1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why is 25mm f1.8 not as popular as the Panny 25/1.4?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rkhndjr, Aug 14, 2014.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I want one of these and the Panasonic costs so much more and gets so much praise that I am curious as to why the Olympus f1.8 version is rarely heard about. The reviews on Amazon are favorable. Any help?

2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    The Olympus 25mm is much newer, so most people wanting that focal length already bought the Panasonic. The extra aperture of the Panasonic is a major point for some people also, though personally I don't think 1.4 vs. 1.8 is a hugely important difference.

The Olympus is great though, especially if you prefer the smaller size. Most reviews give it a very positive rating, and I enjoyed it a lot as well.

Here's a long thread of people debating the merits of both, clearly both are great and it just comes down to minor personal preferences: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=67869

• Like Like x 2
  3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    This is the counter point thread - Is everyone abandoning the PL25?

I think they are both great lenses. The 25 1.4 has a different look. Personally I like it.

4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    i guess that the rendering from pl25 is playing in its own league. thats why people can live with its bigger size and prize...

5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The 25/1.4 has just been around for a lot longer so there are more people to talk about it, more people who own it, more people with sample photos to show.

There is also I think a "first to the party" effect. When the 25/1.4 came out years ago there weren't many primes for m43 and it is a really excellent lens for many reasons. So it got talked about a lot.

When the 25/1.8 came out recently there are plenty of primes and so despite being an excellent lens there really wasn't anything to distinguish it. Despite its apparent optical excellence from a conversation point it was very much "been there, done that". And of course you can't say anything about the new 25/1.8 without comparing it to the 25/1.4 when writing a review so all the talk of the 25/1.8 brings up talk of the 25/1.4 all over again.

6. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I read reviews on Amazon on the Oly 1.8 and two people did say the lens was a very tight fit on the mount. Aside from that all was very good. The price differential is what attracts me.

7. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    It's a great lens, but when you can find a barely used 1.4 for less than the 1.8, to me it's a no brainer to get the faster 1.4.

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    While I really liked the images that my PL 25/1.4 produced I came to realize that the focal length wasn't my sweet spot. I'm good with the 17 and 45 at the moment. If I decide I want the 25mm option again I'd start with the Oly because of cost and feeling that the focal length will never be a top priority.

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Good question. It's a little too late from Olympus. There's a lot of choices now for people who wanted one, and that includes used Panasonic 25mm and the fast new 2.8 zooms that many people seem to use instead of bright primes as before.

10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    My first thought tool..lol

Yes, both lenses are very good. The differences are very subtle. Either is a good choice. I actually prefer the look/feel of the Oly, but already was heavily invested in the Panny and sold the Oly. And as Demiro said, 25mm isn't my favorite focal length. I usually prefer tighter or wider.
    However, when it works it works well. Otherwise it's kinda meh for me. Superb in low light.

11. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I am in touch with seller of the 25/1.4 at a better price than a new Oly 25/1.8. I use a GF-1, do you think I should get it?

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I would say that it's actually not the case - The reason so many PanaLeica 25mm f1.4 lenses are for sale at prices below $400, is that people are "trading down" to the Olympus. I had been wanting to for a while, but I wasn't going to do so until I found an Olympus in pristine used condition for no more than $300. Well, I got one for $280 with hood, box, papers. And promptly sold (actually traded, as part of a deal for an E-M1) my PanaLeica. But not before I confirmed to myself that I preferred the look of the pictures taken by the Olympus.

I also think that, the real world transmission difference between these two lenses is noticeably less than 2/3 of an F stop. It's actually somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 F-stop. Which, when combined with the Olympus noticeably smaller size and weight, slightly greater corner sharpness at wide apertures, and better control of CA (at least this is the case on Olympus bodies), is the reason I prefer the Olympus.

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Sorry, duplicate post

14. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    When I look at the array of gear people have I wonder if I am the only person who has to quibble over a couple hundred bucks:)

15. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Generally the Oly lenses are more evenly sharp across the frame and vignette wide open less than the Panasonic lenses, but often the Panasonic lenses have a slightly higher peak sharpness. And yes the O75 is simply in its own league. The PL25 appears to have a slightly higher peak sharpness but is less even across the frame than the O25. It really comes down to what you want. Or just buy the O75 and shoot at f5.6 to get stunning sharpness across the frame. :biggrin: Like all broad generalizations you can poke holes in it, but basically both of these lenses are excellent. It depends on how you like the rendering especially wide open, and is the size of the PL25 a constraint (especially the stupid hood)? Once stopped down I suspect you will be hard pressed to see the difference.

I don't think you are going to get a clear answer on this question.

16. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I was going to get one of them but wanted to wait till the Oly came along, could not decide between the two as each is it seems a brilliant lens. I found a 25 Oly for a good price <£200 so snapped it up, only down side its a black one and I fancied the silver but hey its a minuscule downer. I love the lens by the way, it feels so natural and the IQ is superb.

17. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    The Oly 25 gets pretty stellar reviews. It was released long after the Panny. I have the PL 25, I like it and don't have any compelling reason to switch. If I was buying today I'd probably buy the Oly given the smaller size, lighter weight, and lower cost. Don't hear anyone say they think the Oly isn't a very fine lens.

18. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Rendering, has a Leica type look to the images. Also, the out of focus wide open some feel is a bit smoother but I'm not sure if it is.

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Oly 25 is a good lens, just late to the party. Very late. I've always wondered why it took them so long to release it.

20. toyanucci

toyanucci Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2014
    I think this comparison will put your heart at ease. I too pondered this question and sought out comparisons and found the one I referenced before ordering the Oly. I'm coming from a t5i and bought one of the em1's that was on sale on eBay this week! The lens and camera both delivered but I'm away till Sunday so I guess I'll get to play with them then!

I got the Oly for its size and price and it's slightly wider field of view and a little brighter (from the review) even though it's supposed to be slower; it also has a shorter minimum focusing distance. Amazon sent me the silver though I ordered the black, but I'm going to keep the silver so I can play with it and send it back in a week or 2 and get the black one.