1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why no hyper focal scale on screen.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by alex66, Feb 25, 2014.

1. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I get that most of our lenses are by wire so can not have a focus scale but when I focus manually a little slider appears on my screen surely the cam knows the distance I have set on the lens and the F stop decided on. So with that could it not be possible to put on the on screen scale a set of markings showing how far either side of point selected will be in focus? It would make for a great snap shot mode and street shooting mode, I miss proper scales on lenses.

2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm, good question.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Better: a control that sets the lens to the hyper-focal distance.

• Like Like x 1
  4. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I've wondered for a long time why the screen is not used for that. It would be so easy to implement and such a valuable tool.

5. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    My best guess is that this is also the answer to your question. Now it's mainly focus by wire, and I suspect that the "back-reading" of where the lens is set to, cannot be very precise - or is not very precisely implemented. Oh, well, it could be enough (fuji cameras for example have an on-screen distance scale - which is honestly not completely precise...), but it's not the same as a mechanically coupled scale. The lens is not set to focus based on a known distance; the camera knows the estimated distance, after having focused, by reading at the moving parts position. Perhaps they have not planned to get a very much precise and calibrated measurement/reading. If they had, a snap-to-hyperfocal calculated on the aperture would be a relatively simple FW addition. But of course they cannot put a "set to what is probably hyperfocal but I cannot swear on it" button.

Edit. Of course this is about hyperfocal but also any distance/DOF reading. If there is a "little slider" that means perhaps they cannot be more detailed. Fuji's DOF reading is there, but I can assure you it's so conservative to be almost unuseful.

6. v_roma

v_roma Mu-43 Rookie

May 2, 2010
    The Fuji X cameras and Ricoh GRD cameras have this feature so this is clearly possible though I am not sure how accurate they are.

7. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    A "set to hyperfocal distance" function button would be incredibly useful, especially for very low light photography.

• Like Like x 1
  8. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    Ditto, Ricoh has probably implemented a better functionality because it's a fixed lens and that is one of the pluses of their cams (meaning they've worked on that). Fuji's fine/dependable but their DOF indication is very conservative. If m4/3 lenses allowed for a precise reading of the estimated distance, then it'd be a firmware miss. But to offer a usable on-screen scale, every lens should have the same capability. And I believe such a precise reading means dearer tech they can't have in all lenses. The obvious solution is not to offer the reading, because with a less precise lens reading it could be off enough to dissatisfy people. Some lenses have quite cheap mechanisms (I opened a 20mm and it's "rough"), I really doubt they can send good data back to the body, regarding focusing distance.

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Any lens servo AF motor in a closed circuit should be able to provide this. May not be in the lens mount spec. Another very handy feature if this would be focus limiting based in software.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Agreed - a "go to hyperfocal distance setting for current aperture" would be REALLY useful.

11. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    My question is if it can be precise enough, which I ignore.
    The lens mount can definitely send focusing distance data, they're in the exif.