Why no EXIF-info?

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by fullkoll, Dec 2, 2011.

1. fullkoll

fullkoll New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2010
    North of Sweden
    Kjell
    Hi all,

I have been absent for a year from this forum, but coming back I have looked at a lot of nice pictures here.

But...... not a single one (as I can see anyway) has the EXIF-data saved in the picture.

Personally I would find it extremely useful if it was there!

To just right-click and see the data is easy and useful (I am on Mac and have ExifExt installed in Safari)

/Kjell

2. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    I concur with this. I like having a nose at the exif data on pictures that interest me.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  4. fullkoll

fullkoll New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2010
    North of Sweden
    Kjell
    You are quite right - I can see it in your pictures..... but not in the other ones I have tried it on. Still - I might have been unlycky to find the ones without exif info.......

Perhaps the ones I have seen are "processed" in a way that removes the exif data?

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Some post processing programs delete the data...

6. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Lightroom can be set up to delete EXIF data on exported images. Snapseed for iPad was also deleting the data, but I believe they repaired that in a recent update.

I know some folks don't like to share their EXIF data, but it sure can be useful to someone trying to learn exposure and compare output from various cameras and lenses...

7. It's photographic paranoia, probably. I intend to take the secret of 35mm f/5.6 1/500sec ISO200 to the grave. Oh no, I've said too much...

• Like Like x 2
  8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Those secret settings, if revealed, will make someone other than the original photographer, RICH! :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  9. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Most photo sharing sites remove the EXIF metadata from images.

10. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    This is because almost all sites resize images (and saved as new files) before/during display, loosing the exif data in the process.