Why is GH2's user manual SO DAD?!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by JzduHD, Sep 28, 2012.

1. JzduHD

JzduHD New to Mu-43

Sep 28, 2012
    Ok, sorry about the ranting on my first post. But after three years sitting on the fence (and being a Canon user) I finally made the leap into micro4/3. I am excited to have the GH2, but I found GH2's manual frustrating to get any useful info from. I spent two hours last night just to find how to format a SD card. In the 200+ page manual it has several pages of brain dead instructions on how to insert an SD card and how not to damage it while putting it in, but nowhere did it talk where to format the SD card in camera... Then there are alphabetical soups like SFH, SH and many others that Panasonic just assumes people know what they are.
    Anyway, are there any user manuals out there that are written in understandable terms and offer good intermediate level user guide for someone who has shot Canon DSLR in photo and video for a number of years?
    Thanks much for sharing the info.
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The manual is pretty awful, no question. People have been complaining about Panasonic (an Olympus) manuals for a long time.

One thing that helps is to download the PDF version so that you can search on terms you're trying to find. I'm pretty sure the things you mention are in there, they're just hard to find.

I did two things when I got my GH2. First, I sat down with the manual and camera in hand, and went through it pretty much page by page, actually trying them out on the camera. Then I took the opposite approach. I went through the camera menus item by item, searching the pdf to find what the manual said about them. This really helped me learn the camera.

You can get the manual here:

3. JzduHD

JzduHD New to Mu-43

Sep 28, 2012
    Thanks meyerweb. Actually, I did do the searches in PDF, like the term "format sd card", "SFH" etc. But it turned up nothing.
    Anybody can point out on which page in the manual does Panasonic say how to format SD card or the definitions of SFH etc? Maybe I missed them.
  4. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I have to ask, what does 'SO DAD' mean?

Edit: nvm, i was so BAD.
  5. JzduHD

JzduHD New to Mu-43

Sep 28, 2012
    Well, so bad just means basic things like formatting an SD card was not even said in the manual.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the cam, but hate the manual.
  6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    LOL I thought it was another acronym I don't know (which is a long list).
  7. mguffin

mguffin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    Westwood, NJ
    Page 62 of the manual. From the Setup Menu. And in at least 3 other places in the manual when referring to formatting the card is has (P.62) next to each one.