Why is view in viewfinder highlighting areas in orange (and how to disable)?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ohaya, Mar 5, 2016.

1. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi,

I'm not sure what this is called but, in my E-PL2, when I look at live view it is highlighting certain areas in bright orange. What is that? Can I control that feature (e.g., disable it so I can see the actual area in the image)?

Thanks,
    Jim

2. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Pretty sure its indicating areas which will be over/under-exposed (highlights & shadows).

Take a poke around in the Display settings (DISP/PC ?) and look in the Histogram options. The manual for my E-M5 seems to be a little vague on enabling this - I usually do it accidentally through some 'Info' button magic-incantation.

3. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Hi,

I'm not sure if I was explaining what I meant, but here's a pic of the live view, looking at a TV program and I've circled one of the oranage areas.

[​IMG]

4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Yup, thats it - its indicating an area that will be over-exposed ('high-lights') when you take the picture. In the Display settings (called DISP/PC) there is an option buried in there that enables/disables this setting. Alternatively, if you hit the 'Info' button it'll usually switch to an alternate LiveView screen that will display some other information - it might even disable this as the camera cycles through the different LiveView overlays.

5. Clicka

Clicka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Vancouver
    Peter Campbell
    If its the same as the m5 then its showing your blown highlights and if you see blue then shadows gone to black. I find it THE most useful exposure tool. Check it out before disabling would be my tip.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    It may be helpful with exposure, but it makes it really hard to focus when doing manual focus.

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    True, but usually if you have some strongly overexposed important areas the first thing to do is to fix the exposure, typically with exposure compensation.
    Then you can focus...on focus. Anyway you can switch back and forth just with the Info button.

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The camera has several display modes that can be changed by pressing the INFO button. Press the button and the highlight/lowlight will go away.Once you figure out what you want to see in the display, you can configure the different modes in the camera's menu.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    A common way to use this getting is to change the exposure compensation until you make the blown highlights go away. You can then pull the shadows out in photoshop.

10. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    Actually, you just kiind of partially answered the question. Pressing the Info button does make the orange go away, but it looks like that only lasts until I power off/on again.

Is it possible to configure the camera so it doesn't go into the mode where it displays the orange at all?

Thanks,
    Jim

11. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Yes, but I think it should remember the last used mode, the E-M10 works this way.

Anyway you can go in the D menu -> Info settings -> LV-Info and select which modes you want to cycle through. Even if I agree with Clicka that this is a really useful mode.

12. ohaya

ohaya Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2016
    GREAT!!! That was it. For my E-PL2 with Firmware V1.4:

Menu ==> Disp/PC ==> Info Settings ==> LV-INFO ==> HIGHLIGHT&SHADOW ==> OFF

Jim

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Highlight/shadow blinkies was the single biggest reason why my exposure reliability increased when I switched to u43. Turning it off permanently is short sighted IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1