Why I'm switching to all Panasonic bodies

tlovegrove

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tim
I recently spent 3 days in Yosemite with an E-M5 (usually with Leica 25mm) and G6 (usually with Panasonic 12-32). I was expecting the E-M5 to outperform the G6, but I really don't think it did. I also enjoyed using the Panasonic menus (though admittedly super control panel is nice). And I've recently been doing a lot of video work, for which the Panasonics are unquestionably far better.

So my conclusion? If the Panasonics are equally adept at stills, and far better for video, why do I have an Olympus body? Now obviously the Olympus has some advantages (like the awesome stabilization), and I'm not at all criticizing the E-M5 as a poor camera. It's great. But my conclusion: time to replace the E-M5 with a Panasonic body - I have a GX7 on order.

Pics from the trip are here if you're interested - EXIF data is there so you can see which camera / lens was used for each.

Tim

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
What about the colors and JPEG ? I always wanted to switch the other way because everyone always raves about that.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Looking at the Flickr set it looks like the colours of either camera were no worse and no better than each other, which means a switch to one brand would be a sensible thing.

InlawBiker

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Greg
I'm thinking the best thing to do, especially if you like video, is to use a Panasonic body and pick up an Olympus E-P1 or E-PL1 for $75. This way you can have those JPEGs with image stabilization when you want it.

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
What about the colors and JPEG ? I always wanted to switch the other way because everyone always raves about that.

I've used both (Oly E-PL1, E-P3, OMD E-M5; Panasonic Lumix GH2s, GH3s, GX1, and GX7). On the GH2s the colors sometimes seemed a bit muted compared to Olys, sometimes not. GH3s images look great. But if one feels the Panasonic JPEGs don't look as good the fix is ridiculously simple.

A very few seconds with the LEVELS command in either PhotoShop (incl Elements) or the free program for PC called Fast Stone Image Viewer (www.faststone.org). Just move the leftmost slider in a "tad" and that gives the image more "punch".

Looks like I'm gonna "run with the herd" and sell one of my GH3s to partially fund a new GH4,

tlovegrove

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tim
I shot all RAW, and so really any color difference between the two sensors was a non-issue. As Bruce mentioned, those things are so easily fixed in PP that it's not at all a determining factor for me.

Inlawbiker you've got a good suggestion there. It's nice to be at the point where some of the earlier MFT bodies are dirt cheap now.

Jacquesass

Mu-43 Regular
Pics from the trip are here if you're interested - EXIF data is there so you can see which camera / lens was used for each.

I didn't bother checking to see which pics came from which camera - but you took some great pics, especially the last (the panoramic). Yosemite is an awesome place.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro

Ahhh, the wisdom of the internet. They are closer now, but in the past the Olympus did have more vibrance in certain tones. But head to head the differences were not as extreme or tilted towards Olympus as internet wisdom would indicate, and as far as I could tell, WB settings had a bigger impact on how they looked than the JPEG engine (I was unable to find a head to head to had the same WB settings). Yes they are different enough that if someone says they prefer Olympus JPEGs it can have a basis, but the difference is pretty small, and Panasonic JPEGs are not "bad" like internet groupthink seems to indicate.

Here is one casual head to head from DPR. Here the Olympus looks better in some, the Panasonic in others, but WB seems to be the big difference:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52292381

And here is Steve Huff (who can be a bit of an Oly fan boy, so take the text with a grain of salt). Again, the WB makes the biggest difference and he also points out the greater in camera sharpening of Olympus (which can be adjusted in camera, but sometimes lower in camera sharpening can be preferable. You can sharpen in Post easier than un-sharpen):

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/...-p3-part-2-out-of-camera-jpegs-color-and-awb/

markdaunt

Mu-43 Regular
Done exactly the same thing, Olympus and Nikon now gone and got GH3 (being replaced by GH4) GM1 for walk around and Blackmagic Pocket.

pcnyc

Mu-43 Regular
I switched to GX7. IBIS was the thing that held me back even though I've always liked Panasonic's video, now I can have both! as for the color and WB, I've read somewhere that GX7 improved on both areas compared to earlier models, which seems to be the case in my own experience, earlier models has this red feel to it, and AWB always make it a bit too warm IMO. but GX7 files looks right, and I prefer the AWB over Olympus's AWB+keep warm color OFF, which sometimes goes overboard and makes image a bit too cool and lifeless.

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the GX7 (as well as the GX1), and the GX7 definitely has more vibrant colors, although auto WB can still be hit and miss (but I have been using VSCO presets lately, which really magnify even the slightest WB errors).

chipbutty

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
I've just made the switch from Panasonic to Olympus and sold my G6 for the EM5! The G6 is excellent but I had far too many niggles with it. The GF1 is the only Panasonic camera I've enjoyed. I just don't get along with Panasonic bodies. It's great that we have two options in this camp. There's something for everyone :smile:

Real Name
Nic
I currently have a Panasonic sensor, a Samsung sensor, a Canon sensor, and two Sony sensors (not to be confused with two Sony cameras), which means that I have all my bases covered.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't rule out owning one of each eventually (GH4 and E-M1), but the two main selling points for the E-M1 right now are the IBIS and the ability to focus 43 glass decently. And even once the better telephoto options arrive (the oly Pro lenses), if I get them, I'd really rather shoot them on a stabilised body. That's the big split for me - video is the decider for Panasonic, IBIS for Olympus. And my lens bag is mixed, so why not mix up the cameras?

Besides, once I have my Oly set up I don't need to menu dive, and I freely admit the E-M1 is a much better camera in terms of haptics than the E-M5 ever was...

marcl

Mu-43 Regular
I have an E-M5 and a GM1. (I love them both.) I shoot RAW + JPEG. What I notice is the noise reduction is better controlled with the Olympus than the Panasonic at higher ISOs on the JPEGs. Using RAWs, the results are fairly similar. So the JPEG engine of the Olympus has a bit of an advantage there I think.

As for colors, I can't say I find Olympus JPEG to have much of an advantage. Maybe, maybe, do I like them a tad better. But I really like the Panasonic's too. I have made adjustments to both profiles to my taste.

val

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
William
I think Oly has a nicer JPEG engine (for those quick shares)

I'd greatly appreciate Panasonic to really focus on their JPEG engine and to release a firmware with the updated algorithms.

Latest threads

Top Bottom