1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why keep the E-P1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dixeyk, May 31, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been really thinking about selling my E-P1 lately mostly because it is living as a paperweight on my desk these days. I have been using my GH2 (and G2 before that) for the past year and every time I grab the E-P1 I find myself putting it right back and grabbing for the something else. I don't dislike the E-P1 at all but the combination of sloooooooow AF, clumsy two dial controls (I really wish that Olympus would adopt the clickable thumb wheel like Panasonic cameras) and low resolution rear screen (that may as well be made of solid metal in bright light) don't do much to get me excited about it. It's a gorgeous camera. I added an Aki-Asahi black leatherette skin and GGS glass LCD protector so it really is eye catching. That however doesn't translate to many photos. It does make a cool paperweight though. I have even taken it to work with the P14 attached so that it's my only option. The P14 actually focuses reasonably quickly. But...on the days I limit myself to the E-P1 I come home with nothing. I even attempted learning to zone focus and try that figuring that would play to the E-P1's strengths. Let's just say that my zone focusing skills can best be described as "awful".

I am taking a business trip in a few weeks and I realize that my first reaction is "there is no way I'm taking the E-P1" but I feel like I must be missing something. When I had an E-P3 I got comfortable with it because of how fast and responsive it was. The E-P1 is...well...not so much. I know it has a number of fans here so I am wondering if some E-P1 aficianados can give me some tips on how to enjoy it more. What am I missing?

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Sentimentality, pure and simple. Same reason I still have my first film camera, first SLR, first digital, and first MFT. Milestones or passages or...

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yep, that's pretty much where I'm at. I keep it because...well, it's an E-P1. It's not like it's worth much if I sell it. I would like to make use of it. I think part of it is that I have really gotten comfortable with the Panasonic controls and handling...and I'm just getting cranky as I get older. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    You might keep it as a backup camera, just in case your main one breaks and goes to repair, you'll always have something to shoot with. It's also useful because of its IBIS for occasional shooting with primes in low light. The main thing about it is the price though, it's hard to sell it for anything reasonable, so I'm keeping my E-P2 just as the second camera (although I do use it with primes and IBIS). Might convert to IR later on, there are some guides on how to do this.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-P1 makes an excellent photographic prop to photograph your lenses with.

jupiter-3_web.

• Like Like x 4
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    How about teaching your son about photography and letting him use it and/or handing it down to him? Could lead to some great father-son bonding opportunities and you just might be surprised with some of the shots he takes. Maybe he'll even teach his old man some new tricks. :wink:

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Backup camera is one of the reasons its still around but I will probably look for nice price GF2 for that job as it would look and feel much the same as what I have. I have never been a huge fan of IBIS. I know it works well enough but it's not high on my list of must have features. Where it could be helpful is with legacy lenses but I find the E-P1 all but impossible to use with legacy glass.

I was thinking the same thing. I may just give it to my 9 year old. He has expressed an interest go learn photography and go out shooting with me. That might be the best home for it. Of course what he wants is to shoot my GH2 but he also like the E-P1.

8. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's hilarious...and not a bad idea. :rofl:

9. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Seems like a good fit, especially if he's already interested. If he enjoys it and if he's still ogling your GH2, you could probably swap the E-P1 and $50 for a G2 (which should be similar enough to you G2 to slake his desire).

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I don't know, maybe I'm easy to please but I love my E-P1. I mostly focus on stationary objects (Like flowers) so I don't notice focus speed. I love the two wheels - I know exactly what each will do. Above all, it's a beautiful camera. I love the look.
    I also have an E-PL2. I can deal with the differences in controls, although the two wheels are my preference.
    Giving it to your son would be a great way to encourage him to explore photography while still hanging on to a truly classic camera. :biggrin:

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Ned in your case it does, as it has no LCD screen anymore. Or did you get it repaired? If its still broken I agree, but if it works its a little bit of cruelty to mount nice glass on it and not ever let it capture the moment. lol

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree that it is one lovely camera. In fact i don't think its a bad camera at all, it's just that the Olympus UI and control layout don't suit me. I think it's headed to my son. Seems like the best home for it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I find it interesting that the lens that works best with the E-P1 is my P14 followed by the P14-45. My sole Olympus lens the O45 OTOH makes all sorts of whirring noise and is almost as slow as my P20.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, that's true. My camera is still busted. ;) If it wasn't, I would want to take it out for a spin sometimes... though probably not very often, considering my newer generation bodies.

At least my venerable E-PL2 still sees a lot of use. It's got that sharp capture I like, and it's a little beefier in the hand for when space isn't as limited. ;) Of course, that's just last year's model... not really an old relic yet. :rofl:

15. I finally got around to selling my E-P1 a few months ago. It cost me a total of about $60 for 18 months of ownership. I just didn't want to keep hold of a camera body that I wasn't using any more. At one point I had five Micro 4/3 cameras which was a bit crazy.

16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I just offered the E-P1 to my son...and he said he'd rather have my "blue" camera (Panasonic ZS3) because he likes to do as he say "flower bug pictures". He means the little flower icon for macro :eek: Says he doesn't like the silver one because it can't do "flower bug pictures". He's got me there.

Oh well. It's a good little camera as well. I guess the E-P1 is headed back to paperweight status or the sale table.

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The lack of EVF positively kills any interest I might have in the E-P1. It does look cool, but I'd much rather have even the much maligned E-PL1.

DH

18. phatning

phatning Mu-43 Rookie

May 27, 2012
    NYC
    How much an used E-P1 goes for nowadays?

I just browsed eBay and most used E-P1 auctions ended with no bid. The 2 outfits that receive bids are going for a lot less that I expected.

At this rate I may just keep mine as a backup or lens showcase. :smile:

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    When I looked a couple of weeks ago, it seemed like US$150-160 was the going price for an E-P1.

20. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm in the same boat as you.I now have two current bodies,G3 and OMD,which run circles around the E-p1,but I can't seem to let it go for peanuts.I do fondle it occasionally, and have good intentions of taking it out.It's just so unusable in the daylight.It is a beautiful milestone camera though, and it looks good on my shelf along side my old rangefinder collection.