1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Why no E-PL5 "body only" option?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JJJPhoto, Sep 28, 2012.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Am I the only m4/3 user who would be more interested in the E-PL5 if Olympus offered it as a body only?

The kit lens is good for what it is (I have two of them from my various PEN purchases and I do actually use them even though I have other lenses). However, I don't enjoy being "forced" to buy a kit lens if I want to add another PEN camera to my bag of tricks.

I know the way camera pricing works I would only save $50 at MOST if Olympus offered the E-PL5 as a "body only" and the kit lens is worth more than $50 ... but I don't want another kit lens.

Olympus, if you're reading this, give us the option of buying the E-PL5 as a body only.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you order from the Olympus store, there IS a "body only" option for the E-PL5 :smile:

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I just noticed that the Olympus store has the black and silver E-PL5s for $749.99 (which matches the OP's expected $50 discount off of the 14-42mm kit price of $799.99). However the white E-PL5 is listed at $479.99.

More oddly still, when you place any of the E-PL5 body-only colors in your cart, the cart price is $649.99, while any of the E-PL5 kits are at $699.99 in cart.

Obviously, Oly has some website kinks to iron out.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It's a good thing at least Olympus will sell you the body options direct. How many times have I had to buy another 14-42 kit lens variant with the latest Oly body.

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yeah, I've got an E-PL2 with kit lens. I don't need another.

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Too be clear, the E-PL5 is also available sans lens (at the same $650 price as it is direct from Oly) from B&H. Although I haven't looked, I would assume that the other major retailers would also sell the body only.

7. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    The E-PL5 seems to be available upon launch here body only as Park Cameras (UK) are listing it for £549.99 body only on pre order
    With kit lens it is £599.99

8. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    They've slashed that price by 99p!

9. I figure that it's another good reason for me not to collect camera bodies endlessly.

10. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 7, 2011
    Illawarra, NSW, Australia
    Alan
    Is there a link to the body only option from B&H? I can only see the kit option.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.