Why don't people use M43 cameras?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lenshoarder, Oct 3, 2011.

1. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't see a lot of M43 cameras out and about. I've only seen 2 Olympus Pens out in the wild ever. No Panasonics. I see lots of NEXi. I went to my little town's Octoberfest yesterday and saw 4 people walking around with NEX cameras walking around. When I travel internationally, I see them all the time. There's not a ton of them, but at the tourist spots I see one or two. So where are all the people with M43 cameras? Do they just keep them at home?
  2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Asia seems to be the stronghold of M43. China, Korea and Japan seem to have the most M43 users. Just on one flight I took out of Korea, a third of the tourist on my flight had M43 cameras. M43 seems really weak in the US, just walk into any Best Buy and the E-PM1 and GF3 are the only cameras on sale relegated in the corner of cheapo cameras. No presence of the E-P3, E-PL3, G3 or GH2.
  3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Because they are not up on the latest tech and simply do not know about them. Also due to the economy people have only so much to spend on pricey toys. A new laptop comes first. Or smart phone. That is ... if you even have a job.

We are not, on the whole, as enthusiastic about cameras as the Japanese are. If we ever see prosperity again we will start to see more and more m4/3 cameras.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My PEN received a lot of attention after the Scott Kelby's Worldwide Photowalk this weekend. Somebody else there had an E-P3 he just bought with 17mm pancake and 45mm f/1.8. He had a VF-2 on order and was interested in seeing mine. ;)
  5. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Most people think I have film cameras. In LA though, there seems to be a pretty good knowledgeable base of M43 users.
  6. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Most common here:
    -Iphone 4 from your pocket
    -Powershot in that girl's purse
    -Nikon DX in the Tahoe by the Capri Sun
    -Canon all in your grill if paid photographer

Panasonic/ Olympus doesn't seem to have a presence in our big box electronic chains. :43: has been all word of mouth in these parts, but it's been gaining momentum. I've managed to assimilate a few.
  7. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I think it's not as fancy as having a Canikon. Also when you enter a mall here in Italy and ask for a camera they say 'Canon or Nikon' and all the others are toys'.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I see more DSLRs up here in the northeast, but more m43 than NEX
  9. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I think it just depends on the crowd. I attended a press event in TX last week for a PC manufacturing company. Most of the press (35-50 people over the course of two days) either used Canon DSLRs, Nikon DSLRs or m4/3 cameras (I'd say it was evenly split between Panasonic and Olympus among the m4/3 shooters).

I brought my E-PL1s and a NEX-3 (I know, boo, hiss). I ended up using my NEX-3 more just because I needed high ISO most of the time (along with decent DOF ... didn't want to use my 20mm at f/1.7) and I sometimes used the panorama mode on the NEX.
  10. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just got back from Disneyland not too long ago and the majority of tourist I saw were using DSLRs. I saw 1 NEX and 2 M43 cameras (1 E-PL1s (a Japanese tourist) and a G1). Amongst the Hollywood hip, M43 is starting to catch on! :wink:
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well, for a system that no one is using they've done well to expand the range of cameras and lenses in such a short time.
  12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    There are 6 billion people in the world and most of them don't have cameras period. Since m4/3 are not in mainstream consumer distribution, it is not hard to imagine owners are a small part of the population. There is nothing more ominous about this than regular statistical results.
  13. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Most people don't know m4/3 exists. Not even some people who own them, which can really catch you off guard.
  14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    dSLRs with kit lenses take less thought and research to buy.
  15. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    "Nice pen camera! I heard Panasonic makes Pens now too?"

Pana-Oly should join forces and go on an edumacational-blitz with their system. Marketing in the states is almost non-existant. In Asia it's a different story.
  16. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I dunno, among my crowd of parents of young'uns (preschool), I have seen a lot of m4/3 Lumix cameras. I've been surprised. No Pens though.
  17. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    We're a growing croud and will grow much more as time goes on and people realize the advantage of this system.
  18. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went to Samys no-tax sale the other week and they had a Panasonic and Olympus setup right next to each other. While it appeared they were a joint setup, at the same time they were trying to up-sell each other. The Olympus rep was going on how I should have an Olympus camera for IBIS, while the Panasonic rep was amazed I put an Olympus prime on my G3...blah blah. It's like they don't want people to know the lenses are compatible or that many things are interchangeable. It's a weird alliance and probably something they don't like talking about fearing the otherside of m43 will get the sale or something. :rolleyes:

They really should be more easy going about it. I'm sure many m43 users flip-flop quite a bit.
  19. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Why don't more people carry ยต43 cameras?

There's no accounting for (lack of) taste.
  20. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    u43 is HUGE in asia. Nex is even bigger. Maybe not huge but it's quite normal to see a u43 every time you go out, if you go to the younger hangout areas. It's probably easier to find u43 than a dslr.