1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why I love dpreview

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by caimi, Apr 5, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Where else can you get this level of photographic entertainment for free? There's a recent thread where a guy is comparing the image quality of the Pan 100-300mm to the Olympus 75-300mm II. Both pictures are horrendous and you suspect right away his "test" not only is unscientific but probably bone-headed as well. Sure enough, he finally admits he was shooting the scene through a window and hilarity ensues. I can't decide if the responses or his ultimate indignation at the criticism is funnier. Check it out.

2. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I was expecting hilarity, but I came away with sorrow, for the poster and some of the responders. Yet another reason to stay away from there.

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I like the website itself, but I just can't read the comments. I can deal with mistakes but the sheer absence of civility really irritates me. Internet forums are among the best examples of how important social cues are for reasonable human interaction.

4. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    You have to pick and choose over there. I've got to where I report anyone that isn't civil, it's starting to clear out the jerks.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I spend most of my time here simply because it's the friendliest forum that I've found. I was an early adopter of the nook reader and the forum for it was vicious. I finally gave up on it. Things heat up here from time to time but folks are pretty good about backing off and cooling down. Amin has created a great atmosphere on this site. :cool:

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I very rarely visit now and usually only for reviews as the forum became very overloaded with "armchair experts" proclaiming to know it all yet could not back it up with images as well as trolls who were just antagonising everyone and then the "grumpys" who just wanted to shout about how thier equipment was best and evertything else was rubbish!

Great thing about this site and the sister ones are the people & moderators, all are users and regardless of experience willing to share information, techniques and render assistance to all who ask in a pleasant and informative way.

hats off to the moderating team and in particular Amin for ensuring we remain "Troll free", a great achievement.

7. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I only wish it was more active. DPR does have lots of posts and their MFT forum is pretty civil.

8. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I do visit that forum quite often, mainly to see if anyone has found any good deals or if there is something new coming out that they have found on the net that they have actual proof of. As for the my camera is better than your camera, or the I do not like this camera after they have been saying that for the last five or six months, I really do not get into that or even take it serious. I got enough of that at the time that I retired from being a counselor in a middle school.
    I will say that I have gotten some very good information from there, some of it I have posted on this forum and people have appreciated it. There are some people on that forum with some severe problems, but that does not mean that I have to sit there and deal with their problems or that I have to avoid the forum like the plague. I have been a member of that forum for a very long time, and I have learned to pick and choose what I wish to read. As for people stating "I did this test and found this information", I pass by it. As long as the camera that I am using is doing what I wish to have it do, I will keep using it, although I may ask someone's opinion on how they are doing with their camera now and then. As for the crying and whining, I really do not need it, and do not deal with it. :drinks:

9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    The problem with things heating up is that, just as in a digital camera, the heat generates noise...:biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

10. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Okay, I guess it's an acquired taste but I find all of the pontificating and criticizing and plain old meanness on dp downright funny. All that light and heat generated over what is only a hobby to most of the participants! To me it can't be beat for entertainment value. I enjoy and respect this website for entirely different reasons but dpreview is a regular laugh fest.

11. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    The depressing thing is the m43 forum at DPR is one of the most civil forums at DPR!

There was another entertaining/depressing one recently where someone was comparing shutter speeds between the E-M5 and a NEX camera claiming that the E-M5 was metering wrong or lying about ISO or the usual non-sense. Insulting when people pointed out the very images he had posted actually showed the opposite he was claiming. He at least had the decency to come back and apologize after testing further and discovering his mistake.

But why be uncivil to begin with even if you think you are right? Why be uncivil even if you are ultimately right? There is some segment of the population that seems to think knowledge gives license for rudeness. Never understood that, but I've seen it in a lot of places (academia for one sadly) and it is always a negative reflection on the person even if they somehow consider it a virtue ("I have no patience for fools and that is a virtue damn you all!").

Anyway, I saw the first post of the thread you mention when it started and just looking at those images I knew to stop reading...

12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    I hear ya....but I don't think I could take too much of it.
    I had a look at the thread...yeah, I had a chuckle for sure, and the odd cringe. That poor bloke copped a pasting !

13. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I didn't see why the fuss about the window. It's not as though he shot through window glass with one lens, and then shot with the other lens without window glass.

14. Kenny

Kenny Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    KL Malaysia
    Honestly, this is the first place I go if I want to learn/know something about photography.

15. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I only looked at the 2 pictures. The panny looks really blurry. Did he leave the OIS on? I have shot through windows with mine at 300 many times and my pictures never look like that.:confused:

16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I usually find DP review forums neither sad nor funny, but rather infuriating. Too many brats having temper tantrums who should have been smacked years ago. Old brats, some of them, and playing cantankerous geezer is no more charming than acting out the spoiled child routine.

I tend to stay away, being an increasingly grumpy and quarrelsome geezer myself.

17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    This thread has confirmed what I've been thinking for a while - that mu-43 is one of the friendliest photographic forums around. We all know that dpreview is bad, but I spent a bit of time on POTN and that can be pretty brutal as well. It's one thing not suffering fools, but civility costs very little...

18. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I frequent DPR during lunch to get a good laugh.

The amount of wars and measurebating between the members makes me questions if people actually use their cameras to take pictures, or just use them as scientific instruments.

One of my favourite members of DPR has to be "photo perzon" - he buys every single new camera and innocently posts about his new gear. He just sets himself up to be trolled and flamed like no tomorrow.

19. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Love photoperzon! I can't wait to see what system he will buy into next. If you don't take things too seriously it's hard not to get a good laugh out of dpreview.

20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1 But I'm a bitty, not a geezer. :wink:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!