1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Why hasn't the gh3 been anounced yet?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by KVG, Apr 19, 2012.

1. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I keep waiting for a new GH and still not a peep yet. I wonder if Panasonic is developing another new sensor for this camera, or if they were waiting to see how the em5 did. I know IBS isn't gonna happen, but af between continuous drive shots, newer multi-aspect sensor, weather sealed metal body and wifi would sell me. Oh, and a batter grip option. The gf1 would have a sibling.

2. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I guess both may be considerations, but, IMHO, the GH has no competition in the m43 world, esp. if talking about a hacked one. Most people get them for video, not stills. So their competition would be from 60D or even 5D.

I believe they are working on new firmware as per their recent colaboration with Vitali and his team. It would be great if they introduced a totaly new sensor for the GH3 in addition to a super-firmware solution.

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    well, the GH2 was announce summer of 2011, right? I would expect a similar thing with the GH3. Panasonic doesn't need to up its announcement schedule given their logistics issues.

hrm, guess I'm a year off, hah. they need a new sensor I'm guessing then.

4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    It was summer 2010 IIRC. So its approaching 2 years, which is quite normal for a flagship camera.

5. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    There's a good chance that they didn't want to go into direct competition with Olympus by announcing at the same time. Also, they likely are waiting to make the camera available for the holiday season, and to make the announcement in time with the final versions of their mockup lenses (12-35mm, 35-100mm). Even if you extrapolate the GH1 to GH2 release date, this is just about the time that the GH3 announcement would be expected. I'd recommend that you hold your horsies, relax, and go enjoy your camera. The GH3 will probably come out later this year. I'd expect a late summer launch. They're under no obligation to hold a hard-and-fast 18 month update press conference.

• Like Like x 1
  6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Go to Vimeo, Video Sharing For You and use "om-d video test" as your search words. Then view the San Francisco sample video taken by an E-M5. Then try to find a GH2, 60D or 5D video that is as bright, vividly yet accurately colorful and as sharp and detailed as the E-M5's video. I think the E-M5 has the GH2, 60D, etc beat in bright outdoor light conditions.

So I doubt the GH3 will offer much more than the E-M5 can do except maybe low light and it might also offer 1080p60p video instead of just 1080i60p as the current GH2 does.

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Are you sure that wasn't an April Fool's joke?

8. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Be sure to find one using the exact same lens in roughly the same lighting conditions shooting the same subject and put through the same processing and compression techniques, since all that affects the picture far more than anything a body can do.

9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I will not debate what you say, since I'm not into video anyway. From what I can understand, the hacked GH2 provides extra funcionality for, say, timelapses, in camera HDR rendering, and such, much like Magic Lantern for Canons. What I know for sure is that a lot of people buy the GH2 only to hack it and use it primarily for video.

No I'm not sure, if it was then it was a succesful one! :biggrin:

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The gh2 is a killer camera and the multi-aspect sensor is something I want because I shoot 16:9 alot and keeping the resolution is very appealing. The em5 looks to be a great camera, but no other camera in M43 format offers this feature.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The E-M5 isn't an all-camera destroyer when it comes to video. If you have any info I don't, or any convincing threads at forums like dvxuser or dvinfo, I'm open to check them out. The E-M5 has to to crop away part of the sensor for 16:9, giving you a bit of a crop factor versus the GH2. It also only has 30fps sensor readout. According to the videographer's comment in this video:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq6Lna2oXXI]GH2 vs E-M5 -moire resolution test - YouTube[/ame]
    "stabilization of OM-D works just sensational, unfortunately, worse dynamic compression stages and no 25p mode disqualify it for serious work :-(
    GH2 is still the best choice.
    Sharpness and detail in static scenes the same. The clear advantage of dynamic scenes GH2. Moire the same. Aliasing slightly higher in the E-M5.
    AF faster in E-M5, unfortunately, looks disgusted, because the camera is looking for more focus.
    At high iso E-M5 significantly more denoising image, and is therefore smoother but has less detail.
    And the most important defect in the E-m5, no 25p mode.
    Sorry for my bad English."
    Says it about as well as I could. Don't get me wrong; I'm sure that the E-M5 video is great quality overall; I'm just not convinced that it's going to topple all of the current go-to indie cameras like the 7D, GH2, etc.

12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1080p60p??? 1080i60p??? what? The "1080" is the image size on the horizontal side {1920x1080 is the image dimensions} , the "60" is frames per second and the "p" stands for progressive and "i" for interlace. Why do you have 2 "p"s in one and both an "i" and a "p" in the other? Not sure what you are suggesting.

13. speedandstyle

Only if you are in Europe. 25fps is for PAL. If anybody is "serious" about making videos in North America then 30fps is what you want.

Perhaps you meant to say 24fps so that you get the cinema look??? Which is great if that is what you want but I never use 24fps for a "serious" project that isn't a cinematic story.

14. Giant bubble guy

Giant bubble guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2011
    It was definitely an April fools joke

No I'm not sure, if it was then it was a succesful one! :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

It WAS an April fools joke. There is definitely no collaboration between Panasonic and Vitaliy. It was an elaborate prank that lots of people fell for.

15. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    this might help:
    1080i/60p - Cinematography.com

16. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I was just quoting the Youtube video maker; I live in the US and don't care about 25p myself. I know that the 60D can shoot in 1080 24p/25p/30p and 720 50p/60p, has manual audio controls, etc. and that the GH2 has a 60fps sensor output with pretty impressive performance. I was just trying to relate that it's going to take more than a "Check out this cool video online" that will convince me that the E-M5 has taken the throne.

17. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Guilty! :biggrin:

18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The E-M5 has all that too (except 24p recording), but more importantly for the average Joe is it produces brighter video with more vivid, yet realistic colors than the GH2 or 60D (both of which have relatively soft focus and dull colors). The video sample you posted above demonstrates this. The E-M5 also has camcorder like image stabilization that the GH2 and 60D lack. And silent, fast focusing that the 60D lacks. Thus the E-M5 may be the only still camera available that shoots video as stably and almost as easily for the average Joe as a camcorder can.

19. speedandstyle

OK I guess I did not make my point clear. I was asking a rhetorical question. I know all about interlaced verses progressive video, I do video as part of my job. Most cameras that are primarily still cameras that also shoot video use progressive scan and then convert to interlace. Interlace is used for broadcasting and video playback. Thanks for the link however.

20. speedandstyle

I am very excited about the 5 axis stabilizer for video! I am willing to bet the new stabilizer is better than most consumer level camcorder stabilizers, perhaps even pro video equipment. Of coarse once you get to the "pro" level you use a stabilizing rig like a steadycam instead of any internal camera setup. Overall I think the GH2 is a bit ahead of the E-M5 for video, at least in the specs and it is much better if hacked. Of coarse they might hack the E-M5!? But so far I am quite impressed with the video samples I have seen from the E-M5.