Why I take photos .....

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by bilzmale, Dec 28, 2010.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

.... is a question I often ask but the last week has given me some reminders. We buried my mother-in-law last Wednesday just short of her 93rd birthday and it was wonderful to be able to go to images that captured her for inclusion in the booklet for her burial.

On Christmas Day we had my 4 kids and 8 grandkids plus brother-in-law, wife and my nephew/god-son for lunch. The first pic shows 7 of my 8 grandies plus 27 year old nephew playing with 30 year-old lego.

5299848557_00eb8130cc_o.

The second photo is my 34 year-old son and his 2 year-old god-son (our youngest grandchild) learning the secrets of a 25 year-old Transformers toy.

5300451720_b597920315_b.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    ^ I see Optimus Prime, the same lot of Legos I use to carry in a pillowcase 25 years ago, and my grandma (i swear she looks like that) is sitting on the couch.

We capture personal family candids for ourselves, but it's amazing how it can resonate with a total stranger.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill, I've stated before and will state again. The family album is the single most important work any photographer will ever do.
    It's such a shame that so many don't take it serious, well, untill it's too late.
    Your lucky to have the vision that will be passed down from generation to generation.
    Ya done good and I'm sure you will continue to do so.
    Maybe this thread will awaken some on the forum.
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    My sentiments echo Streetshooter's. As a father of a 3 and 5 year old, I've realized just how fast time moves. They will be "little boys" for the briefest of time. Photos are the only way to freeze that time. I know the images I have now will serve my wife and I well in the years to come. We're willing to do everything for our children. We owe it to ourselves to preserve at least some of their youth in the random images we make. For them as much as for us. Now go out and snap some family pictures, then give your loved ones a big hug! Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I understand what you mean. We are so lucky to be able to capture and share these moments.

All the best,

Colin

6. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    The first 3 months of my kids life was CHAOS, I don't remember much except how tired I was; but mostly all my memories of those awesome first days are a haze :( I guess that's why they call it "mommy memory"

But even then with my loyal P&S I did what comes natural to me, I took photos of everything!!

This pictures do not replace the missing time, but they make feel warm and fuzzy.

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Forgot to mention I had a slideshow of the last 9 Christmasses running on the TV (you can just see it in shot 2). It was a great source of merriment.

Yes 'Optimus Prime' and my son could still assemble it in seconds - I'd forgotten it could do that.

8. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    My mother passed away back in June and one of the most important things I had was 100+ years of family photos to work with when I put together a memorial slide show. My dad's favorites were the ones I took during a surprise 35th wedding anniversary party my siblings and I threw for them almost 30 years ago. They still cause him to tear up.

The value of family pictures cannot be overestimated.

Unfortunately the flip side is having my daughter look at pictures taken of me 30 to 40+ years ago and saying "Gee dad, you used to be pretty good looking. What happened?".

• Like Like x 1