1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why MFT users are so INSECURE?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi My fellow forum members :smile:
    I have been with this forum since 2010 and adore MFT format just because it offers me a combination of best possible IQ, lenses and bodies in a very portable package . The current two manufactures have churned out enough camera bodies and they almost cater every kind of user from Low end to high end , from DSLR type camera lovers to simplistic design lovers like PM2 and GF5 range . We are almost 12K members here from beginners to highly advanced users to full fledged professionals .Now my concern is when any Tom Dick and Harry passes some comments to MFT format's future or capability .. Whole forum starts shaking . We tend to seek reassurance , we need to convince ourselves that our choice is right :smile:Why why why ? We use cameras and we use them more than anyone else . We also use different formats and we know the subtle difference and advantages and disadvantages every format has . They why we should react to even a review from an IDIOT KAI ? He doesn't know how to shoot pics , he doesn't know how to compose , he is not an authority over an format .. He is just a below average guy who tries to make every review funny with his below average IQ comments and we a even more stupid who waste our time on analysing every stupid word he or people like him say.. Why?:confused:We know our MFT format more than anyone else . Thank you so much Olympus and Panasonic for creating this wonderful format and giving glass to match with :2thumbs::2thumbs:
    Thank you Amin for creating this wonderful community :drinks::drinks:and thank you so much and cheers to all those guys and gals who use this format :drinks::drinks::2thumbs::2thumbs: . Please stop underestimating this format and stop worrying about future as we have no control over it . Lets enjoy our present and shoots loads of pics with any camera u like :thumbup:.

Cheers
    Bhupinder

P.s .. Sorry for this rant guys , please excuse me if I became too emotional :redface::redface:

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I love Kai! My kind of humour, especially when he goes out of topic:)

I also love his passion for gear even if he isn't the best photograph on earth:)

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are we talking about Kai from DigitalRev? He is funny. I've never heard him sing anything but praise for m4/3 though.

4. Bhupinder2002

I also find him funny but some of his jokes are below average and hardly make any sense . I like humour but intelligent humour:smile: I am making a general statement . There have been so many threads MFT vs this and that which do make some sense sometimes but most of the time it's more of nonsense and nuisance . I expect from a 12K forum members to defend their choice .. Be proud and passionate about what ever gear u use . Don't start fumbling and mumbling when someone passes some comments about MFT. This forum is the proof how capable these little photographic beauties are . Read reviews, watch video reviews but take them with a pinch of salt as none of them uses MFT cameras and lenses than we do . Feel proud , love and adore ur choice :thumbup:
    Cheers
    Cheers

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Are micro four-thirds users insecure? Just what do you mean by that? :biggrin:

6. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    It all started when I was a child...

Mommy always loved my brother and sisters more than me. Other children picked on me. I wore funny clothes. I stuttered. Well...actually...Everybody kinda liked me...I got over my stuttering. I wear funny clothes because I like to and don't care what others think.

I kinda' think I use M43 because the form factor is optimal (for me), the breadth of lenses available is excellent. Many of the lenses are stellar. Image quality is at level now where I will be damned if I will ever carry a DSLR and the heavier, bigger gear ever again.

People can banter, split hairs, pixel peep until their peepers are pixelated, read test charts, and investigate all day long. I love the image files I am getting from my M43 gear. If I want to make my Olympus image files look like another manufacturer's output files, I can do either some in-camera tweaking or some crafty profile software management and get quite close.

Call me a "******" "M43 Evangelist", or label me as you choose. I have chosen my horse and I will ride it and promote the system 'til you tell me to shut up.

So there!

Dan

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    :horse::horse::horse:

8. Bhupinder2002

Hi Dan ..
    I love that spirit :2thumbs::2thumbs:

9. Bhupinder2002

Hahaahahaah :dash2::dash2::dash2:

10. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think that some concern about the future :43: should be expected.

The format is very young.
    The two major players, Panasonic and Olympus, are relatively small.
    Neither Panasonic and Olympus have a large ad budget.
    Concern about sensor performance in the future.

For folks spending money on a lens kit having a body that may not be able to keep with other formats is important. Just ask any 4/3, Olympus E-3, E-5, E-620, E-520, etc., owner. In truth, this uncertainty has effected my purchasing behavior. I would love to have a few more lenses, like the O60 macro, some of Panasonic primes, but I am not actively expanding my lens kit. I think that some of us are keeping on an eye on Fuji and Sony to see how their mirrorless lines develop. I like Fuji's lens roadmap and if the could just get a few more things right, like AF, in the X-Pro2, then Fuji might be a real alternative. Interesting, Fuji is not trying to be mass-market, or a camera line to meet everyone's interest, like :43: is trying to do. They are sticking to the enthusiasts market. Sometimes a small, well defined niche is better than trying to create a whole new category like P&S and DSLRs.

I don't think Kai, or any other reviewer, is making me cautious - Olympus' track record with 4/3s, their financial condition and Panasonic marketing budget and concerns about the long term viability of m4/3 give me pause. Still I am very much enjoying my m4/3's gear and I hope that my stated concerns are addressed in the future.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I'm not insecure about my choice of m4/3. I think the E-M5 is a truly great camera with some top notch lenses. And I loved and did not apologize for my E-P2 before that. I jumped in with the E-P1 and loved it, but missed what has become a "must have" for me, an eye level viewfinder.

But my 35mm camera was an Olympus OM-1 in the days I was surrounded by Nikon nazis convinced that photography didn't count if it wasn't made with a Nikon.

APS-C never seemed to offer all that many advantages; same generation m4/3 sensors always seemed to me as good, and the size advantage was and still is overstated, especially if, like me, you like squarer images than the 3:2 ratio natively delivers.

There are advantages to full frame 35mm size sensors, but they are not advantages I need for what I do.

Now, if I could afford a medium format back for my Hasselblad 500CM, I'd be dancing in the street, but I would not retire my E-M5, which is so versatile.

12. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Love his humor...

He was in a cranky mood that day...I don't agree with him about the E-P5 assessment and the notion that the improvements to the E-P3 were minor is just silliness.

I still love to watch his reviews and won't take this one too seriously.

Dan

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I think one should shoot with what he has/likes and don't care or bother about anything else. I'm satisfied with m4/3 gear? Who cares about other things.
    I'm not satisfied? Change and don't :horse::rant2:
    Thats it.

14. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I personally think m4/3 is here to stay at least for the next 10-20 years. It is the perfect compromise in size. Big enough to get excellent IQ but small enough to be very compact and light weight. I am not worried!

As for Kai at Digital Rev TV, he has his opinions and that is fine. His last review of the new E-P5 was ho-hum and he wasn't impressed but then he is a Leica/Nikon guy at heart{all others suffer if you notice}. Lok on the other hand gave the new E-P5 major kudos! They did not even mention some of the new features such as the focus peaking so it is hardly the best to measure how good the E-P5 is let alone the future of m4/3.

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Aha, I just watched that review. I wouldn't take Kai too seriously on anything really. Lok only a bit more seriously. ;)

16. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I myself held back a little but after owning a few bodies and high end lenses. I think M43 is the perfect system for me. Preordered the E-P5 kit and if the format dies. I'll be comfortable with the E-P5. Just as long as they keep making batteries for it. :D

17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Our collective insecurity is a sort of photographic Napolean complex caused by feelings of inadequacy due to the small sensor size. :tongue:

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    It seems like size matters, even for sensors:biggrin:

19. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    My wife and I...

My wife and I had that same discussion three times yesterday and she reassured me each and every time that I am completely "adequate" for her. Do you think that when she winked as she walked away I should be concerned? :rolleyes:
    Dan

20. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I too think m4/3s has some staying power, but at the same time I can acknowledge that with Olympus and Panasonic you can't really be sure of their commitment or financial capability to stay in the game.

I don't find m4/3s users any more insecure than anyone else though. What I thought I saw a bit of, when the E-M5 popularity started to rocket, was some early m4/3s users seeming to be annoyed that the format was becoming more popular. I think many folks liked the idea that they were in an exclusive and new "club" that the mainstream really didn't know about.

There is a somewhat interesting video from Trey Ratcliff on This Week in Photography comparing NEX to Nikon: LINK

They talk m4/3s a bit, and Ratcliff opines that m4/3s users have a religious belief in their system (around 15:30 mark if you are interested).