1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why lose function during tethering?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TomServo, Feb 1, 2016.

1. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Over the weekend I was shooting in the studio and was using tethering (wired) to be able to show my subjects their images as we shot them. Works great for coaching them to get eh best expressions for headshots. Howevertethering breaks a couple of things which I'm hoping Oly can address in the next firmware upgrade.

Myset - gone. I have a preset I made for studio shooting which sets the AF, Aperture, shutter, stablization and other settings just where I want them. When tethered, the mysets are no longer available. yes, i can go and set it in manual and run through the menus to get everything where i want it, but it makes no sense to me to lose the presets I create just because the camera is plugged into the computer. In fact, I think there should be a preset I can use specifically for tethering.
    OVF view- unavailable. Why? Since I've been shooting with the EM-1 and using studio lights, the new OVF simulation feature has been a huge help in letting me frame with pretty good color in the EVF while setting the actual white balance to Flash. Live boost is still available so I can at least get a bright enough view to work with but the evf is still very orange due to the WB being set to flash and modeling lights being tungsten.

Working untethered of course, these items are not an issue but it sure would be nice to have these seemingly simple, but important to me, functions working when tethered. Anyone have any thoughts?
    I'm going to try using HDMI tonight for image playback but I'm concerned about how it works. Will the image display right after shooting the shot or does one have to switch to "playback" for the monitor to show the image?

• Like Like x 1
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I have seen a presentation where the presenter used a Panasonic GH model with HDMI to a TV; the TV showed the image review for the same period it displays on the camera LCD.
    I haven't tried HDMI on the E-M1 but I would guess it's the same, in which case you might want to increase the review time (or whatever Oly calls it).

Barry

3. TomServo

TomServo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Brandon Jackson
    Nope.. EM-1 goes into playback mode as soon as one plugs in the hdmi cable. Can't shoot at all. only review photos already shot. Love this camera but for all of it's customization, can't do some simple things.

• Informative Informative x 1