Why I shop the internet...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Zariell, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Well it's Presidents' Day, a local camera store says today all there lenses are on sale, and while I don't really need a new lens. I know they have a bit of Olympus and Panasonic stuff so I figure what the hell.

I arrive and head to the case with the scattering of m4/3 stuff, the sales clerk walks over, and asks how he can help. I ask what the sale prices are, he hesitates a moment and then tells me the sale doesn't cover Olympus or Panasonic lenses, I of course mention that there is nothing mentioning this at all just that ALL lenses are on sale. He shakes his head and gets the manager who assures me that it's only for Canon and Nikon, and he can't help that I would assume all lenses means ALL lenses, then he goes on to tell me that Nikon mirror less lenses are on sale, and that the build and image quality of the Nikon's exceed my Olympus gear, and I should switch to Nikon, at that point I just shook my head, and walked out.
    I should have pulled out my E-M5 and bonked him over the head with the tank like 75mm but I respect my glass to much :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hmmm....I haven't ran into that type of issue at my local brick n' mortar store....:redface:

Then again, there are bad internet websites too :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    All the good brick and mortar camera stores run robust online businesses anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    To be fair this is also the camera store that had the 899.00 75mm for 1049.00 and the Panasonic 100-300 for 600.00 instead of 499.00, which is why even though I would prefer to shop locally, I end up going with a decent online store like Adorama, B&H, or Amazon.:mad:

5. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I went to a local store Saturday to pick up a short strap, and pulled out the Oly D to try it on. The clerk was cool, but the store owner said something about it "only being a point and shoot". I said he ought to check it out, it might just be more camera than he thinks...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I think your story raises a good point: despite being in the camera business, it's shocking how ignorant many brick-and-mortar salespeople are about some camera gear, like m43 cameras and lenses. And it's completely inexcusable when the store actually sells the equipment in question!

I don't know how they stay in business, I really don't.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 67DGS

67DGS Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have been lucky where I live, the brick and mortar guys that I know seem to be m4/3 fans. As a matter of fact, a number of years ago, one large store commercial account salesperson (I bought cameras for my employer) was the first person to introduce me to the 4/3 system. He sold me with the IBIS for legacy lenses. At the store where I recently bought my EPL-5 both salesman I talked to shot with Olympus and Panasonic m4/3.

8. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I think they're getting their lenses from the Canadian distributors, hence, the higher than normal U.S. prices.

9. Zariell

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I highly doubt that, sorry but I think they are of the opinion that they like to make premium profits for keeping the few things in stock.

10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I wish we had camera shops in my area that stocked a variety of m43 lenses. We have one shop that sells Olympus but never has more than three lenses. We have another shop that sells no MU43. So I have no access to Panasonic products and very limted access to Olympus. I have to conclude that this area has not bought into m43 very heavily.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Pretty much the same in my area - the few camera stores we have can't be bothered with :43:. I try to shop locally but the internet is the only solution for many things that I purchase. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wayneb

Wayneb Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    I live in an area with no camera stores, I live in a small town but it is close to an area with about 500,000 people and not one camera store. We have Best buys that sell cameras and they don't have micro four thirds stuff at all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I think that like any retail experience, the quality and knowledge of the personnel will greatly affect the consumer's impression of the store in general. We have 1 local chain of camera shops in my area and the quality and knowledge of the personnel vary greatly between locations. At one location, the manager didn't seem to know that Panasonic m43 lenses could be used on Olympus cameras while at another the sales clerk explained to me the theory behind the light gathering capability of the photo sites on various types/sizes or sensors, while the other clerk spent an extended period of time patiently walking a novice photographer in depth through the advantages and shortcomings of the various models of Nikon mirrorless cameras. Its all about people and finding a store has staff that caters to your needs. If one doesn't exist in your area, the Internet may very well be the best option.

• Like Like x 1
  14. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    I usaully shop the internet because its better deals everything is almost double the price even with shipping and fees and i look up reviews and come to forums for advice no need for an opinion of one sales guy.