Why is the Pana GM5 so Rare?!

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Small / imperfect EVF is better than no EVF / clip-on EVF, by a factor of about a million. .
Not sure if I agree with that.
I got very excited when the Pen-F was announced to then check one out in the store: most things felt good except that dinky EVF.
I wanted to upgrade my E-P5 because I find the VF-4 being a bit bulky but the EVF on the Pen-F was not an improvement for me and I thought it would hinder good composition. No buy :(

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I found the GM series to be too small. Compact is great, but not if you hate shooting with it. If I didn't mind the size I'd probably choose one of the Sony RX100 options. I think that sort of competition really hurt the GM series.

Alan Chin

Mu-43 Rookie
Lens interchangeability on gm5 beats Sony and other fixed lens cameras, if you care about that. Small cameras aren't for everyone, sure. But if they are for you, then most likely you're looking for : evf, highest quality image file, full manual controls that aren't hard to use, and fewest unnecessary extra options, in smallest possible package for lowest cost. Maybe too small a niche in today's world. But if that's what you're looking for, then the gm5 is it. If sony made full frame rx 1 with lens interchangeability, it would be a super winner. As it is, I gravitate between gm5 and Fuji X-E2 (or newer x-e3) as the winners in this category.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I found the GM series to be too small. Compact is great, but not if you hate shooting with it. If I didn't mind the size I'd probably choose one of the Sony RX100 options. I think that sort of competition really hurt the GM series.

it's great to have options

I got the GM5 to replace my RX100m3 for backpacking so I'd have a better sensor and not have to memorize 2 different menu systems (tho the Zeiss zoom is very nice)

davidzvi

Real Name
David
it's great to have options

I got the GM5 to replace my RX100m3 for backpacking so I'd have a better sensor and not have to memorize 2 different menu systems (tho the Zeiss zoom is very nice)
Definitely preferred my GM1 and GM5s over the RX100 I had at one point.

Hotahseh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
JC
Not sure if I agree with that.
I got very excited when the Pen-F was announced to then check one out in the store: most things felt good except that dinky EVF.
I wanted to upgrade my E-P5 because I find the VF-4 being a bit bulky but the EVF on the Pen-F was not an improvement for me and I thought it would hinder good composition. No buy :(

Funny thing, in my search of a GM5 i came upon a EP5 for $130.00 needless to say i bought it lol XD trying to find a fair priced VF-4 now...

Still trying to collect a GM5 for myself though hehe

ma401

Mu-43 Regular
Funny thing, in my search of a GM5 i came upon a EP5 for $130.00 needless to say i bought it lol XD trying to find a fair priced VF-4 now...

Still trying to collect a GM5 for myself though hehe

I've pined for an EP5 for a long while but I'm scared of the rear dial issues. For $130 I would risk it all, where oh where did you see one for such a price?

Hotahseh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
JC
I've pined for an EP5 for a long while but I'm scared of the rear dial issues. For $130 I would risk it all, where oh where did you see one for such a price?

made an offer on ebay, expecting a counter offer and the seller actually accpeted :bowdown:

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
The GM-5 is hard to come by and when they do show up for sale they go quickly because they served several purposes like no other camera. First it can fit into your pocket like no other interchangeable camera does. PLEASE, PLEASE do not tell me that you get some other 4/3 camera into you pocket because in doing so you probably look like a freak who has some sort of physical defect. Mothers pull their daughter close when they see you walking down the street
Secondly it is an interchangeable lens camera. The 12-32 lives on mine but I also use the 15 for some situations.
Third, unlike the GM-1 it has an EVF. Now I know some folks complained that the EVF was small but what can you expect on a small camera. Sometimes I think their expectations are ridiculous. The EVF was small but at least the camera had one which made it usable in the harsh sun like we have here in Arizona which cannot be said for other cameras that expect you to see something off that rear LCD. Good luck with that. While I have other cameras to choose from, whenever I am wearing a suit or sport coat I can easily drop the GM-5 into an inner pocket and go to any event. The small flash is sufficient for many party type shots as I have demonstrated numerous times.
Finally it takes darn good images similar to, and in some cases better than what you get out of other 4/3 cameras from the same time period. Here is one of my "party shots"
SHOW: Before and After Shots

ma401

Mu-43 Regular
made an offer on ebay, expecting a counter offer and the seller actually accpeted :bowdown:

I have been trying to avoid eBay since I bought my E-PM2..which I only bought because the GM1/GM5 are so unavailable/expensive.

PLEASE, PLEASE do not tell me that you get some other 4/3 camera into you pocket because in doing so you probably look like a freak who has some sort of physical defect. Mothers pull their daughter close when they see you walking down the street
Secondly it is an interchangeable lens camera. The 12-32 lives on mine but I also use the 15 for some situations.
Third, unlike the GM-1 it has an EVF. Now I know some folks complained that the EVF was small but what can you expect on a small camera. Sometimes I think their expectations are ridiculous. The EVF was small but at least the camera had one which made it usable in the harsh sun like we have here in Arizona which cannot be said for other cameras that expect you to see something off that rear LCD. Good luck with that. While I have other cameras to choose from, whenever I am wearing a suit or sport coat I can easily drop the GM-5 into an inner pocket and go to any event. The small flash is sufficient for many party type shots as I have demonstrated numerous times.
Finally it takes darn good images similar to, and in some cases better than what you get out of other 4/3 cameras from the same time period. Here is one of my "party shots"
SHOW: Before and After Shots

The E-PM2 does very well in a pocket especially with the 12-32 on it (which makes up for the shitty IBIS). Of course there is no EVF and no flash, it's prone to shutter shock, has no dials and very few buttons, the list of deficiencies goes on. But it's a hell of a lot cheaper and fits in your pocket, and you wouldn't feel like you destroyed a priceless artifact if you dropped it. None of this stops me from pining over the GM5.

I have heard reports of the grips on the GM5 becoming sticky after a number of years. Is that an issue with yours?

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I have heard reports of the grips on the GM5 becoming sticky after a number of years. Is that an issue with yours?

I have not experienced any stickiness in the grip but then I always wash my hands after eating my PB&J. :) And, the "Old School" manner in which I hold my cameras protect them from having some problems other shooters experience with the leather like coverings.

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I got a GX85 into my pocket - it was easy.

And when I was young and working in the shoe department of Penny's a woman walked out of the store with one of those heavy chrome motorized shoe buffers we used to have stuck under her dress and between her legs and like this video demonstrates anything is possible.o_O Heck in one of his videos Mike Browne claims he carries his Fuji X-T1 and 18-55mm lens in his coat pocket. But then I notice that people do look at him a bit strange.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
GX85 fits fine in all my parka and coat pockets

- tho not with the 12-60 PL zoom on it

I await the revolution in 1/2" sensors

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have been trying to avoid eBay since I bought my E-PM2..which I only bought because the GM1/GM5 are so unavailable/expensive.
Grip hasn't become sticky but print on mode dial has worn off in some places

The E-PM2 does very well in a pocket especially with the 12-32 on it (which makes up for the shitty IBIS). Of course there is no EVF and no flash, it's prone to shutter shock, has no dials and very few buttons, the list of deficiencies goes on. But it's a hell of a lot cheaper and fits in your pocket, and you wouldn't feel like you destroyed a priceless artifact if you dropped it. None of this stops me from pining over the GM5.

I have had the GM1 since it came out. I initially used it as a second body to my EM5 and then I discovered it makes an excellent travel camera. I can put the GM1, 12-32, 25-100 f4, the 20mm pancake, and the O 9-18 into a Camslinger bag that I wear around my waist. Amazing! I agree that the larger lenses in the system do not pair well with the GM1/GM5, but there are smaller lenses, like 12-32 and 35-100 f4 that work well.

Unfortunately, the GM1 and GM5 did not sell well (see the negative comments by some folks above). Its too bad because I would have liked to have seen them evolve to use IBIS and a 20MP sensor. People are now beginning to realize the value of these cameras.

Darin Berdinka

Mu-43 Regular
So with GM5 being the unicorn of m43 what’s my second best option for a super compact body that I might actually be able to purchase? I guess there’s no truly compact option with an evf, which is a real buzzkill.

Seems like the best options are as follows

GM1 of course
GX850, what advantage does this have over the GM1?
EPL7 or EPL8 slightly bigger than the above choices but IBIS is a pretty huge benefit. And an ugly evf could be added.

Ultimately I’d pick whichever one has the best screen for shooting in bright sunlight.

Any strong options or advice?

InlawBiker

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Greg
Nobody mentioned the little E-M10 II as a tinycam. I suppose because it's not that tiny, but it's small. I settled on this one after using the diminutive E-PM2. I love the E-PM2 but once you attached a viewfinder it kind of ruined it. That led to the E-M10 II. Never tried the GM5 or GM1, or even seen one to be honest. Seems like a great idea that somehow only caught on with a small crowd.

So with GM5 being the unicorn of m43 what’s my second best option for a super compact body that I might actually be able to purchase? I guess there’s no truly compact option with an evf, which is a real buzzkill.

Seems like the best options are as follows

GM1 of course
GX850, what advantage does this have over the GM1?
EPL7 or EPL8 slightly bigger than the above choices but IBIS is a pretty huge benefit. And an ugly evf could be added.

Ultimately I’d pick whichever one has the best screen for shooting in bright sunlight.

Any strong options or advice?

GM1 is a good option - generally available on ebay etc.

GX850/85 is larger but the advantage is 5-axis IBIS.

Latest threads

Top Bottom