1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why DXO Mark is not testing OMD sensor?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys
    This is just an observation . Normally DXO mark is very quick in reveiwing cameras and putting up their sensor performances ratings up there . I am puzzled why they havent put any rating for OMD . I am fully aware that a sensor rating of 55-60( Thats normally DXO Mark gives MFT cameras) will not make OMD a worse performer . I am just curious what DXO Mark is thinking ? I am eager to see what number they offer to this giant killer MFT King ?
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    They've been very slow publishing tests results for months now. The thread Delays Getting Worse!!! Is DXO in Trouble??? has been the most active on their forum since June. DxOmark announced in July that they would return in September.

There are 42 DxO Optics modules available for m43 lenses (21 raw, 21 jpg), including the OM-D, so they likely already have all the data for a sensor review. The OM-D sensor review isn't scheduled yet, but Oly 9-18mm, Oly 75-300mm, and Pany 100-300mm lens reviews are scheduled for September.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Counter-Point:
    **Appears** like everytime there is a DXO Mark test on aMicro Four Thirds body, a large portion of the MFT community "trashes" DXO Mark for "inaccurate testing"

So why should DXO Mark even bother with the OMD?

• Like Like x 1
  4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I think the sensor data from them is interesting, but most of the lens/sensor (combo) testing they do...I dunno how to put it....it sucks.

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The sensor rating is likely 60-65, it seems like Dxo doesn't wanna publish it cause it may contradict many of the reviews equating it to the top DSLR sensors and if the sensor score ends to be lower than RX100 (65) it would not look good, IMO and may affect resale value and even future sales.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Do you think a bunch of internet whiners like me are really going to have that kind of power over a corporation? If that is their viewpoint, then they are really wussies.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Interesting opinion - but I still stick with my perspective.

With all the flack that DXO Mark gets from the Micro Four Thirds community, why should they even bother with a test?

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Personally, my guess is Oly is doing some work on the RAW that DXO is having trouble untangling and interpreting (I honestly don't care what Oly is doing -- I only care about the results). They want to measure what the sensor is capable of, not the final output (which is one of their strengths, and also weaknesses).

I thought I read (DPR forum?) that DXO had found some "confusing results" which is what has caused them to pause in publishing.

9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Maybe I'm not with the majority, but I don't need someone(DXO Mark) to confirm or deny that my camera does the job. If you need someone to pat you on the back for using a certain camera, then you have bigger issues to deal with. Go shoot, and decide for yourself if it gets the job done. I'm really getting tired of so and so says this, yeah well my dad is bigger than your dad. But I guess this is required to go along with your pixel peeper destroy the moment photo analysis degree.

• Like Like x 2
  10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I use the DxO test results to evaluate a camera's performance before I buy it. IMHO DxO's graphs correspond very well to the experience I had myself with processing raw files from the Nikon D200, D300s and Panny G1 and GH2, so I have a good deal of trust in them.

I sometimes get tired too from some discussions here on the forum. In that case I just refrain from reacting instead of bashing other people's approach of our common hobby/profession.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The last statement from anyone at DxOmark was:

Source: http://forum.dxomark.com/index.php/topic,825.0.html

That was two months ago, and since then they have published no sensor tests of any kind (for any camera) but announced their intention of getting things back up and running soon.

I sincerely doubt that they suppressed results because they have some kind of anti-MFT agenda. The E-M5 test was one of their most anticipated tests ever, and they had nothing to gain by failing to produce it.

What probably happened is that they found some result that makes no sense (like more DR at at higher ISO) and were trying to find the root of the problem, then got sidetracked by whatever is preventing them from doing sensor tests in general these days.

Now that we know it's a Sony sensor, and now that I've done my own comparisons, I've very little interest in seeing their test results.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    You have a valid point for comparison purposes, but did you notice most of the entries in this thread( including the OP) already own the camera. Oh and the tag line "king of MFT " just reaffirms my thoughts. Context scues my opinion, have a great day.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Me too...
    But seems like on 'the net here, quite a few others have a different perspective....

14. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

I would not be surprised if DxOmark found it difficult to believe how good the E-M5's dynamic range is.

An optical lab I know and trust has tested the E-M5 and found a dynamic range of 13.2 stops at base ISO. They asked for, and got, a second sample and that had a DR of 13.3 stops. This is a surprising and exceptionally pleasing result, as it puts the E-M5's dynamic range within reach of all but the very best APS-C DSLRs.

15. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    This is not entirely true:

DxOMark - Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100

They published the RX100 results literally days after the camera went to market.

All this delay with the OM-D doesn't help since half would argue it's because they try to "protect" Sony and the other half that results would somehow show the sensor not being "that good" anyway. :rolleyes:

Personally I see any measured results as (possible) confirmation of real world observations. You, Amin, and others, have done comparative real world tests between the OM-D and several other cameras. I have my own estimates based on prior experience with other sensors and I'm sure everybody has. If someone is eager to base his/her buying decision on DxO tests, I would honestly submit that this is not the best plan.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I rest my case....:tongue:

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sure, it's unlikely to you and me but not to everyone.

I think that's an equally unlikely explanation. They don't do these tests to make friends. The flack only increases their buzz and traffic.

They certainly could do a better job explaining why they haven't produced the E-M5 test, as high profile as it's absence has been.

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It is predictable that E-M5 will come close to the best, because DR amongst current cameras is only very weakly dependent on sensor size and strongly dependent on read noise. Sony has the read noise down on all their sensors including the E-M5 sensor, so it would almost certainly have more DR than Canon APS-C sensors and be similar to Sony's best APS-C sensors.

High ISO signal/noise performance, on the other hand, is strongly linked to sensor size, so the E-M5 sensor probably gives up about half a stop to the best 1.6X APS-C, about 2/3-3/4 stop to the best 1.5X APS-C, and about 2 stops to the best 35mm format sensors in this area.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thats a good point WHy to bother .. But now we have a camera with ISO performance as good as Canon 5DMarkIII and Nikon D800. DR is up there matching biggies , So I am sure many of us are keen on knowing the score . DXO Mark sensor rating have no meaning for me on the whole. I didnt dump my EPL2 or GX1 after reading DXO sensor rating or I didnt purchase Pentax K5 which was low light King and has the highest Sensor rating for any APS-C camera.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    So if DXO Mark gives the OMD a great score, are all the people who said their methods are inaccurate going to speak up?