1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why MFT doesn't have 1/8000 Shutter speed?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi guys ..
    We all know that our MFT are great and capable .I was just wondering why Olympus and Panasonic are still sticking to 1/4000 shutter speed. Does anyone has any explaination or any rationale behind it ? Is it just that Oly and Panny just wanna milk us before they introduce next generation of MFT crop?I love fast primes and there are times when you wish if you had 1/8000shutter speed.Honestly I was expecting OMD to be the first camera to offer 1/8000 sec but it didnt.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I/8000 is normally only found on pro level cameras that are built to more robust & longer lasting standards & that is (just) one of the reasons why Oly said the E-M5 was not a pro level camera. Todate, micro 4/3's cameras are not yet part of a pro category of cameras (even though lenses are moving into that category). The E30 having the same shutter system as the E3 (& E5) could be considered an exception.

3. Bhupinder2002

Oly OMD is very much pro level camera . Pentax KR and KX offered 1/6000 and they are both entry level ones .I agree what do u mean though .
    Cheers

4. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    I think it may boil down to simple physics. Twice the speed means four times the energy needed. Add to the fact that Olympus :43: use a mechanical first-curtain, and close the shutter fully, first. Also, the shutter curtains always move at the same speed (I'm not sure about for initial closing, and opening back to LV), so they'll always draw the same amount of energy.

I'm not sure how much battery it'd use, but we'd certainly get fewer shots.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The E-M5 certainly has some nice pro features but it still isn't a pro camera as emphasised by Olympus. They probably did to avoid criticisms from some over its (E-M5) lack of some pro specs. E.g., it doesn't have a duel card slot, isn't built quite as rugged as the E5 (dials can be damaged easier etc.), doesn't have as many direct controls buttons (even though there are some including using the touch screen), such as Preview Button, Bracketing (that's accessible on the E3, E30 & E5 by pressing two buttons), doesn't go to 1/8000 sec shutter speed, hasn't got the same shutter life of the E5 & there are other factors too & doesn't have a large enough battery capacity, but I still love the E-M5 even though it isn't a pro camera. The rumours seem to indicate another OM-D model is coming (next year) that will be above the E-M5, but we shall see if that is a pro model or not (should the rumours be correct).

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very nice camera for the level it is supposed to be & that's an advanced enthusiast level (or maybe even semi-pro) & will serve many pro shooters well if used appropriately.

6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Plus, they are releasing a new OM-D model above the E-M5 some time in the next 10 months, which they could then call "pro" to differentiate it. "Semi-pro" is about right for the E-M5, especially with some of the newer lenses.

7. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Australia
    Just as an aside to the OP's post topic ... I pulled my OM-D out of the Low Pro yesterday and the eyecup caught on something and plucked it off like a daisy petal and tore one end off it.

That's not pro quality build wise IMO ... irrespective of it's perfomance this is not a piece of pro equipment!

8. Bhupinder2002

Thanks Keith..
    All these horror stories are pushing me towards GX1 lol. As a matter of fact EP3 looks more solid .

9. Keith

Keith Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Australia

I think with the OM-D Olympus have been true to the ethos of the film OMs. They are fine cameras but you don't hear stories about people banging nails in with them ... that's Nikon F territory! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Then again... the same thing happened with my Canon 1d Mark IIn... its a pro level camera... I lost around 5 eyecups and then gave up.

Two things that come to mind:
    * I absolutely hate the whole consumer, prosumer, and pro-level cameras. ITS PURE MARKETING and the consumers are stupid enough to fall for it.
    * The OMD E-M5 (I have one) doesn't have the same build and features that I have come to expect from the high end Canon cameras (my reference, 1vHS, 1DMarkIIn)

I've been told the maximum speed of shutters is determined by the quality of the shutter. High shutter speeds require a bit of power and pretty harsh physically... it must be balanced with quality components and testing. All adds to the final cost of the camera. A cost that is a hard sell to the consumer who typically doesn't understand what a time-value for shutter is and how it impacts exposure.

• Like Like x 2
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The simple solution is a ND filter.

12. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    *Lucille walks away from this thread all sad with her 1/2000 second e-pl1's shutter speeds* :frown::frown:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bhupinder2002

Lol..hahahaahah u shoot at night Lucille so u dont need to worry lol.
    Anyway , I have a feeling u still love Panny 20 mm more than PL25 mm 1.4..
    Cheers

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    My EOS 50D is hardly a "pro" camera but it has 1/8000th. With base ISOs continually creeping upwards, and diffraction setting in at relatively large apertures, fast shutter speeds are becoming a requirement, not a luxury.

• Like Like x 1
  15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Some truth there. I had an OM2 when I was in college, shooting for the school newspaper and yearbook. Hardly pro PJ workload, but the camera started to fall apart after a couple of years.

16. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    I feel your pain :(.

17. Bhupinder2002

Even Pentax K5 has shutter speed of 1/8000 and its not a Pro camera by definition .I dont understand the logic of basic ISO of 200 either
    Cheers

18. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I do tons of dayshots.

past-80.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Actually I think M43 should start implementing faster maximum shutter speeds. ND filters are a pain in the butt and also messes with WB. A faster maximum shutter speed would help in shooting near wide open, maximizing shallow DOF, in which M43 is at a disadvantage. Even a 1/6000 shutter would make a difference. Even cooler would be the old Nikon D1X's 1/16000th shutter! :biggrin:

20. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    At the very least, if implementing a higher shutter speed is more costly, then at least give us 100 ISO...!