1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why I moved from DSLR to u43

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by arad85, Oct 11, 2013.

1. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    After all doing comparisons and figuring :43: was good enough quality wise, it was a session with a 5D2 and 70-200 on one of the outer focus points which never really snapped into focus that made me ditch FF DSLR in favour of the G5. Now we have on-chip PDAF in a DSLR, this article confirms to me why: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-70d/9

• Like Like x 1
  2. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    For me it was not focus issues per se, however I was using the same 5D2 with the same 70-200 f/2.8 L lens (plus other lenses) on a motorcycle assignment. The size and weight penalty drove me to take a second look at m4/3, which I'd previously discounted because of the x2 crop factor.

3. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

No need to switch. FF, APS-C and M43 make a kickin' trio.

• Like Like x 3
  4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Yep... no need to restrict yourself to just one format if other formats offer benefits you appreciate having. No single format does "it all" for everyone.

5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    This was not a :43: is king and everything else is pants post... Apologies if it came over that way. More that it was the final straw in my journey to :43:. In fact, had on-chip PDAF been available a few years ago, I might not have sold....

The point I was making (albeit badly) was that looking back, I probably took as many photos checking focus as I did photos of things interesting. The fact it was not always 100% spot on used to really bug me, and now I know why - the off-chip PDAF just isn't accurate enough for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Well, that is exactly how I took your post, and then shared what bugged me with my prior system and why I changed.

As some have shared one system may not be all things to all people. However, I did choose to jump in with both feet and after swimming a bit left my dSLRs behind [sold them] . All systems have compromises, but I've chosen the m4/3 over the FF 35mm.

I’m glad the superior accuracy of the m4/3 focusing system was just the ticket for your work, it’s good that you are here and sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    BC/WA
    I love shooting sport with FF + 70-200.
    I did try it with E-P5 with 35-100 and...C-AF is just not good enough.

For static objects AF is fine, no complains (mostly).
    For moving objects I still have an issue with AF...Its dummy.

I may change my mind with more games that I will shoot this week..

8. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Accurate focus and small size were selling points for me in changing from Pentax K-5 to Olympus E-M5. No regrets at all. The E-PL2 makes a great backup and with the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 it's really compact.

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The E-M1 is a totally different experience. I have been very pleased with its sport shooting ability.

10. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    BC/WA
    - What lens do you use?
    - Its really doubles the price + adds more weight...

I cant convince myself to pay double for c-af and more features that I dont need...