Why I chose M4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    In a single word…‘sharpness’.

I have always been a staunch Nikon man since way back and my beautiful F2A’s and F3’s, those were the days, cameras with ‘soul’….. sorry I digress.

I was quite late going over to digital, my first one being a D90.

Over the last few years I’ve had……..D90, D7000 (a few) D5100, D300s, D600 plus an assortment of Nikon lenses.

What I found lacking in every single one was sharpness of OOC JPEG images, I’m not one for a lot of PP, mind you the best of the bunch was the D5100.

All of the above bodies were nailed down to a hefty monopod to prevent camera shake...I'm 70 and hand holding a D600 + lens was not easy

OK, so each body had the facility to ‘fine tune’ the AF to each lens…..a real PITA, and not for me.

Most of them I returned to Amazon (now my go-to photographic dealer, regardless of cost) the remainder were sold on.

I wanted a camera that I could take out of the box and get sharp images from the first shutter release not fiddle about fine-tuning.

Thinks………Lets give M4/3 a try, and along came a G3.

BINGO…I’d cracked it :2thumbs:...

The first OOC JPEG was pin sharp, even with the 14-42 kit lens, .......AND there was no monopod.

A word or two about the site…….The contributors to this site I have found to be very friendly and polite, more so than some of the contributors on one of my other sites who can be quite aggressive at times, perhaps it’s a ‘USA’ thing.

Thanks Amin and all.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

I would recommend you Olympus 60mm macro, Samyang 7.5mm fisheye and Oly 75mm 1.8. These are imo the sharpest mft lenses (and I mean sharper than all other already sharp enough lenses :biggrin: ) I didn't have a chance to try out the 75, but check the topic. I love it :smile:
  3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    edited! :smile:
  4. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Agreed, this is a great system for the number of value lenses with impressive sharpness even when shot wide open. Moreover, it's just more enjoyable for me to shoot with tiny M43 gear over bulky APS-C and FF rigs. I'm having the time of my life taking pictures since I got this system!
  5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I shoot Nikon DSLRs, currently a D3200 and D7000. I agree that the jpegs are soft SOOC, but Nikon picture controls are amazing. You can get sharpness (and color and tone) for the jpeg cook and get sharpening that's as good or better than LR. Nikon glass is also amazing (but pricey). Anyway, welcome to the M43 world.