Why I think M4/3 cameras will take over

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by npappy, Jan 21, 2015.

1. npappy

Jan 21, 2015
    My feeling is that Micro 4/3 cameras will def dominate the market by end of 2015 because Canon and Nikon are not innovating! check out this M4/3 Video by Photography After hours it goes into some of the stuff we are all missing from dslrs. We had just discussed this on a recent video about Micro 4/3 and mirrorless cameras I am hoping the video may be able to add to the great info on your search for the next best camera ! http://bit.ly/AfterHours_Ep1_pt2_other
  2. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    "Amen!" says the choir.
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Tell me who is going to "take over" based on what they are doing, not what someone else is not doing, and I'll consider it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    I get so tired of there needing to be a winner in camera gear.... as if there even should be one camera to do it all. Another school assignment question??

Yes, it will be the peoples format, suitable for everything.

... and people complain about the soviets
    • Like Like x 4
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    And welcome to another episode of "My camera gear is better than your camera gear" based on totally subjective criteria!!!!!!

Why some people can't understand that what works best for one photographer doesn't for another. I love using my OM-Ds, just as I love using my Nikon cameras as well. There is quite a bit of overlap in what I can do with both, but I love each format for those little things they do better than the other.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Doesn't matter what Olympus/Panasonic are doing better, you don't just overcome market-mindshare so easily. The mass market still sees Canon/Nikon/now Sony as the leaders of the pack, even if they're not.

For a parallel, see Windows Phone, which really does so much better than Android and iOS, is definitely a comparably mature operating system, but has struggled for, what, 7 years now, just to get a significant enough piece of the market to not be laughed at?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bjurasz

bjurasz Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Cedar Park
    And Apple will tell you the iPhone camera will take over everything as well, including mu4/3. gryphon1911 has it right. mu4/3 has a great place in the market. And it probably will take on a bigger role over time. But some markets are going to require a dSLR. That market might shrink, big deal, it won't go away. I once shot motorsports on a small professional level with a Canon 1-series and L-series 2.8 aperture telephoto primes and zooms. I would not want to do that with my Oly OM-D10, and would certainly not want to shoot on a major professional level with an mu4/3. But for what I do now, its the best option for me. Including some low level paid-for work.

Big deal the dSLRs are missing some of the features of mu4/3. Know what mu4/3 is missing from dSLR? Near telepathic response to the user, like my old 1-Series. Extreme build quality. Extreme reliability. Very long battery life. Light speed auto-focus. No mu4/3 camera can match what my old 1-series did in those respects. It also couldn't do some of the things my current Oly does. Big deal. Different tools for different needs.
  8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Well... actually they are if you look at sales numbers. Canon still has an overall lead but that's all in DSLRs. Sony has the lead in mirrorless and mirrorless is increasing overall compared to DSLRs. If the trend continues, Sony will be the overall leader soon.

Back to OP's point. The numbers don't bear out what he hopes will happen. M43 share is shrinking year after year. Especially due to Panasonic which has crashed. In 2014, Sony took the largest share of the mirrorless market. My eyeballs on the street bear that out. I rarely see people shooting with M43 anymore. I constantly see people with a NEX.
  9. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    To a large part, what is better, matters little for market share. Marketing, people assuming bigger is better, and lack of initiative from Panasonic and Olympus to be present in mass retail stores, makes it unlikely that m43 will gain much share. Then there is the question of what is really better. While I think APSC is a dead-end, m43 and FF (especially dslr vs mirrorless), have different strengths and weaknesses. FF DSLR has an advantage in focusing speed. Any FF (DSLR or mirrorless, i.e. Sony), can have the advantage of better low light performance and higher resolution for landscape photography, poster size prints etc. M43 has a size advantage, and Panasonic and Olympus are both great at adding nice features. (The GH4 for instance is one heck of a movie making machine).
  10. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    It would be super to see a surge in m43 popularity and marketshare.

I don't expect it, but it would be great.
  11. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Theo K.
    An in-law just bought a D800, his first serious camera after seeing me having so much fun in previous parties with my OMD. He feels that crop sensors are inferior. It's humorous seeing him very confused with all the buttons on his camera, and apparent dislike of using that gorgeous optical viewfinder. I thought a Sony A7 would be more suitable for him.

For serious cameras, there is no argument that most people consider Nikon and Canon. Brand history and market position are what most people follow when buying cameras as always. This mindset will not change in the short to medium term. Still waiting, mirrorless marketing needs to really step up but I haven't seen any indication of it. In many markets, mirrorless just don't exist. In the last two years, other than my fellows, I've only spotted one MFT in the wild. In local box stores, limited selections of mirrorless are displayed in a corner, with DSLR towering above. The worse part is that, due to volume, they are seldomly discounted enough.
  12. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    M43 will not be the 'winner' over all, ever.

We may all love and appreciate the benefits it brings, but while ever TV coverage shows the big guns of Canon & Nikon shooting the major events, that's where the vast majority of people will think about spending money.

Remember, we covet what we see, not necessarily what is best for our own personal needs. The big brands are spending a lot of money to keep people looking at those brands.

Panasonic and Olympus still have loss making M43 divisions and they don't have the resources (within those divisions) to compete.

Then we have the problem of what is best anyway? Before we can even begin to answer that we first need to define "best for what"?

You may think that M43 is best, and many here will happily agree, but if you're a shooter that needs things M43 doesn't bring to the party then it won't even get a look in.

Form some people it's the number of mega pixels. Maybe the EM5II will help here, but the vast majority of M43 are 16MP or below. If you're wanting 36MP then M43 is not going to be your choice. If you want more than 36MP (there are genuinely people who do) then even DSLRs don't get a look in.

Maybe it's really high ISO shooting for live events where you can't add your own lighting. M43 is not the best choice here. Ok, you can use it, but it may not be the 'best'.

There's wildlife shooting in the arctic. The EM1 may have weather sealing, but what do others offer? And then if you need weather sealing and high megapixel and high ISO where is the EM1 in the stack of options now?

I'm not even going to begin to talk about sports shooting...

If you're shooting video the GH4 is a great option, unless of course you need *really* low light events with no option for lighting (I've done lots of these), which means the Sony A7s may be better. OTOH, if you need 4K internally then the Sony may not be good and perhaps you should be looking at the Canon 1Dc?

Maybe you need awesome remote TTL flash capabilities. M43 falls down a bit here too.

I could go on.

You don't need to persuade me of the virtues of M43, I have two M43 bodies and 6 native lenses (more on the wish list) and rarely shoot DSLRs now, but honestly. I'm under no illusion that M43 will be the 'winner' in what is going to be a never ending race.

More to the point, am I even bothered about shooting with the 'winner', or do I merely want to shoot with what suits me best at any given moment in time? Far too many people have too much pride and self worth tied up in what they hope others think about them based on their gear. It's all rather superficial and pointless.

Your needs may be different to mine, so why would we both needs to be shooting the same camera, or even the same camera system?
    • Like Like x 5
  13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    You're right about Sony. Generally, living in a tourist summer destination as I do (not all it's cracked up to be!) I see mainly only DSLRs, with very infrequently a Sony mirrorless. Never seen a Fuji, and maybe once or twice a micro four thirds. In Portland and up near there I noticed a lot of Sony cams, probably more than any other brand or type.

They sure have mindshare with their brand.
  14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I hope m43 will stay underdog, so we can enjoy quality lenses and cameras for dirt cheap! :wink:
  15. Vinpocetine

Vinpocetine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2014
    My money is on the 1/2" to 1/3" range.

Whatever they can get away with sticking in a cellphone without needing to mate a large to.
  16. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    I do not believe in these kind of thesis at all.

I like µ43 but I see its limitations as well. When I go shooting sports I still prefer my 7D´s especially the MarkII: Best camera for sports...
    And in low light I love the 5DMkIII... Also here it is difficult to beat this camera.

But for traveling: µ43: best choice. Best compromise between size/weight and image quality...
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    The OP seems a little like he's/she's just promoting their link or youtube video.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Even though I was only listening to the video in the background while doing something else, I still feel that it was half an hour well spent.

SSSYURRR Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2014
    Moscow, Russia
    Sergei Yurin
    Is that really important to have a 'winner' in hands? Do leica owners really care that they havent seen any other leica owners on vacations?:) M43's are not the best maybe but defenitely not the worst imo, its just a tool.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    M43 is the best sweetspot for
    Size, sensorsize, design, price, build

I personally can't see a better system.

But Im still waiting for the perfect lens; 20mm f/0.95 AF and sized like o25 :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Mu-43 mobile app