Why I'm staying with Micro 4/3s?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by xdayv, Mar 19, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    G3 + 12-35 2.8 vs. D3 + 24-70 2.8:

For me, this is one of the strong reasons why I'm sticking with this system. How about you?
    • Like Like x 6
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    That's the only reason for me. If all cameras were the same size I'd only be using MF.

• Like Like x 3
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    That and a growing selection of (relatively) inexpensive glass that is equal to Nikon or Canons best.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Love shooting my Nikon DSLRs, but M43 is better suited when weight and size can be an issue.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Size is what keeps me with the GF3, and then it's the potential for some sweet lenses, like the kit 14mm. I do need more native lenses though.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I have spent too much on dammed good lenses and I can carry it all in a small bag.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

YUP! Same reason why I'm sticking with micro 4/3 too.... its kinda amazing how wide the lens selection has grown since I owned the G1.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    For me, it truly occupies the "sweet spot" between size and performance. I also love the diversity of the Micro 4/3 system, there's a body style for just about everyone.

Also: M4/3 seems to be evolving at a much faster rate than the typical DSLR line. It's exciting to see new developements, especially from two contributers (Panasonic and Olympus) instead of one.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For me, it's a few things:

1) Size - no explanation needed

2) Autofocus - MFT has the best AF system for my needs of any system I have tried (I've tried all mirrorless systems and nearly all DSLR systems)

3) Lenses - still the best compact lens lineup around
    • Like Like x 3
  10. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    same reason why i dumped my DSLR!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    +1 - and I really like the size/weight. :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    These are some of the same reasons I sold my DSLRs - all but one - the one I had converted to IR. But with a recent post here in the Mu43 forums, and ordering a set of 720nm filters, I may be getting rid of the converted Nikon too... Maybe.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I switched over to M43 from a Nikon kit just over a year ago. It was so fun that I didn't believe it so I switched back to a dslr just to make sure.

Now I'm sure.
    No more dslrs for me.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I hurriedly took a few pictures of my dSLR next to my m4/3 rig yesterday before selling the full-frame Canon outfit. Size & weight are the reasons I came to m4/3 and are surely the reasons I will stay. For my use the quality is 'good enough'. In addition to the much more convenient size and weight, prices for similar gear (lenses) are lower, a nice extra.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    It's been roughly a year since my conversion too. Don't miss the bulk.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012

Amen! to that. --> less bulk/weight. with my OM-D compared to my T2i, I want to carry it with me more often and go out taking pics now! :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    Canon 5D Classic with 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 lens (non -L and one of Canon's lighter lenses): 12 very good megapixels, usable ISO 100 to 3200, focal-length range 24-85mm, fastest aperture f3.5. Weight: 2 lbs., 14 oz.

Olympus OM-D with Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Olympus 45mm f1.8, and Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 lenses plus Olympus E-PL1 body with VF-2 electronic viewfinder for backup. 16 very good megapixels (OM-D), usable ISO 200 to 3200 (perhaps more), focal-length range 28 to 300mm equivalent, fastest aperture f1.7. Total weight: 2 lbs., 14 oz.

What more needs to be said?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I love my m4/3 gear, for it's compactness, performance and IQ, but then I use my RX100 and going back to m4/3, it seems huge!!! lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Is the GH3 making it a whole lot bigger? :biggrin:
  20. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    It does actually, but it's a nice camera, wouldn't want it any bigger though!! lol