Why is the E-M10 half the cost of the E-M5?

Anthonys

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Anthony
I thought it was because the took out features like the 5 axis IBIS and weather sealing but then it's got a higher spec EVF, WIFI etc.

Are the missing features really with as much as the camera? Has it also been built cheaper (thinner metal, more plastic?), or is it simply lower costs of technology a few years later?

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
I think the EM10 has the same EVF as that one in the EM5, and to me the EM10 is more worth buying, but lacks the AP2 port.

I thought about upgrading my E-PL5 to EM10 since they share the same battery, I'll gain more physical control, built in EVF and flash, better IBIS, electronic level (I assume EM10 has that), better LCD screen, focus peaking, fake ISO 100 and WIFI; what I'll lose is the possibility to use my higher resolution VF-4 that I'm very reluctant to give up; what I still won't get is 1/8000s shutter, better sensor, better AF and everything else. Probably if you check the list, there isn't too much to miss if you choose EM10.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
The E-M10 is awesome. It irons out some quirks of the E-M5, improves button placement/handling and just feels very slick in use. BTW - The E-M10 is built sturdy, unfortunately I dropped mine today on hard pavement (forgot to close my bag) and it landed on the base. On close inspection, it left a tiny nick, but the bottom of the camera seems to be a sturdy metal. Even the pop-up flash housing is metal. Neither Canon or Nikon even bother with metal housings on their DSLR pop-up flashes. My guess is they've streamlined production and reduced manufacturing cost. By all accounts the camera is a winner!

Leif

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leif
From my understanding the PEN models were never as successful as the OM-D so I guess it was a pretty smart decision to release a cheaper OM-D model.

Anthonys

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Anthony
Yes - I guess the low cost (compared to other models) is really driving sales. Maybe they just took a hit on their profits then, combined with more efficient, cheaper manufacturing. Instead of cutting costs on the build or technology..

If that's the case then definitely makes sense to buy an E-m10 over an E-m5. I wonder if that also means they need to release an updated E-m5 with more features so they have more separation between the low, mid and high end OMDs?

Ian.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ian
For the money I paid for my E-M5, the flucked up ergonomics of the buttons is a real "pain to own".

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
For the money I paid for my E-M5, the flucked up ergonomics of the buttons is a real "pain to own".

Curious: would you give up weather-sealing and the other features of the 5 for the better ergonomics of the 10, all else being equal?

hrtrulz

New to Mu-43
I wonder if that also means they need to release an updated E-m5 with more features so they have more separation between the low, mid and high end OMDs?

I can't see how they can release a updated e-m5 with taking away sales of the em-1.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
I can't see how they can release a updated e-m5 with taking away sales of the em-1.

By keeping the EM-5 smaller and cheaper than the EM-1. Nevermind, that would do exactly what you are saying. I think the EM-1 is for those who want or at least don't mind the larger size and and are willing to pay to have the 'best' :43: camera out.

Zobeid Zuma

Mu-43 Regular

Care to elaborate? I haven't found any problems with the buttons on my E-M5. I do have some gripes, though. The eyepiece just won't stay put (I'm on my third), and the whole Olympus menu system and user interface is severely in need of overhaul. I've got to say the E-M5 has been a great performer for me, anyhow. It always seems to come through.

I do think the E-M5 should be next up (within the OM-D line) for a model refresh, and I'm curious about where they'll take it.

hrtrulz

New to Mu-43
By keeping the EM-5 smaller and cheaper than the EM-1. Nevermind, that would do exactly what you are saying. I think the EM-1 is for those who want or at least don't mind the larger size and and are willing to pay to have the 'best' :43: camera out.

As I see it the e-m1 is pro level and e-m10 is the consumer level. Only thing I would like to have is weather shielding on the e-m10, won't stop me buying.

Leif

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leif

My guess would be that the next E-M5 gets like the E-M10, but with weather sealing, 5-axis Ibis (but no internal flash), and maybe the viewfinder of the VF4/E-M1. The pros of the E-M1 would still be the larger size for large lenses, more buttons and the 1/2 switch, the two AF systems, the pc-sync port and the mic input withoug blocking the hotshoe like the adapter does on the e-m5.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
. . . . ... I wonder if that also means they need to release an updated E-m5 with more features so they have more separation between the low, mid and high end OMDs?
Well I certainly can. But that is because I know that's what happens historically with camera manufacturers. Just learn some of your camera history ..
They might make a E-M5n to "have more separation" then release an new feature packed & updated OM-1n..Err... I mean E-M1n :wink: . Yea .. Like I said .. know your camera history.

As I see it the e-m1 is pro level and e-m10 is the consumer level. Only thing I would like to have is weather shielding on the e-m10, won't stop me buying.
That's how Olympus sees it too I would bet. Even there model designation system is the same as when they produced type 135 film cameras. Such as OM-1, OM-2, OM-3, ect. being cameras with single digit numbers for the professional line, and then cameras designated OM-10, OM-20, OM-30, ect. with double digit numbers for the lees than professional user. Yea .. History is a helpful thing to know ..

Also I love how they Continue to use the M Moniker in the models as a Nod to Mantini ((O = Olympus, M = Maitani).

gr8Shot

Mu-43 Regular
... For the same reason that a new $500 television has better features than a 2 year old television that cost $1000. Features trickle down to lower priced lines. Vendors balance cannibalizing existing product lines versus falling behind competitors. The E-M5 would be due to be discontinued except that it still sells well. That speaks of good E-M5 design versus a radical marketing plan for the E-M10.

klee

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
they definitely found ways to cut the costs on the em10.
the SD Card slot was moved to the battery compartment
there's no support for a battery grip, so no electrical contacts
no accessory port
cheaper IBIS system

these are all major electronic features which can cut manufacturing and component costs.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Am I missing where the E-M10 is half the cost of the E-M5? It's $700 vs $1000 in the US if you were to buy brand new. Used E-M5 pricing is a steal IMO, tho I would like to have the wifi the E-M10 has....

Oly is updating their cameras off cycle of each other. So they'll likely eat into each others sales at one point or another, but they have distinctive feature sets. E-M1 is clearly pro, large ergonomic body. E-M5 is semi-pro. E-M10 is consumer. Now, can they maintain this? I don't know. Then you have things like the E-P5.

Anthonys

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Anthony
I was referring to launch prices. In the UK the E-M5 was £1000 body only, the E-M10 launch price is £539.

Granted the E-M5 is £619 now..

Latest threads

Top Bottom