Why I am going to buy a G9....

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by D7k1, Nov 8, 2017.

1. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I currently have a Gx85 and 2 gx8. One of the Gx8 will leave when I order the G9 (probably February). Here is why

I think of my camera gear as an imaging system. I bought the Gx8 cameras when they first came out knowing that the only downside would be continuous AF for BIF. I figured that out and get 6/7 out of 10 images with eyes sharp now. But I really bought the Gx8 as a rangefinder city/town/landscape type camera - at which for me it is a brilliant imaging platform. The Gx85 is my travel camera and it is superb for me as a travel camera when the travel is not a photo trip.

I shoot with other wildlife photographers and find that the Gx8 is a step or two behind when handheld, but when I use a large video tripod (as 4k video is important to me) with good fluid head and have IS turned off, I get very good images.

I think the G9 would add true value and would probably have my 100-400 attached almost all the time. Also the 80 mp for landscapes would be very useful.

This is a very expensive camera, $1200 was about the edge of my comfort zone when I got the Gx8 cameras (I had just sold my Nikon gear and had lots of cash), and now I happen to be in the position to pay cash in February. I will be watching the reviews and seeing any special deals.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    6.5 stops might do it, but $1,700 might inhibit me - too close to a D750 or D760 or D850...

if it somehow has a lot better DR then...

3. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2015
    If you use or own PL100400, you'll appreciate the G9 over other cameras from other systems.
    I used GH5 and PL100400 the other day for whole day without breaking my back and arms.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I really hope this will be my next flagship camera, it looks like it has the right balance of video and stills features I have been waiting for.
    Panasonic should be congratulated for adding this to their product line and not just rehashing a GH5 or G80. I have my fingers and toes crossed that the CAF will be the best we have seen in micro 4/3 to date, as some from Panasonic are hinting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. D7k1

Nov 18, 2013
    Yep, I have one and when out with the Canon and Nike folks it is so very nice when you've been shooting all day with no pain or fatigue:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. The G9 price tag makes the GX85 seem like an even better deal.. though I cannot afford either right now. :(

For the same money I'd prefer the K-1 full-color PxShift. But with K lenses in hand that's a pretty easy choice!

7. rich_morris

rich_morris New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2017
    Bedfordshire, UK
    I guess the G9 is aimed squarely at current owners of m43 mid range cameras (G7/G80/EM5ii) with a set of lenses, who cannot afford/justify to move wholesale to another system (or may not want to) and who couldn't really justify the GH5, especially with not wanted video specs.
    If your not invested in the m43 system, its a harder sell than some of the competition (Nikon D500? Sony A6500? Fuji XT2), and really likely not to tempt people from full frame cameras. The benefit of the crop factor on long lenses might do it?
    I don't think its intended to tempt people away from the GX850 etc. Panasonic would prefer you went via G85 first!
    For me, it's still got features I wont use, and I don't really see enough image quality performance to justify that money, so I will wait for the sensor and software to make it into a G85 successor. If I had cash to spare right now - id love the G9 right now! Mostly, because of the ergonomics, and the free area for my thumb on the right had side (moving the disp button from under my thumb!)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I can't afford it, but it looks awesome. Please post when you get it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    Close to a D850?

10. D7k1

Nov 18, 2013
    Lets see.....B&H...

Nikon D850 $3256.25 Nikkor 200-400 f(7.4 Pounds) $6695 = $9951 Total (You could compare the Nikon 200-500 which I don't think is any where as good as the PL100-400 from seeing two lens used by friends)

G9 = 1697 100-400 = 1797 , $3494 total

Similar systems not even close in price or weight.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    yes, G9 should be a good wildlife or action camera - if it can follow focus etc. like a D850

but for Landscapes, it is spendy and needs some DR over the GX85

for a walk-around, it is a bit heavy

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Would the 80MP multi shot mode help there?

13. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

January seems so far away, I want it now.

14. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    A shame it does not have the rear LCD of the GH5. At it's price point a few dollars more for that LCD would have been better. I remember comparing it to my G85 in the shop where I purchased it and you could tell the difference.

Also a full magnesium body not just front & back plates would have been nice. It has some very good features but it looks like the GH5 is still their flagship camera, to me at least.

15. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I just saw the Alaska video they put out (still shot on GH5). The AF looked amazing. My GX7 certainly would never have been able to lock onto those puffins. Seeing that video really made me wonder why people are still complaining about AF. And the G9 is apparently going to be even better. I don't have the money lying around, or the need for that camera, but I can see why for someone like you, shooting lots of wildlife, this is the dream. Please post many pictures!

16. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I also have the GX80 (GX85) and the PL100-400.

Like the GX80 body for smaller lenses but the 100-400 would fit like a glove on the G9 I guess. Also combined with the new even better IS it would be awesome.

But I think it's too big and too expensive (but I could live with that if it was perfect otherwise).

Would it be too much to hope for a slimmed down version, something like a G90, later? :)

17. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    I don't know how big the G9 is since I have not yet had a chance to hold one in my hand. So I can't say from first hand experience that it is large or too large. The cost is more than I expected though.

18. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    Specs and so called 'previews' always look nice, but I doubt AF performance is better than EM1.2.
    GH5 had a firmware update of 'improved AF', so I've been testing against EM1.2, but my conclusion it (DFD) is still slower than EM1.2 (PDAF).
    EM1.2 latches on the target (mostly birds) almost instantaneously, while GH5 still hunts a little bit, maybe 0.1 or 0.2 sec.
    That's a big difference, especially if the bird is flying (or about to fly off).
    Unless G9's DFD is hugely improved over GH5, EM1.2 will remain as a better choice, at least for me.
    Now, regarding video features, 6K photo (pro capture), or EVF performance, we'll see.

19. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 16, 2016
    The problem with your statement is that you are drawing a conclusion based on zero, repeat, ZERO evidence to back up any of that. I have seen people making claims of doubt, but never coming back to admit that they were wrong and that the lambasted product is in fact excellent.

20. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    I'm super keen to see if the dynamic range improvement is true or not. DR/IQ in the raw files, Ibis and (to a lesser extent because I'm not unhappy with S-AF on the GX8 and G85) AF in that order are what could sway me. I was also hoping for Live Comp mode but thats not a deal breaker at all.

I very nearly put a deposit on a pre-order with the 12-60PL and free grip yesterday. But I'll try to wait for a user review, lol.

In the meanwhile, I'm about to take the G85 and 8-18 on a walk. It'll do me at a pinch.