1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why I am not getting an E-M5 (yet)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by demiro, Apr 20, 2012.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I was ready to plunk down my $1300 for an E-M5 then I started thinking...

Backstory: I have a 7 year old with some interest in photography. So I gave her an old Canon P&S (A630) and told her if she took care of the camera and did well in school I would buy her a camera at the end of the school year.

So, the end of the school year is rapidly approaching and she is doing very well (tough to screw up first grade), and has taken good care of the A630.

What I'm now looking at is a GH1 for her. She likes fully articulating screen (lots of self portraits and vids of herself) and viewfinder, and she prefers the DSLR styling, as she knows my DSLR is the "good" camera. Thinking maybe the Oly 14-42II (which I already have) + the 40-150. I'd go with an E-PM1(have) + 14/2.5 (have), 25/1.4 and 45/1.8(have). We could then easily switch lenses and/or bodies as needs dictate.

If/when I decide to go for the E-M5 it would just be a straight addition. I'd be set for lenses, and would keep the E-PM1 as a pocket cam (and try to get my wife to use it instead of her P&S).

Any logic to that? I know it runs contrary to conventional wisdom, as I am likely sacrificing some quality by forgoing the E-M5 for now, but honestly I don't imagine I'll even notice. The only monkey wrench that I really see is my daughter not wanting to share her GH1 :wink:. One of the reasons this all makes sense to me is to have that camera on hand for video, and to shoot MF lenses. That is not what the E-PM1 is made for.

Thanks (mostly for "listening").

• Like Like x 3
  2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Perfectly sound reasoning. You'll also be getting a camera that has all the kinks worked out, support for the RAW files will be in the Adobe products by then, and the price will likely go down some too. You might also see if Panasonic comes out with their answer to the EM5 in the way of a GH3 or G5.

3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Um, this might be the weak link in the logical chain :smile:

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I think it makes a lot of sense. I'd recommend getting the G2 over the GH1, because of the improved controls and the touchscreen. Image quality and video quality isn't as good, but it will be as good as your E-PM1, so if it's good enough for you, then it should be good enough for your 7-year old. I think she'll really appreciate the handling upgrades.

The 14-42mm and 40-150mm are definitely good enough for her. That's what I use, and although mine is the Panasonic 14-42mm, I have OIS turned off most of the time.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Added bonus: shared batteries between the G2 and GH1.

DH

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    +1 on the G2 it's IQ is comparable to the E-PM1 and it a terrific handling camera. The thumbwheel alone is worth the upgrade IMHO.

7. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    That's interesting. I would not have assumed the G2 handles better than the GH1. I had a G3 and did not enjoy the user interface at all. How different is the G2? I know the 2 has the eye sensor, which is a big plus in my book. The touch screen is a good point as well, as my daughter pretty much assumes that everything has a touch screen. Using one is very intuitive for her.

Other thing with the GH1 is that I do plan on using the camera as well, and in theory will appreciate the better IQ and video capabilities. Planning to hack it for even more of an upgrade for video.

8. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    It won't be two Panny cameras. I'm too big a fan of Oly JPEGs, and the size factor of the E-PM1. Though I will say that the GF3 is one of the more underappreciated :43: offerings.

9. What handling upgrades?

10. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    Are you saying that 'my wife" and "logical" don't go together? So when did the two of you meet? :biggrin:

I've actually got her semi-convinced to try a better camera. She volunteers at our daughter's school, and ended up taking lots of pics for newsletters and yearbook. Most are OK, but she is definitely aware that she could do a lot better with a better camera. E-PM1 in iAuto mode would be a nice upgrade I think.

Unless someone thinks I should just buy her an E-M5 for Mother's Day? :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    In taking a quick look at some photos of G2 and GH1 the biggest difference I see is the wheel moving from top of front grip on GH1 to more conventional thumb wheel position on back of G2. I prefer on the back for easier access, but I think with a kid's smaller hands it will not matter much.

Beyond that, some buttons are in different places, but nothing that looks game-changing.

Maybe someone can explain their preference in more detail. I'm curious now.

Thanks.

12. I can see the touchscreen being useful, but the re-positioning of the wheel might only be useful for someone who shoots with the viewfinder (I'm just guessing there; I thought it was a backwards step in handling).

13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The G2 has all of the controls of the GH1, but just laid out differently. The touchscreen capabilities do not come at the expense of any dials or switches. The GH1 is worth the handling deficiencies to me in trade for the noticeably improved IQ and multi-aspect sensor, but at the time I bought my G2, I had to consider my girlfriend. She's the reason I handed down my D90 to my brother and got a smaller, easier-to-use camera so that she can learn photography and grab a camera that she's comfortable and confident with, and I thought she'd appreciate the tinkering of the control layout and the touchscreen. I assume your daughter will feel the same.

At the risk of making a bit of a controversial statement, besides resolution the GH1 is right up there with the best current m4/3 sensors in regards to sensor performance (dynamic range, high ISO, etc). So if you're wanting IQ increases, the GH1 is a great camera to look at on a budget. The newer cameras, however, have enough improvements that they're worth looking at if you can stretch your money. Heck, a GH2 with 14-42mm lens right now is $600 through Panasonic's Facebook fan page!

On-body, the thumbwheel to the rear and AF-area mode dial. Touchscreen-wise, everything that a touchscreen adds, while not really removing any on-body controls. My G2 does have the SD card under the battery door however, unlike the side port on your GH1, which is annoying. Also, no built-in stereo mic. Two steps forward, one step back.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    if i werent an impatient spoiled brat, id totally think this is a perfect plan
    but... i have this serious character flaw... and i must have my em5...

i think a normal sane adult like person would think this is good tho :)
    do i get points for understanding that i SHOULD think that way???

lol

does the g3 have a articuly screen? or fixed? i forget... if it does, then u could get her that, and youd still have some sensor improvements over yer mini

15. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    You definitely get points for knowing how you SHOULD think -- that is the first step!

The G3 does have an articulating screen. But I owned one for a short while and found the interface to be awful. I don't think the GH1 interface is great (also owned one a while back) but overall it is solid. I think the lack of the eye sensor on the G3 was what made me a bit crazy, as the controls otherwise are not terribly different.

16. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I thought about the GH2, but I feel better about letting a 7 yr old use a GH1 for some reason. Plus I would like to keep expenditures in check to some degree as I still see an E-M5 on the horizon.

17. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Yes! :2thumbs: Then she can give it back to you for Father's Day! (Once she realizes the E-PM1 is smaller, lighter and easier to use, or gets tired of using such a "big, heavy" camera.) :biggrin:

18. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    OMD for you.
    EPM1 for your wife.
    EPL2 with VF2 for your daughter.

As nice as the GH1/2 are I wouldn't give my kids a camera without IBIS.

Gordon

19. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I used the same logic ("my wife will use the other Pens...") to justify my pre-order for the E-M5, but had second thoughts and cancelled anyway. My wife does use both the E-P1 and E-PL1 for documenting her artwork, art classes and potential painting subjects, but I still couldn't justify spending over a $1000 (though I did buy the 45 1.8 shortly thereafter, and have just ordered a brand new E-P2 on clearance for $225---wait 2 years and the E-M5 will be as cheap!).

Now the Mother's Day Gift, that's a stretch! :smile: