Why I'm buying an E-M1II as soon as it's available

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by System13, Sep 25, 2016.

1. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    I have/had a Pro FF Nikon D3x, a 14-24 f/2.8, and a 70-200 f/2.8 but recently took my vacation of my lifetime to Italy. Traveling with the Nikon as carry on was always difficult with a bit of pleading and coordination required. Flying international meant even LESS room, so I convinced my wife I needed a newer and smaller system and settled on a lightly used E-M5II. Haven't touched my FF since and I'm selling all to fund the new E-M1II. My fear was loosing the detail and low light but after 10 days in Rome and Florence I took pictures in HiRez that convinced me to take the plunge. https://flic.kr/p/HVWXGR After this I won't rest (for now) until I'm shooting with the E-M1II

• Like Like x 9
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Looks like you have had some great success, and welcome to the fold!

3. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I carry E-M1, 12-40, 35-100 and 25/1.4 in this little bag:

hadley_digital_black_black_shadow_canvas_1.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I carry an EM-1, ZD 150mm ƒ2.0, ZD 50-200 SWD, EC-14, EC-20, batteries x8, EM5, Oly 17mm ƒ2.8, Bower 7.5mm Fisheye, 100oz water, tripod x2, skimmer pod, hunting knife, food, rope, emergency first aid kit, emergency survival kit, ground cloth, camo burlap, bug spray, raid jacket, and a 357 in this :biggrin:

[​IMG]FrankinPack 017 by RRcoleJR Photography, on Flickr

Edit - forgot about the ball head for the skimmer pod and the Gimbal for the tripods.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I am hoping the mk2 will be everything I want but I will not put down the money until I see some real reviews of the CAF w/ tracking.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    I was planning on picking up an E-M1 and I've decided regardless of the reviews I'm preordering. Having said that if the reviews say it's no better or worse than the E-M1 I would cancel

7. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    Looks pretty "modular" to me! You never drop any of the strapons in the water?

8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    It is and not yet but I have dropped my camera and 150/2 in the water a few times.

9. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    I'm not surprised... :D Amazing results tho. Keep it up!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Thank you, appreciate it. Everything is actually very secure on the pack and nothing is coming off unless I want it to. I am also very thankful for the amazing weather sealing of Olympus gear. My camera and lens have been in the swamp a few times now, one day I may actually use some kind of strap to keep that from happening but unlikely (have a real dislike for straps on my gear, to limiting).

Back to the OP........

I am really hoping the EM1 mk2 has the CAF/tracking that I am hoping for. Don't expect it to be Nikon D5 good, but I want to see they are moving that way. If they are I will get two, along with the full line of pro lenses. If not I will probably switch to a D5/00 because I am really wanting to get back into sports photography.

11. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    I have a (luxury) problem here myself regarding this. Going on a 1 month trip to Cambodia beginning of januari 2017. Would love to bring a new E-M1mkll on the trip, but am already in doubt if it will be shipping by than, let alone getting my hands on one before I leave, and/or waiting for initial reviews.

Sorry for hijacking yr thread, just before... :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  12. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    Since it's my thread and In
    the spirit of frankencases here's my new favorite mod.
    A small clip on the strap lug, attached to a 28-inch retractable key reel, which clips to my gear. If I drop it at 28-inches it doesn't strike the grond, I can use the retract for a little steadying tension, I can wrap the cord around the reel like in the second picture for no tension and it clips on and off the camera quickly and simply if I need to freehand it.

image. image.

https://www.amazon.com/KEY-BAK-SIDE...00_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=K1CMF3SD9K03V4Z08PTZ&th=1

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Interesting idea, how well does it work if you drop it with that lens attached?

14. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    I wear bandolier with this clipped center chest heart level. 28-inches is knee level so in the one test I ran the camera and this lens did not hit the pillow at my feet. They also make them with the cord being steel wire

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    I used these in scuba diving. They come in several "retraction forces", might be worth yr while to look in scuba shops... they are also saltwater proof lol

16. marz

marz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2011
    Pyrenees, France
    Marcel
    Can you show us how you carry your scuba equipment for camera retreaval? LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    100-400 :eek-31:

18. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    TBH my main worry about taking an expensive camera like the new E-M1 to Cambodia would be the sticky fingers problem.

My first and only trip there, my backup camera and main camera charging cord were both ripped off by hotel staff--and this was not a cheap hotel.

• Sad Sad x 2
  19. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    The key reel especially the steel wire one performs secondarily as an anti-theft device to help stop snatch and grabs. Hotel staff? No idea but I've used these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENLCO9M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to good effect as anti-tamper alarms

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    I should mention the retraction force is measured in oz., so it's no good at slowing the fall just suddenly stopping it before it strikes the ground

• Informative Informative x 2