completed the list of fast primes, I wouldn't say that the current non-existence of the OM-D has really delayed the coming of fast zooms. One thing at a time, if you ask me.

Olympus probably has an entire lens and body lineup for the PEN, OM-D, and DSLR systems already mapped out, but it takes resources to make them all and those resources are found by starting with one product and developing a profit from it.

16. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Any of you guys ever tried the first version 14-54mm on a omd? A part the slower af how is it? Is it worth buying?

17. martinq

martinq Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 2, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    I wouldn't bother

I've used it on an E-PL2, and it was very very slow. Sold it eventually when the E-P3 came out and other folks reported that it didn't focus any faster on the newer bodies. The AF motor just whirs like crazy as it racks in and out trying to zero in on focus lock. It's still a great lens, but you'd probably get faster results just focusing it manually with EVF magnification.

18. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Thanks a Lot martin

19. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I think we'll start seeing some higher quality zooms. The Panny 12-35 isn't tiny but it's pretty well balanced on the E-M5. The 12-60 on adapter, OTH, is not so well balanced.

20. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    It's a good point that Olympus has to phase in introduction of one lens at a time, just to level their resources. A good zoom design is not trivial.

When the system first came out, I wondered why Olympus didn't just combine the adapter with the great 14-54 and 50-200 4/3 lenses and sell these "new" M4/3 lenses. I then realized that a complete lens redesign was needed to enable fast contrast AF.