1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why no lens correction presets?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Drdave944, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I have several micro four thirds lenses including the Panasonic 7-14 mm.
    In Lightroom and Adobe CS 6 there are multiple preset lens corrections for numerous cameras and lenses.I see no representation of Panasonic or late model Olympus lenses. Has anyone wondered about this or have any solutions?
    Just about every Canon lens is included.

2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I have.

3. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Because the lens correction is included in the EXIF by the camera (from the lens) and most raw development programs apply them by default.

4. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    You can set up LR and ACR to automatically apply lens correction, but it does not happen by default. At this time Adobe doesn't support m4/3 cameras and lenses beyond basic raw processing. Unfortunately this means no included lens correction and no camera profiles to match in-camera jpeg settings. The solution is to use the manual lens correction tools and save the results as the default settings or as a preset so you can apply when needed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    This is not correct. Adobe products use the lens correction information held in the lens, passed to the camera and encoded in the EXIF to let the raw processing tools to apply the corrections automatically. There is no way to switch this off in Adobe products.

There are a number of posts out there that confirm this including ones from Adobe camera raw core developers.

Whether the lens corrections encoded in the exif do what you want them to do is another matter. For example, Oly cameras don't pass the CA settings into the exif, so you will get different CA results from Panny lenses on Oly bodies compared to the same lens on a Panny body.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Thanks all. This is confusing since I freely switch between Pany and Oly using both cameras and lenses. I guess I will just have to eyeball it,but you can steal profiles from all the lenses supported in Lightroom or Camera Raw.

7. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Please post links to the confirming posts.

I'm assuming you are talking about corrections besides the ones in the Lens Corrections panel, since these are off by default (ie. "Enable Lens Profile Corrections" is unchecked). What lens data does Adobe use for these automatic corrections for lenses without profiles? The lens profiles included with LR4 and ACR 7.1 do not include ANY Panasonic or Olympus lenses. Even when you check the box to enable lens profile corrections nothing happens because there is no profile.

I'm very curious to read these other posts...

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Does ACR have automatic CA correction for Pana lenses? Does it still work on Oly bodies (guessing no)?

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The correction is automatic (and cannot be turned off in ACR). Try opening the same RAW file in ACR and RPP or RawTherapee from any m4/3 wide angle. You'll see that the ACR one has drastically less distortion.

Because digital correction is part of the m4/3 standard, RAW converters that fully support m4/3 are supposed to (and do) automatically correct.

Photozone's reviews give some idea of the extent.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Profile-based CA correction does work for Pana lenses on Pana bodies, and does not work for Olympus bodies (the Olympus bodies don't record the data).

However, generic CA correction in LR 4.1 and later works on all lenses, regardless of whether they have profiles or no (including legacy lenses).

DH

11. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I have not seen evidence of auto correcting for Panasonic lenses in LR/ACR, The CA tools in LR4 work great once you check the box in the Lens corrections panel. The Oly bodies don't auto correct pana lenses and vice versa

12. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Cool. Thanks for the link. You learn something new every day!

I think the OP was confused (as I was) because there are no Oly/Pana lenses in the "lens profile" list in LR/ACR. The automatic corrections are much more extreme for m4/3 files than I have seen in Nikon files

13. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Some people are soo mistrusting :tongue:

First off the roster is: Adobe Community: How to request Adobe to create a lens profile

Post #63. MadManChan2000 is Eric Chan, one of the 3 Camera Raw developers (have a look in the Help->About section and you see his name there).

Yes, different, although they do similar things.

It doesn't as it doesn't have the correction data.

Nooooooooo you are completely misunderstanding what goes on here. The lens correction data and auto-processing of it is part of the micro 4/3rds spec. Think of it this way. When you create a lens profile, you enable ACR to figure out how to process the image to remove distortion and CA. It stores these values in a file on your PC. Panasonic and Olympus have already done the profiling work and store the information in the exif of the image.

• Like Like x 1
  14. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    FWIW- Sigma m4/3'rds 19mm and 30mm lenses do show up and are available to use profile corrections.

15. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    Or, if you want to use profiles created by other people, you could download them using the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader:

The Lens Profile Downloader Now Available! « Adobe Labs

I use one for the Olympus 9-18.

16. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Not mistrusting, just like to get info from the source :)

I did not realize that the lens corrections were part of the m/43 standard. The corrections work a bit differently with Nikon/canon files in that there is a huge difference between the image with and without profile corrections applied.

Learning is fun... Thanks!

17. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    The lens correction is done for you automatically - you do not need to download anything to enable it (in fact, you can't disable it!). If you download, you will then be using a double correction and the difference should be minimal (although I have found there to be better vignetting correction with the downloaded profile I have here for the 14-42).

I have no idea where you got the 9-18 profile - I can't find it in the lens profile downloader....

18. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    I'll see if I can find a link to the profile. If I remember correctly, the profile only works at specific focal length ranges where the distortion is not very well corrected by Olympus. (I think around 9.) It does make quite a difference.

19. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    Try this profile for the Olympus 9-18:

Download lens profiles | Photographs, Photographers and Photography

20. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Yes, with the manufacturer-provided lens profiles, you are at the mercy of how well they have implemented it. On my PL25 for instance, there is a downloadable profile that does very little for distortion, but quite a lot for vignetting....