1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why is the GH3 rarely mentioned when talking about high end m4/3s?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by arg245, May 19, 2013.

1. arg245

arg245 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    South Florida
    I listen to a lot of photography podcasts, and the latest trend seems to be everyone talking about moving to mirror less, be it m 4/3s, NEX, or Fuji. But nine times out of ten, when the talk revolves around m4/3s, its the Olympus OM-D everyone raves about.

Sorry for the short rant, but it really bugs me to no end, and I wonder if there is really any justification for it, other than the obvious similarity of the Oly to an earlier body style.

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Well to be honest the OMD really was the breakthrough camera for m4/3. It's brought a lot of attention and people into this format. Also, it's got a year head start on GH3.

3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    :thiagree:

Also the GH3 was unfortunately too late to actually be available for purchase, esp. in Europe, after announcement. This is a reccurring Panasonic theme, I think.

4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I personally am switching over to a Fuji but owned and appreciated the OM-D. IMHO, it was the next revolution in the micro four thirds world with the new Sony sensor and the incredible 5-axis IBIS. It being fitted into a retro-looking body was just a bonus. Methinks, the reason why the IQ-wise equally capable GH3 was downplayed was because it didn't really bring anything new to the table. It's a winning camera alright and makes micro four thirds users proud but was sadly overshadowed by the OM-D. It's sort of like people remembering athletes who break records and not necessarily every winner in every sporting event.

Also, to be honest, it's quite big (and yes, I've held one) which I'm sure is a welcome treat for former DSLR users but makes it somewhat less accessible to people moving up from a P&S.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    think it more revolves around the fact that people associate Panasonic with TV's and other domestic electrical goods. In the Pro Video world Panasonic are big players, as are Sony, and while Sony have made inroads in the photo world ( mainly by buying a traditional photographic name - Minolta) both are still not percieved as 'real camera makers'

That said I have a GH2 and a OMD... I bought the GH2 to take video... even though it takes great stills... but I bought the OMD partly because I felt I was buying into a heritage.

Its irrational I know

K

6. arg245

arg245 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    South Florida
    Agreed about the OM-D being first on the block (at the high end anyway), and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, but for that very reason, the GH3 being a newer generation, seems to bring more to the table. Better video for one.

Not trying to start a Canon vs Nikon style debate here, just wondering what insight some folks may have on the subject.

At least for me, when I was looking to get deeper into m4/3s, my research indicated that the OM-D would perhaps be too small for me, and had a somewhat lacking menu system compared to the Panasonics, and had what I thought was a limited articulating screen.

Yes, the GH3 is fairly large in comparison, but together with the smaller lens sizes, it seems to be the perfect size (again, at least to me) when compared to the mirrored DSLRs with huge lenses. Just seems that this combination would be perfect for those wanting to downsize from DSLRs.

Thanks for your comments so far.

7. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I think in the photo world for the reasons mentioned above its all about Olympus and the OM-D and in the video world its the GH3. Go to any video based forums out there and you will find the GH2/GH3 section of the forum one of the busiest despite sections dedicated to the "big boys" like 5D3, Red, Sony, etc. being there as well.

Panasonic while matching image quality for stills with the EM-5 (minus IBIS) has without a doubt decided to market and promote the GH3 as a video camera more then a stills camera. A lot of the new things added in the GH3 were all video based upgrades including direct hardware implementations like a headphone jack, etc. Hence why I bought the GH3... for its video capabilities. If I weren't going to focus on and shoot more video I would also buy a EM-5.

8. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Well, you can't blame people for banging the drum for the camera they like the best and maybe more :43: photographers prefer the E-M5 to the GH3, not withstanding that it has been available longer in any case.

If you have a preference for the GH3 then bang your drum for it, as you are doing here. Talking about it is the best way of getting it talked about. :smile:

9. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I think it's simple: a lot more people have used the OMD than the GH3, and those people are talking about it and writing about it.

Just curious: are you the same as dpreview user ekramer51, who asked this same question in that forum?

10. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    That's very true, if I was interested in video I'd be all over the GH3. As it happens I've had the E-M3 over 6 months and haven't even tested the video. In fact, until I read threads such as this I often forget that it has video.

11. arg245

arg245 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    South Florida
    :confused::confused::confused: I'm not even on the dpreview forums. Haven't been for years.

That business aside, I do suspect that you're right, it may simply be that due to it's long time in the market, the OM-D simply garners the most attention.

12. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    On a side note, I saw my first GH3 in the wild yesterday. I was at a Ninja Challenge 5k race yesterday. The video crew there had a nice GH3 rig with the Panny 7-14 lens on it. Looks pretty impressive. We had a quick chat about the camera, they loved it. Then he said "it takes really good stills too!" Further cementing the common notion of GH3 is a video camera first and still camera second.

On the other hand, if they had the OMD on the rig, it would not look nearly as professional. I think Panasonic might be right about increasing the size of GH3 for the pro market after all. For personal use though, too big for me.

13. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Obviously the GH3 and the E-M5 will get compared but they are very different cameras. It's great to have a real choice rather than a very similar offering with just a different badge, which could have happened.

14. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    One of the strong points for this system. :biggrin:

15. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    I shoot primarialy video and then its the other way around, why isnt any body talking about Olympus?
    I started to look into m4/3 because I have ordered a Blackmagic Pocket Camera.
    When I did my research for a m4/3 camera to get while Im whaiting and to use as B-cam later on I could only find recommendations and reviews about Panasonic.
    I thought to my self "what about Olympus?" but I couldnĀ“t find any good info about them for shooting video, so I bought the GH3.

16. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    In reality it's not as clear cut/black and white as this - but before I knew much about m43, my impression was that oly m43 bodies were more geared toward stills, and that panny m43 bodies toward video. This was especially my thought after the GH2 video hacks came out.

The OM-D has pretty lousy bitrate options, especially compared to the GH bodies. I'm thinking of getting a GH3 for video, and I'm so glad they share lens mounts.

17. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Me too, the Olympus primes are soooo good at shooting video on my GH3.

18. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Could it be because it is bulbous and round and way bigger than it needs to be for the size sensor it supports?

19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly, I think it's a number of factors most have already mentioned

For the E-M5:
    - The the first with this level of image quality in a MFT body
    - The impressive IBIS
    - The compact size
    - The lower price (150 euros over here, body only)

Plus, it's retro and hip and pretty, and most photographers still don't really care about/know much about video.

20. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Go to forums or threads for video and the GH2 and GH3 will be mentioned preferably over a Canon 5DII and III.