Why I still love my gx85.....

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I got mine about 3 years ago when they first started to be discounted. It was (and is) my travel camera with the Oly 9-18 and 75-300 (or 35-100 f4/5.6). Since I won't be going to the SouthWest this year, it hasn't gotten much use in the last 8 months. That being said since I've been infected with video virus, it has once again it has become my Broll camera. I did the hack to have Cinelike D/V so it would match my G9. I then spent the additional money to put my second Hoodman Loupe on the mounting hardware they now sell for mirrorless which adds a 3rd stable point giving me good enough walking video with the Oly 9-18. The stabilization while not G9 level is very good if you have the "Ninja" walk done for video.

I skipped the Gx9 but will probably upgrade to the Gx10 when it comes out, but like the Gx8 will keep the Gx85 as it really has no economic value now but sill performs very well. Once my used Pany 12-42 gets here the Gx85 will probably live in the car to always be video ready. The big plus is when I put the Pany 14mm on it - still great video but a fine fixed lens 28 or 22 (I have the GWC1) f2.5 lens camera.

I find that while the Panasonic cameras sometimes look like boxes they are a tool that keeps working and getting the images/videos you need. The Gx85 is an amazing tool at good price, especially for the dual lens kit. Not top dog, but certainly runs with the pack for stills and video IMHO.

Last edited:

GrahamB

Mu-43 Regular
I’m with you both on this, i love my GX 80 and I have the Pany 12-60 on mine most of the time and it’s near perfect for what I like to photograph. I’m a vari focal glasses wearer and don’t have any of the problems with the viewfinder that others seem to have. Must admit I’m really interested in the new G100 as a second body, and I don’t do video at all.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
My wife uses a GX85. She is very happy, although occasionally jealous about the weather sealing on the GX8. My mother also uses one including underwater in a subal housing. Fantastic camera.

Personally I‘m still waiting for two features to come back to the series: Weather resistance and a good EVF. I don‘t care if it‘s in the current body size (would be preferable) or in the GX8 that I personally own and love.

mike3996

Mu-43 Veteran
The GX80 has a sensor, while kind of noisy, does extremely attractively thanks to the lack of AA filter. I like it very much, bought it 3-4 months ago. I don't desire any more of camera out of this form factor -- very perfect execution.

cluber77

Mu-43 Regular
The thing I’m missing on my GX80 is mic jack and weather sealing, maybe in GX10

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I want good sound I just mount mine on the Tascam D60 with the Rhode VMP in the flash shoe. Just snap my fingers when I start so I can sync in Plural Eyes.

Last edited:

Christo2977

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christopher
Why do you prefer the Tascam D60? I’m considering these for my GX85 video rig, but leaning towards Zoom H2n - higher over-all quality!?

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
XLR inputs / Phantom Power. Using upto 4 mics. Feed from and to camera. Mount on tripod, put camera on top. Carry the camera mounted to it to give a bit more weight for hand-holding the Gx85. It does cost more because of not having a builtin mic meaning to you have to buy one or a couple. But I think it is just better especially if your camera is cage mounted IMHO. Doing something you need really, really good sound rent the best mics you can. Just my opinion because it suits my specific needs.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom