1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why I'm thrilled with EM-1.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jberts, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jberts

Jberts New to Mu-43

May 5, 2014
    Over the last 5 years I've gone through the whole gamut. Canon 7D, 5D Mark II, 6D. I have actually still kept as a backup my old reliable 30D with 24-105. I had the 70-200 F4 IS and 2.8 IS and non IS. 24-70 2.8 and a bunch of primes. So when I went to my local camera store to try out the Fuji cameras, my salesman suggested the OM-D that they don't even carry. I tried out the EM-10 which I liked but was almost like a point and shoot compared to the Canon's. That's why I switched to the EM1 with the 12-40. Also purchased the 45 and 17. The original reason why I switched was the size factor, I feel with the EM1 I have down sized yet the image quality is very similar. I'm also enjoying this site very much. That's my intro and that's why I'm thrilled about my new camera.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

• Like Like x 6
  2. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Welcome to the forum

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Sometimes downsizing just a small amount can make a pleasurable difference, but downsizing too much can have the opposite effect. That's how I feel about my E-M1, even though I still use 4/3 lenses.

4. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    When I went To The EM 1, I sold all my lens and acquired 17mm, 45mm, 60mm and the 75-300. I couldn't be happier. Now when I go out with all my lens, it all fits in my ThinkTank I 30. I don't think about it, I just grab the bag and go.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

5. Jberts

Jberts New to Mu-43

May 5, 2014
    Is that the same bag as the Mirrorless Mover 30I? Nice bag also.

6. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Welcome!
    You started down the rabbit hole...time to pick up the 75mm to round off your kit :)

7. Jberts

Jberts New to Mu-43

May 5, 2014
    I've heard a lot of great things about that lens.

8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I am thrilled with my E-M1 and at the same time I'm not. After completely giving up on photography in the film days I started off with an E-P2 and went through E-M5 to E-M1 with the 12-40. This is a story of constantly increasing weight. The E-M1 + 12-40 is definitely not heavy compared to a full frame cam with 24-70, or say my Canon T90, but still I think it's out of the "light" realm :) Basically I'm starting to feel like I've just been training up to getting a DSLR :D

9. Jberts

Jberts New to Mu-43

May 5, 2014
    Coming from a DSLR, the weight and size difference is huge. And I have the EM1 with the 12-40. Though I may add that I do like to use the BlackRapid sling strap with that combo instead of the wrist strap.

10. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Funny you mention the 12-40... That's one lens I really don't feel the desire to purchase. When I moved from Canon (nearly all zooms, Ls and a few primes) I also decided to just get a few primes (with the exception of the 75-300II... I've tried the 12-40 but really the E-M1 (and all of the OMD cameras actually) have a completely different feel to them when paired with a relatively small prime.

11. Arcturus

Arcturus Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    Welcome :)

What lens are you going to get next and why is it the 75mm 1.8?

12. Jberts

Jberts New to Mu-43

May 5, 2014
    I'll use the 3 I have now and maybe down the line look at the 75.

13. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Pics pics! *crowd cheers! yet prepares to grab pitchforks and torches if pics aren't posted soon enuf.... *. ;D

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jberts

Jberts New to Mu-43

May 5, 2014
    When I get back from vacation that will be the next thing I teach myself.

15. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    I moved from a Canon 5D II to the E-M5. I didn't really like the E-M5 but I was quite happy with the files, as they were as good as the Canon 7D IMO … and that was good enough for a non-pro like me. I love my E-M1 and can't wait for the next iteration of the OM-D as I am expecting the C-AF/tracking to be at least as good as the Panasonic GH4 … and I will definitely get the 7-14/2.8, 40-150/2.8 and 300/4 PRO lenses when they come out. Meanwhile I am enjoying the Nocticron and 75/1.8 … as they are sharp wide open and I can get similar background blur/bokeh as a FF camera.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jberts

Jberts New to Mu-43

May 5, 2014
    I'm not familiar with Nocticron or any non Olympus lenses. But I know there are many good ones.

17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the user group! Make sure to stay away from the native lens image subforums (especially the 75mm!) :biggrin:

18. marcotronic

marcotronic Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2014
    Germany
    Hi,
    I worked professionally with Canon 5D Mark II many years before, usually with the 24-70 2.8 L and 70-200 IS 2.8 L and finally made the jump the OM-D E-M1 with the lenses in my signature. I'm extremely pleased with my setup, completely sold my Canon system and continue working with my Olympus system. I've never had so much fun taking photos! :) I simply love it.

My next purchases (as soon as I can afford) will be the Nocticron 42.5 1.2 and probably some longer tele zoom.

Marco