Why i love the E-P1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kimnkk, Dec 1, 2011.

1. kimnkk

kimnkk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    Me!bourne, Australia
    I just got hold of an E-P1 because it was an absolute bargain. Its almost identical to the E-P2 bar accessory port and 2 art filters - how can you deny it for the ridiculously low prices it goes for these days?

IMO it (and the E-P2, E-P3) is one of the better looking cameras on the market. Olympus make good looking cameras in general IMO, at least their m43 line anyway. Their 12 and 45mm lenses look superb too (can't say the same about their kit lenses though).

Paired with some leatherette, the E-P1 is sleek and no one would bat an eyelid as you bring this up to take a photo of them! That's the beauty of it - it looks so retro it is really unobtrusive.

Who else thinks the E-P1 is under appreciated and un-loved?

2. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    The shortcomings of the E-P1 are not a problem for many users (me included) and as so often these days are exaggerated by constant repetition on the interweb. Often by people who've never even used one :rolleyes:
    And you're right about the styling but don't forget the haptics. It's a joy to use. Not too small and with controls that fall nicely to hand.

I'd say the Oly kit lenses are as good if not better than anyone else's.

Note to self: Order leatherette kit!!
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    It's a modern classic....as simple as that. To me one of the greatest things about it is the way it rests in your end. To me, it FEELS the best of all the m4/3 cameras, too.
  4. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I totally agree. I just bought an E-PL2, and I still prefer the E-P1! It's just such a nice camera. Since I shoot on a tripod, in manual focus, 90% of the time, the supposed short-comings of the E-P1 are not apparent to me.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-P1 is still the sexiest... ;)

6. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2010
    UK south East
    It's a beauty and all controls are easy to use. I wish I had not of sold mine now. (off to scour net for e-p1 bargains) its great jpeg quality is worth a mention too.
  7. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    A colleague and friend of mine recently bought a brand-new, left-over E-P1 at a very friendly price. No complaints from her. In fact, she uses the Pen a lot more than she does her Canon DSLR. But she does like to borrow my lenses a lot. :)
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm getting reacquainted with the E-P1. It's nice. It does require a bit more work than my G2 but I don't know that I'd really call them shortcomings. It really seems to like the Panasonic 14. They get along very well together.
  9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Yeah. I meant to write "supposed shortcomings".
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    The EP1 LOVES the 14mm. Before I got my EPM1, I married the 14 to the EP1 and was shooting B&W. It's a fantastic marriage for that. Not sure why, but it's very natural.
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree. The E-P1 and the 14 are really a cool combination. I think part of it is that the 14 is reasonably fast to AF on the E-P1 (where the 20 is not), is quiet, can close focus and size wise creates a nice compact package.
  12. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I love my E-P1, for look and feel, but especially for functionality/ user interface. Since I got it, my E-PL1 has been mostly ignored. I don't have a 14, but I keep my 17 on the E-P1 unless I am shooting with legacy lenses. The combo is great for me, even though I know people complain on both, and the SUPPOSED shortcomings really don't affect me. I find all the hating on the 17 to be exaggerated as well. It is a pleasure to shoot and gives great results. LOADS better auto WB than the PL1.

I also honestly think it looks better than the E-P2 and E-P3 as well, since it does not have the extra bump for the accessory port.

At the rate new models come along, I guess it will be at least E-P5 or E-P6 before there are enough real improvements to tempt me to an upgrade.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Well, it's been almost a year since anyone posted to this thread, but going through pictures last night, I found this industrial photo I took shortly after I got my brand spanking new E-P1, some time ago now. I sold it for the E-P2 (which now sits neglected because I use my superb E-M5) because I like having an eye-level finder, for ease of viewing, but also stablility. The E-P1 is a good camera, though, even now. If some machines do things better, well, the old original digital Pen can still do things very well indeed. Besides, as has been said already in this thread, it's awfully pretty.

The picture below was taken at 3200, turned from raw to tiff in Studio (which is all I had at the time) then given a bit more noise treatment in NeatImage. The time spent was worth it for a picture I like. With some careful post-processing, I never found the E-P1 or E-P2 unusable at higher iso.

• Like Like x 3
  14. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    That's a lovely B&W image, no matter how old it is.

Thanks for sharing.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    I understand people's enthusiasm for the E-P1, although I don't have any experience with one. I do have an E-P2 (does that count?) and I like it fine.
  16. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    I needed to open a spot in my bag for another lens and was getting ready to sell my E-P1. I decided to sell my GH2 instead.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bcostin

Bcostin Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2010
    My E-P1 is still my default grab-and-go digital for daily use. The controls are second-nature. It's small, it looks nice, it feels nice, and it gives excellent results.

A few months after I bought my EP-1, I had an accident with my camera that resulted in a nasty gouge on the LCD screen. I've been successfully fighting off the temptation to buy a replacement body, since I've lived with the scratches so long already. And because I also have a G3 and a EPL1. But as the prices on these get lower and lower it's getting harder to resist.
  18. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Sure, it's basically an E-P1 that takes an accessory viewfinder,which I used all the time, and that doesn't have the gorgeous all silver body. The E-P2 is still my backup m4/3 camera, and I don't see myself getting rid of it. For the type of photography I usually do, I never found it as unacceptably slow as some people who require gear with faster focus and write times.
  19. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Had the E-p1 some time ago. Traded it away. Then got the E-p2, in hopes of getting the VF2, never did, but still want one. I took some very nice nature pictures with the E-p1, but don't miss it, because of the E-p2. My E-p2 has the fake leather cover, that makes it much more "retro". Would not want to have it "Bare" again. If I did not have a Pen at all, I would jump at the chance for a E-p1.
    I have recently been shooting with a Canon Rebel XSI and 50mm, 1.8. The Pen makes a great companion.
    It's riding on the "Stove Pipe" here.[​IMG]
    Shot a couple of wild turkeys this morning. 25 yards through open window of our RV.
  20. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Aren't wild turkeys just about the dumbest birds you've ever met? I had a flock of them run around in circles in the middle of the road because they didn't have the sense to get out of the way. Of course I was thrilled to have them there so long, and they eventually did figure it out.

Nice shot by the way!