Why is this forum so convoluted?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by nickthetasmaniac, Aug 15, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    This is just a personal observation/opinion, and naturally some (most?) may disagree...

Why is this forum's format so articulated? Ie. why is everything separated into sub-forums?

For instance (I hope it's ok to mention another website) forum.fourthirdsphoto.com has basically the two general forums - photos and discussion. This means that I can quickly visit two pages and see if there's anything worth having a look at.

Here, on the other hand...

- 3 for Micro Four Thirds cameras
    - 3 for lenses and accessories
    - 5 for images
    - 3 for video (I can possibly understand this)
    - 7 for general/odd topics
    - marketplace (this I get too)

That means that if I have a general interest in most things (which I do), I have to check 21 sub-forums! Would it not be simpler to have one or two primary forums, and then title each thread with it's specific topic (like forum.fourthirdsphoto.com)?

I really like it here, but having everything so separated just means that, first, the forum constantly feels quieter than it is, and second, I miss most interesting topics because I forgot to check a specific sub-forum...

What are other people's thoughts?

Cheers, Nick
  2. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    I've never thought of this before but it's ok for me.

I guess you use the "recent discussions" tab more?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I am probably missing something, but I first check the "Recent Discussions" column on the "Front Page" where anything that has changed since I last looked is highlighted. I then look at "My Threads" to see if anyone has added to threads that I have participated in the past. Since I check repeatedly and quite frequently (there is possibly a diagnosis for this), I seem to get a feel for what is going on and don't feel it is convoluted. But again, I may be missing gobs of good stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    More likely I'm just a tech-retard :) I'll try those things and see if it works better!
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Exactly what I do, too. Look at the right column on the front page. Easy!
  6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have the recent discussions bookmarked on my web browser. One click and BAM, she's all there.

Come back an hour later and click it again and it displays new stuff in bold font.
  7. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Hi Nick,
    took time to look up convoluted in the dictionary. "coiled and twisted within itself" I'm no scholar but I enjoy the forum as it is. I also admire your photography. Keep up the good work.
  8. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    It's quite possible that I just need to learn how to use the internet :/
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Just about every forum has a different format to the next, and none are perfect or unimprovable. This is the one that I go to the most, so conversely the layout feels more "normal" to me than any others.

I guess I tend to do 90+% of my browsing for new or updated threads through the list on the right of the front page or in the recent discussions tab. If you check the forum at least once per day (surely everyone does that, right?!) then not much new will get past you.

When searching for older threads I do like that I can use the various sub-forums effectively as filters, but of course that does rely on threads being posted into the appropriate forum for the topic/s discussed, or if not ensuring they have been moved to the correct place. Sometimes though you just want to see ALL the threads dedicated to camera bodies (for example), and not look through three seperate sub-forums. Catch 22...
  10. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I click on the "New Posts" link. Works for me. :wink:

I do like the various sub-forums. It helps with searching and as Luckypenguin notes, serves as sort of a filter/folder.
  11. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Me too! easy peasy
  12. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I live on the recent discussions tab and User CP as well. I'm hardly cognizant of the separate forums except when I want to start a thread, then I have to browse them and figure out where it belongs :)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I use the new posts on the right hand to see if I'm interested in the topic or not.

Overall, I much rather have this forum format than others. I can easily find what I'm looking for, and posts in the lens forum doesn't clutter say posts in another forum.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Ditto. I actually find some of the other forums a bit too intimidating, either because they have two or three big sections only, or too many sub-sections without the easy Front Page section with updated forums highlighted.