Why more than one M43 bodies?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Gerard, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    We all have more than one camera.
    At least a smartphone and a "real" camera.

Some of us have more than one M43-bodies.
    I am always curious why that is. Of course GAS is a very good reason :)
    Speaking for myself: I want the EM1 so bad, because it has all those things my EM5 hasn't. But sofar I can't bring myself to buying it, because I see no use for a (my then) second camera.

So I am curious to know how (and why) you use those two (or more) m43 bodies. And is this the way you intended it to be when you bought this body (whether or not after a GAS attack.
    So tell us what use a second (or a second and a third) body has for

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Some older bodies are "leavers", i.e., I leave one at work or in the car. I like having two OMD bodies, the EM1 and the smaller EM5. Beyond that, I mostly accumulate bodies if I don't sell them after I move to a more recent model. Sometimes I wait too long and the bodies are worth so little there is little incentive to bother.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Professionally, I shoot with multiple bodies so I can shoot with less lens changes. It makes the process just that much quicker and I miss less shots.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    This is part of it, the other part is that if one camera stops working for whatever reason, I've got another that does. I've only actually had this happen once, but was very thankful I had another camera ready to go.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I have two bodies so that when I'm at an event or traveling, I can have my all-purpose 12-35 f/2.8 mounted on one body, and another lens like the 35-100 f/2.8 or 42.5 f/1.7 on the other body. It makes it easy to bounce back and forth depending on the need. Having two of the same bodies makes it easy to swap back and forth quickly, hence why I have two GH4's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ranter

Ranter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 29, 2016
    Randall
    I'm considering a 2nd gx8.. I've only had it a couple of weeks but I love the thing so much...

Reason I want a second is for easier street shooting with primes .. currently have 15 1.7.
    And I'd like the 42.5 1.2 on another ..

However I'm struggling with the thought of dropping that much money .. when i dont really need to ,, want to yes as i think these cameras are perfect for steeet photography. .but I've got a canon t4i collecting dust with a 50mm 1.4 that could give me a similar field of view ..

Although I was thinking to keep costs down I could go with a g7 or an olympus .. but probably not as I don't want to fumble trying to figure out which camera I have in hand and which buttons and dials do what

• Like Like x 2
  7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    When I bought into m4/3 I debated between the E-M5 and E-M10. At the time they were very similar in price. I went with the E-M10 because I wanted the few features it had - wifi, peaking, slightly smaller/lighter.

15 months later I just recently bought an E-M5 used (here on the forum). After using the E-M10 a couple of times in not-so-great conditions, and that I have a BWCA trip planned in June, I felt an E-M5 might be a good purchase. Plus the used prices today for them are outstanding.

Now I have the E-M10 that will be my main camera and the E-M5 plus the sealed 14-150 II as my hiking weather resistant camera.

8. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I have an EM5ii and an EM5, one usually has the 12-35 on and the other either the 7-14 or 40-150 so it makes it easier to use different lenses.
    The other reason is redundancy, I've been on several dedicated photography trips to Europe and Iceland and taken 2 bodies in case one clags out, the last thing I need is to have paid all the money for a trip like that only for the camera to fail.

Paul

9. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I must confess that I have 3 EM5 bodies, two of which I picked up second hand for €350.

I once did theatrical photography professionally and having more than one body made life much easier, I always had the right lens ready and changing film in a dark theatre was minimised.

I have just kept up this old habit which has several advantages for me in the photography I do now.

I like to photograph the interiors of old Italian historic castles and such. This is often done during obligatory guided tours. I have three 2.8 zooms each with its dedicated body. I lose no precious time changing lenses during the brief time I have to get my shots. NIGEL'S RAMBLES: Palazzo Ducale Mantua

I also do a lot of hiking in the windy and often dusty Italian Apennines. Not having to change lenses in windy conditions minimises the risk of sensor dust. NIGEL'S RAMBLES: Pathway to an Epitaph

If you buy “yesterdays” camera preferably second hand, this three camera solution is not as extravagant as it seems.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. bremner

bremner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    For me it's not just the money, but the weight budget. An extra E-m10 body is basically the same weight as an x-300 consumer zoom. If you're already packing around the pro zooms, I guess the extra 400g won't bother your (nor the cost of the body ;) ).

11. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I don't like changing lenses in open air due to dust on the sensor. While the auto-sensor cleaning works well most of the time, it's usually at the very least convenient time (e.g. 2 days in to a 14 day vacation) that you get dust spots and you're, well, buggered.

So, wide on one, medium / tele on the other, or medium on one and tele on the other. Simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    Alot of times on motorsportevents you can shoot one corner with the 300mm then switch camera and shoot with wide ange when the cars are closer. Or on Offroad there´s very different terrain so you might use the 45mm but when it´s to much trees you need the 8mm. Then it´s really good to have two cameras.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Having two lenses ready mounted is the main reason for shooting with 2 bodies. I have a rarer reason, one of my bodies is Full spectrum converted, so records UV & IR as well as visible. Usually I have a filter in front of the lens restricting the portion I'm actually photographing. One body for visible one for IR.

• Like Like x 1
  14. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    At the present I have 2 M43 bodies, one E-M5 and one MP2 body. The E-M5 is my main camera and gets used far more. The PM2 is a back up body in teh first place; I make long journey's to remote area's, and since taking pictures is often one of the main goals, I do not want to be stuck 4000 km from home with a broken body.
    In order to keep some feeling with the back up body, I also use it at home every now and again as my 'less conspicuous' camera. With a small standard EZ zoom and just the back LCD, it does not shout 'I am taking serious pictures' like the E-M5 does.
    Back in my pro days I did shoot stuff with two bodies for speed, but that was mostly before zooms were up to scratch. In those cases, the both bodies would be the same model, to minimise possible errors and swap out batteries and allow similar settings.

15. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    EP5 for travel. 2 Gx8 - one for WA and one for long zoom for quick change of fov . I often shoot Tele on a tripod and need the second camera for "place" WA images . Dust in the field is also a big reason.

16. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Photography is one of the very best multi faceted hobbies I know of.

There's:

Taking Pictures
    Sorting through and Post Processing the pictures you've taken
    Looking at your work in Print, slide-shows, web-sites etc
    Looking at the work of other photographers
    Talking about photography - art or kit
    Caring for / maintaining your kit

and COLLECTING - cameras, lenses, photo-related accessories, books ....

it's endless. Endless pleasure, new areas of interest and expense.

But maybe it's just my nature. I have four bikes in my garage and only ever ride my Marin hybrid these days. I have bits of HiFi stored all over my house. Cycling and HiFi give similar opportunities to collect, maintain and talk about.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    I have the OMD EM1, which I like a lot, but came across an EPL 3 at a good price and bought for a second camera. I put my primes on it and with the evf viewfinder and I have the em1 with the 12-40. I am a happy camper.

18. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    For travel, I'm on a 7-14/kit zoom on one body and tele prime usually 75/1.8 on another. No luxury to change lenses when shooting street :)

19. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I can't bring myself to sell my GX1 because it's basically worthless at this point. Maybe I could get a little over $100 for it? I upgraded my GX1 to a GX7 for the significant handling benefits that came with it, as well as the substantially increased dynamic range and a few other features. The GX1 now lives in my work bag, and is also the "small camera" when I throw the 20mm/1.7 pancake on it.

20. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I have 3 bodies so far; 2 4/3 (E-1 and E-5) and an E-P5 m4/3 and they all serve a distinct purpose. Cameras, to me, are just tools you need to achieve an end result that's all. For me, I like to commit to 1 camera so I can develop an intimate relationship with it so I know its performance and limits in a variety of conditions. I don't collect cameras anymore, preferring now to be inspired to create new visions.

• Agree Agree x 1