Why I like Micro Four Thirds

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jamespetts, May 19, 2013.

1. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I can fit all of this:

Camera equipment by James E. Petts, on Flickr

(For reference: the Olympus E-P3, the Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5, the Olympus 12mm f/2.0, the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f/1.4, the Olympus 45mm f/1.8, the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro, an adapted Pentax Super Takumar 135mm f/3.5 complete with adapter, lens hoods for the 12mm, 25mm and 45mm, the VF-2, a remote release, a cleaning brush, a cleaning cloth, a ploarising filter with a 46mm thread and an adapter ring between 46mm and 37mm, a spare battery, a spare flash card (and the plastic carrying case for the flash card in the camera), and the interchangeable grip that came with the camera).

Into a bag like this (Lowepro ILC100 - I recommend it for anyone after anything similar):

And still take photographs like this:

Simnel cake by James E. Petts, on Flickr

Winter flower by James E. Petts, on Flickr

View from Waterloo Bridge by James E. Petts, on Flickr

Ruskin Park in the snow by James E. Petts, on Flickr

For what it is worth, I still think that I could squeeze one more small lens in there: the 20mm f/1.7 would certainly fit, but I think that I might also be able to fit in the 17mm f/1.8, as well as a hood for the 60mm, which I do not currently have.

If I ever wanted a second body, that would not fit, so I should have to carry one of them separately (using the strap and having it around my neck, I imagine.
  2. mrkva1

mrkva1 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Croatia, Europe
    No, thanks

With my Pentax system, I had to take a back pack every time I went out.
    Ok, I usually take it now because I sometimes carry my film camera(s), but if I didn't - GF1 with 20mm over the shoulder, 14mm and 45mm in the pockets and away we go!

And the lenses are just great!
  3. previz

previz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2011
    Photo of Ruskin park is amazing! :2thumbs:
  4. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Thank you!

Edit: Actually, when I took that photograph, I didn't even have my full kit with me, as it was too cold to change lenses or to fiddle around with the equipment too much (and I didn't want any snow getting inside the camera), so I just had the E-P3 and the 14mm lens, which is a very compact ensemble indeed.
  5. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    The size, I think this is a good compromise with sensor size because optic size is really neat. And it takes better pics than my old E-3.

Attached photo: A top notch portrait lens this size, just wonderful. I use to have my small PEN Street bag with two lenses and extra battery/card and the camera on the shoulder. Light setup for most situations, no need for a backpack now :)

Attached Files:

6. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Totally agree with you guys, I moved to u4/3 recently and one of my motivation was the size.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I always separate my bodies into different bags anyways. This gives me a choice of kits to bring from smallest to larger. For instance you could get a small second body with your 20mm/1.7 or 17mm/1.8, and carry that in a small shoulder/waist camera pouch. That's something you could take with you literally everywhere, even when you don't "need" to bring a camera, especially if you go with a tiny body like the Mini or Lite. When you add your main kit to the mix it becomes a second body, but when traveling super-light it could be your sidearm. Especially when shooting primes having at least two bodies makes a tremendous difference. You should fit them both with EVFs though.
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Absolutely! It's a great system that is becoming more mature over time with more and higher quality lenses and excellent IQ. :cool:
  9. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    I like Micro Four Thirds!