Why is liveview preview sharp and the image soft?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by etphonehome, Apr 15, 2013.

1. etphonehome

etphonehome New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2013
    When I preview an image I'm about to snap through the live view it appears super sharp and in focus yet when I take the image even at high shutter speeds it turns out soft?

I swear the live view looks 3x times as sharp as the subsequent image. Does the live-view super sharpen the live feed for focusing purposes or am I doing something wrong?
  2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Are you seeing the live view and the final image on the same size screen (the LCD)? Remember to consider the "magnification" of a larger screen versus the LCD used for live view.
  3. etphonehome

etphonehome New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2013

Even if I have my camera on a tripod and use the 10 second timer, the image on the live-view screen will appear super sharp until the snap and image preview flashes up where it will look much softer. This is also the case for the EVF. The live view looks ultra sharp but the image will turn out soft. I'm just wondering whether the live feed is sharpened more than the resulting image or if my camera is defective?
  4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Try going with the preview button, and see if that makes a difference. What are you shooting?
  5. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    - Did you have a look at the images on your computer screen? How is the sharpness?

- If you are shooting raw you are looking at a low res jpg which is embedded in the raw file for review purpose. This may present a softer image than the image you see in preview.

Hope this helps.
  6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have the same issue with the K-01. But in PS, it will usually sharpen up nicely. I have thought it may be the JPEG engine, but don't know. It is a bit of disappointment, but workable.
  7. 00r101

00r101 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2012
    What shutter speed? SLow shutter = blur but Live = sharp