Why no E-PL5 "body only" option?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JJJPhoto, Sep 28, 2012.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Am I the only m4/3 user who would be more interested in the E-PL5 if Olympus offered it as a body only?

The kit lens is good for what it is (I have two of them from my various PEN purchases and I do actually use them even though I have other lenses). However, I don't enjoy being "forced" to buy a kit lens if I want to add another PEN camera to my bag of tricks.

I know the way camera pricing works I would only save $50 at MOST if Olympus offered the E-PL5 as a "body only" and the kit lens is worth more than $50 ... but I don't want another kit lens.

Olympus, if you're reading this, give us the option of buying the E-PL5 as a body only.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you order from the Olympus store, there IS a "body only" option for the E-PL5 :smile:

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I just noticed that the Olympus store has the black and silver E-PL5s for $749.99 (which matches the OP's expected $50 discount off of the 14-42mm kit price of $799.99). However the white E-PL5 is listed at $479.99.

More oddly still, when you place any of the E-PL5 body-only colors in your cart, the cart price is $649.99, while any of the E-PL5 kits are at $699.99 in cart.

Obviously, Oly has some website kinks to iron out.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It's a good thing at least Olympus will sell you the body options direct. How many times have I had to buy another 14-42 kit lens variant with the latest Oly body.

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yeah, I've got an E-PL2 with kit lens. I don't need another.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Too be clear, the E-PL5 is also available sans lens (at the same $650 price as it is direct from Oly) from B&H. Although I haven't looked, I would assume that the other major retailers would also sell the body only.

7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The E-PL5 seems to be available upon launch here body only as Park Cameras (UK) are listing it for £549.99 body only on pre order
    With kit lens it is £599.99

8. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    They've slashed that price by 99p!

9. I figure that it's another good reason for me not to collect camera bodies endlessly.

10. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Is there a link to the body only option from B&H? I can only see the kit option.