Why Mirroless Hangout at WPPI from the Panasonic Lounge

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by edwardconde, Mar 3, 2014.

1. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA

Frederick van Johnson hosts live from WPPI and talks to fellow m43 pros about why they use mirrorless. At the start you hear from Trey Ratcliff talk about mirrorless then he goes into how he doesn't understand the whole m43 (micro four thirds) name. Not sure if that was a smart move having someone that shoots FF mirrorless on a m43 mirrorless show. It seemed like the panasonic peeps had to defend the sensor.. Anyhow a fun lunch time watch.. thought I would share...
    • Like Like x 2
  2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    Too bad Youtube is blocked at work.. but thanks for the summary!
  3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Trey is totally right about the naming of MFT. We're used to it now but many people are perplexed by the name "Micro" Four Third. Four Third is already perceived as a downgrade in sensor size, people often wonder how much smaller Micro Four Third is. More marketing won't fix it. People will just wonder and then do some research and eventually make their own judgement as to what system is right for them.

What's important is that mirrorless is definitely the future. Sensor size is a forever debate notwithstanding if there is a mirror or not.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Totally agree!
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Four-Thirds Evolution II or Four-Thirds Compact or, ... anything in fact rather Micro Four-Thirds would have been a much better name. Too late now I guess...
  6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Yes, the name was kinda short sighted. Someone suggested somewhere they call it Mirrorless fourthirds, which would have been a better idea.

Or maybe 4/3rds squared...surely something else...Pocket 43rds
  7. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    As if APS-C makes any sense to someone not steeped in the history of cameras! Or 'crop sensor' -- is that a great marketing name?

It is not too late to change the format name either, all you need is a slogan that catches on. For example it could be marketed as the Compact Power format, and quote Robin WiIliams from Aladdin as the slogan; "Enormous! Cosmic! Power!!..... in an itty bitty living space."
  8. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    Yes, I've had numerous friends and even models ask why it's called "micro" four thirds.
    I just tell them because the cameras are smaller.

Good thing I don't own the E-M1, because I won't be able to say that the cameras are smaller..
  9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    That's right because I have a 'micro 4/3's' format in my Stylus 1 camera with a 'micro' sized sensor of 1/1.7" which is a 4:3 ratio. The M4/3's name is a little misleading for those that don't know & can be dismissed easily because of it.