Why is Zeiss snuffing m43?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by woody112704, Apr 30, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    This isn't really news at this point (the article is 8 months old). Still, I do think m4/3 is hurt by not having the Zeiss name behind it, even if the lenses themselves probably won't sell in huge quantities. And a quality 12mm f/1.8 prime would be a rather nice addition.

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Because even if the focal lengths actually make sense on MFT (the 12mm does, the 32mm doesn't) they're still going to be significantly oversized if designed for APS, and by designing for APS they cover more bases/systems.

Maybe Zeiss feels that the maturity of premium MFT primes doesn't leave much market space for them?

3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Perhaps the focal length of the lenses they have in mind wouldn't really make sens to re-tool for the 4:3 sensor.

The 12mm translates to 18mm on APS-C. One could argue it would be a 24mm FoV on m4/3.

However, the 32/1.8 sits in no man's land with regard to FoV, offering an even 50 for APS-C but 64mm for m4/3.

4. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Well I just saw that article and was wondering. It would be nice to see some more competition on the lenses granted those will probably be pretty expensive. I'd like to see Sigma actually commit and make a lens specifically for m43 but I'd be surprised if they do.

5. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I'm waiting for a 3rd party to make a 28mm f/1.8 or f/1.4...a nice wide-normal for APS-C and a nice long "normal" for μ43. I always like 55mm and 58mm lenses on film.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Zeiss didn't do anything for Four Thirds either - so why should they go into Micro Four Thirds :confused:

7. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I think between Leica (at least in name), Voigtlander, and soon Schneider there's a ton of competition for the high end of m4/3, and that's without considering the higher caliber lenses from Oly/Panny.

Given our relative small install base, and the lack of comparable competition on the APS-C format, and I think their strategy seems extremely rational.

If you really want Zeiss glass on your micro 4/3 camera, I think their manual cine lenses come with our mount...

8. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    Who cares

Given the price of the Oly 12mm, which is already considered overpriced, I am not sure how much would a Zeiss costs and anyone would buy it.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think it comes down to market and relationships... why build lenses for a relatively small m4/3 market, when there are already fantastic primes available? How many would they sell, especially if they are sized for APS-C sensors?

On the relationship size, Leica has an agreement with Panasonic, Zeiss is in bed with Sony. I would think that has something to do with Zeiss building for NEX, along with the fact that there are not exactly a plethora of good E mount lenses. After you build the NEX, why not build a Fuji mount given the same sensor size?

10. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
  11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Spot On!

12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    All-manual lenses are a different category (Voigtlander) and the Schneiders are still vaporware at this point. Leica is a Panasonic sub-brand, like Sony's 24/1.8 Zeiss.

The Zeiss lenses that have been announced are thus a different category - genuine 3rd party lenses with full system support.

One reason the 12/2 is considered overpriced is it underperforms a 5-year old zoom design, the $900 Olympus 12-60.

13. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is misleading and I have heard they do sell.

The Ziess CP lenses are intended for commercial use video. It attaches to cameras like this:

Panasonic AG-AF100A Digtal Cinema Camera AGAF100APJ

14. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    True.... Both the E mount and the X mount have a dirth of lenses at the moment. MFT has both Olympus and Panasonic making native lenses for the system from the start. Plus Sigma making some nice affordable primes and Tamron coming out with what is shaping up to be a nice zoom. And that doesn't include people making manual lenses like SLR Magic, Voigtlander and Tokina. Or 4/3 system lenses that can be used with an adapter.

15. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    The Schneiders are as real as the newly announced Zeiss's at this point, so I think it's fair to consider them in the discussion. I also think that Zeiss competes for the same brand-aware enthusiasts that would buy Voigtlanders and especially the Pana-Leicas. While they're not the exact same thing, they would certainly be competition for Zeiss' target demographic.

In any case, I feel like we're all saying the same thing--there's a ton of lens competition on m4/3 and far less for the APS-C mirrorless systems.

16. ssgreenley

May 12, 2011
    Wow, people are not liking my contributions to this thread tonight! I was using hyperbole, apparently ineffectively. My bad!

17. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've seen image samples from the Zeisses, so I'm fairly certain they exist. The Schneider lenses at this point are simply mockups and a release date.

I agree that Zeiss, Voigtlander and Leica appeal to the same sorts of folk - it's just that to me Zeiss is making a far more significant step the the other two by offering their own lenses (not just co-branding) with full system support (AF, AE etc.). What's interesting to me is that their offering lenses for Fuji as well as Sony, and Fuji's lenses are very much targeted at the same enthusiast demographic (plus the focal lengths are quite similar: 12/2.8 vs 14/2.8, 32/1.8 vs. 35/1.4 and 50/2.8 macro vs. 60/2.4 macro).

18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Perhaps Zeiss knows something about Sony/Fuji median income demographics that have steered them in that direction...:confused:

19. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 12/2.8 is $1250 and the 32/1.8 $900. So it does seem skewed high. OTOH Sony 24/1.8 is $1100 and the Fuji 14/2.8 is $900, so they're not that far out of line. Definitely on the high side compared to m4/3 lenses though.