Why I should not let go of my G3 for a GX1

krijtin

Mu-43 Rookie
I picked up a brand new white Panasonic G3 4 days ago dual lens package (14-42 and 45-200) and was happy with it. After 2 days, I saw a brand new GX1 package (14-42 and 14mm) on sale and it was cheaper than the G3 kit I bought.

The thought of selling my newly bought G3 has been bugging me. My main consideration is the portability. I want a camera I can lug along wherever I go and after spending few days with my G3, I feel it's a bit bulky for me. The portability (and the looks!) of the GX1 maybe is what I'm looking for.

I haven't went out to take some shots yet so I don't feel the need yet for the VF. But I'm sure it will be useful later on.

Now I'm trying to convince myself to stick with the G3. Selling the G3 and going for the GX1 may just be an impulsive decision.

ripleys baby

Part time philistine
Real Name
Forgot
Is there really that much difference in the size ?
(i've not seen or compared the GX1)

I wont lie, I've had and still have issues with the G3. But I've still got it.
Because, its a great camera. And the picture quality is spot on .

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
what about the articulating LCD? That I've found pretty useful at times. Do I *need* it? No, but it sure is nice to have. So is having an EVF and hotshoe open, or else I'd get the GX1 as well =)

ripleys baby

Part time philistine
Real Name
Forgot
what about the articulating LCD? That I've found pretty useful at times. Do I *need* it? No, but it sure is nice to have. So is having an EVF and hotshoe open, or else I'd get the GX1 as well =)

Plus one with the articulating LCD

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
They're nearly identical cameras except for the built in EVF and articulating screen. And usually the G3 is a good deal less expensive (for now) because the GX1 still has the "new camera" WOW factor. It sounds like you found an equally good or better deal on the GX1 so it should just come down to which you prefer. If you prefer portability to the EVF and articulating screen, you should get the GX1. its not a lot smaller in the body, but the EVF on the G3 is pretty bulky - not so much in terms of the hump adding to the height of the camera but it extends to the rear a good bit with increases the functional depth of the camera a lot. It also depends on what lenses you want - sounds like the 14-42 is a given but do you prefer telephoto or wide angle shooting??? That should govern whether you want to trade off the 45-200 for the 14mm.

Then again, if portability really is your main concern and the last stop of low light capability isn't a huge deal to you, you should look at the GF3 or the Olympus EPM1 or EPL3 because they're all a good deal smaller than either the GX1 or G3. The sensor isn't quite as good but it really doesn't matter much except in very low light, so add that to your list of possibilities to reconsider.

They're both/all good cameras - the technical differences between them are pretty small. So you just need to figure out what the most important features/functions are for you. If portability is your primary want, you might be barking up the wrong tree with either the G3 or GX1...

-Ray

Grant

Mu-43 Veteran
Now I'm trying to convince myself to stick with the G3. Selling the G3 and going for the GX1 may just be an impulsive decision.

If it was me I don't think the hit would be worth the improvement. But in your case and if I were a Panasonic sales rep I would say spend, spend, spend!

It is true that the body of the GX1 is smaller than the G3 but when all is said and done it is just over 1/2 oz lighter. Now if you ever add the EVF all that oz savings will vanish. The limiting small size factor of your equipment is not the body but the lenses. If you are really into saving oz, millimetres, and spending money then replace your two lenses with the new G X Vario ones. If after that you still want to make Panasonic richer why not consider the 20mm f/1.7.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
viewfinder + tilting screen + selling $$$ hit in the wallet = keep the G3

really the sizes are close enough to not matter. Neither is too big to go anywhere you want. IQ is close to a wash from what I've seen.

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
Agree. I'd keep the G3, but if that is an issue then sell it and buy the GX1, only be sure it is not an acute attack of GAS. Go out, shoot with the G3 and then make a choice.

For @ripleys baby: what are your issues with the G3?

starlabs

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Hiep
Handling issues are very personal and as everyone can see, varies greatly from one person to the next.

"Compactness" is just not about weight. A built-in EVF is nice, but on SLR-style bodies it does stick out. To the OP, I would recommend you handle a GX1 in person to see if you prefer that.

ripleys baby

Part time philistine
Real Name
Forgot
Agree. I'd keep the G3, but if that is an issue then sell it and buy the GX1, only be sure it is not an acute attack of GAS. Go out, shoot with the G3 and then make a choice.

For @ripleys baby: what are your issues with the G3?

Grip is fine for me. My issue is the jog dial.
Fo example. Turn to change aperture and find i have pushed too hard and
i am changing compensation. Even trying to be precise and careful, i find myself changing the wrong setting.
Using legacy lenses is easier because the jog dial is then only used to go
from ex comp and magnify focus size, but i still find it impossible to do it quickly.

I also find myself changing and setting iso & wb far to frequently.
I am loving the results i am getting from the G3, but most of the time the
handling issues (I) have with it are pushing me back toward cannikpen SLR.
Having Said that , I am remembering the nasty banding my 7D gave me.
I have found the G3 a lot cleaner in the image dept.
A more pronounced jog dial and stiffer buttons would go some way to cure th G3 for me.
Panasonic G3. Great but frustrating ! (for me)

elandel

Mu-43 All-Pro
i am changing compensation. Even trying to be precise and careful, i find myself changing the wrong setting.
from ex comp and magnify focus size, but i still find it impossible to do it quickly.

A more pronounced jog dial and stiffer buttons would go some way to cure th G3 for me.

I have no issues with grips or jog dial but with buttons. sometimes I change the wrong option because I press ther wrong button without looking. Now itss going better because I'm getting used to it. In any case I simply love this little camera so I'm trying to go over its downsides for me.

Vulpix

Mu-43 Regular
If it wasn't for the release of the GX1, I would probably not have went m4/3. :)

timothysoong

Mu-43 Veteran
Use the GX-1 in bright sunlight and you'll understand the benefit of the built-in EVF of the G3.

And if you were to use an LVF2 on a GX1 on night time. You'd wish you have a G3 so you can use an add-on flash. You might think you can point and shoot in dark places but in low light condition youd need stability and an EVF will improve stability. Therefore with the G3 you have the option to have both the external flash and EVF.

Vulpix

Mu-43 Regular
And if you were to use an LVF2 on a GX1 on night time. You'd wish you have a G3 so you can use an add-on flash. You might think you can point and shoot in dark places but in low light condition youd need stability and an EVF will improve stability. Therefore with the G3 you have the option to have both the external flash and EVF.

I never use flash, and those rare times that I do I will just remove my LVF2. Perfect for someone like me who doesn't shoot at night.

MrDoug

Mu-43 Top Veteran

I Love the G3.. I was worried about no IBIS.. but, really not a issue.. and as far as the Interface and Menu. it's not a problem .. very simple.. even a FIFTH GRADER can do it..LOL Plus the G3 with built in EVF.. Big Plus. I have EPL3 but if I want to view with EVF, I have to slide that VF-2 into the Hot Shoe all the time.. plus putting it in my bag with the VF-2 is a pain.. just my 2 cents..

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
TIf you prefer portability to the EVF and articulating screen, you should get the GX1. its not a lot smaller in the body, but the EVF on the G3 is pretty bulky - not so much in terms of the hump adding to the height of the camera but it extends to the rear a good bit with increases the functional depth of the camera a lot.
-Ray

I love the that the viewfinder sticks out the back of my G2. It keeps my nose off all the buttons. The articulating screen is extremely useful. I use it as a waist level finder and for difficult angles.

Over the holidays, at family gatherings, I used the viewfinder and a bounce flash at the same time, something impossible on the GX1.

Fred

Latest threads

Top Bottom