1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why doesnt Olympus and Panasonic Spend Money on Makerting there Micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Darthpnoy88, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    California
    As title thread states and for many readings from many threads. I've seen zero presence from big box retailers here in LA expect for Costco where they had the G5 in stock but Best Buy, Target nada heck even the NEX despite there lack of lenses is working really hard in changing perceptions. With little or no presence in big box retailers how in the world does Olympus and Panasonic expect to generate or get those folks from dinosaur dslr to our systems

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Because their executives took all the money and they are in jail now :wink::wink::wink: ..lol Jokes apart ... Their executives are a bunch of idiots . I phoned Olympus Australia last year and they had no clue about launching of OMD . They hardly advertise any camera properly. If I am a Olympus/Panasonic executive.. I will advertise it aggressively . I will arrange road shows, photo walks, studio shoots and challenge people to come use It and see how good they are :2thumbs:
    Cheers

3. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    It is great to see how far Mu43 has come in a short time (in comparison to other formats) and I suspect it will just get better and better despite the pessimists who think it's days are numbered - people are now leaning toward better quality in smaller packages and even the big boys recognise this.

I do still feel that both Olympus & Panasonic need to up their marketing game both on TV and other media, the current programme is too poor - I remember about a year ago Panasonic ran an advert on TV showing a known photographer using I think a GH1/2 for some landscape work and it had a positive impact on sales, since then ........nothing!

Olympus UK have recently brought Damian McGillicuddy on board as their Ambassador and he is running workshops etc and doing a great job but knowledge of this and his work is limited to those who visit his blog (http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/journal/) or the Olympus UK website, it would be a prudent move to use him for a short TV ad to promote the products/format as too many people are still not aware of the format or it's capability to deliver!

Awareness is missing and this is what helps sell.

4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    They seem to be interested in viral marketing, and Panny is making a push in the pro circles with the GH3, both with print publishing and viral pushing. In the US I only see OMD's and and the GF series bodies, and no lenses in stores. Except for airports, I've seen the entire line at a couple airports like Miami, and Atlanta... which strikes me as weird.

5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    It seems to be very different when you compare it here in their home country. Almost all the big electronic stores and even the small enthusiast stores carry extensive collections of both Oly and Panasonic. They are displayed side by side with Nikon and Canon and you can almost try all the lenses too... They are active in Advertising in trains, tv, magazines here too.

I would say Oly is more aggressive, as often have a couple of racks where you can test almost all their available mirrorless models... Although I could also say the same for Sony, Ricoh, Samsung and Nikon. The Canon M is not ver common.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. Bhupinder2002

Forget Olymous and Panasonic ... Where is this land of short skirts ? I promise I will not visit the place :wink: and shoot only from OUTSKIRTS :biggrin::biggrin::wink::wink:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    If you look at the BCN sales numbers for May in Japan, the Canon Eos-M was the top selling mirrorless camera in May - at number 5 amongst ILCs - and the only mirrorless camera in the top 10 ILCs by sales.

8. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Hahaha you know where it is!! :D:D

it is really the land of short skirts... makes your daily life very exciting ;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I have no idea why, but they have a VERY poor presence in Korea too. Generally in Korea, Koreans love to buy Korean electronics (Samsung, LG)...but for some reason, when it comes to mirrorless cameras, it's all Sony all the way. They sell like hot cakes, and you can buy them EVERYWHERE (even Wal Mart-type of big box stores)...and yet, I had to go to Seoul (the only place I've seen it) to buy OM-D...there are a ton of camera shops in Busan (big city of about 5 million people), where they have tons of NEX and Fuji cameras on hand...NOBODY has a single OM-D. When I called Olympus' Korean headquarters to see if I could get a black 45mm, I was told that they didn't have a single person on staff who spoke English...it's like they don't want to succeed...

The black 75 has been available for a month or so everywhere else...still not available in Korea...

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

When the OM-D was first launched (& I had mine), I was surprised to see the scrolling advertising boards all along the ring road (Qantas Drive, Sydney Airport) were showing the OM-D advert. I actually felt proud to have that camera. :wink:

11. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Nice info there, I did not realize they were selling that many. Maybe they were selling a lot of it due to it being a Canon, but I certainly don't their presence much. I had to look hard before I found a display rack for EOS M.

12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    You know it could well be that they were selling them cheap - that increases sales. In fact the Canon Eos-m is the number 1 and 2 top selling ILC on Amazon.com today.

I know I hold a minority view amongst M43 shooters but I maintain that 'marketing spend' is not the answer for M43 and, if anything, Oly and Panasonic should reduce it.

I have a number of good reasons for thinking so....

First of all, 'marketing spend' seems to be why 'other people' buy cameras, not why you buy cameras 'yourself'. I know you believe there are millions of people who buy a camera because they 'love Ashton Kucher' but I will bet you have never met one. I read tons of reviews on the internet, user reviews etc before deciding on an OMD but I didnt look at some glossy advert and think - yes well must have one of those. Now if the product is unavailable - that is a different matter.

And remember just because 'more' marketing spend will result in 'more' sales does not make it efficient spend. Maybe you could 'spend' the money reducing the price of the product and increase sales that way. It depends on the marginal utility of marketing spend which I think is negative.

And let's be clear here Oly cannot afford to spend more on marketing. Last year it lost US$250m in digital cameras. Oh and for Oly last year 52% of sales revenue was spent on SG&A - sales, general and administrative expenses. So 50% of your spend on Oly went on sales and admin - your product is already being marketed in line with a Gucci handbag. This year, for the first 5 months, ALL mirrorless sales ALL over the globe amounted to US$350m. Meanwhile DSLR sales are over US$2bn. So clearly DSLR marketing spend is going to be far bigger than mirrorless spend.

And clearly if 'everyone' believes that it is 'obvious' that M43 would benefit from increased marketing spend then it isnt.

13. Bhupinder2002

I saw them too Ross but they disappeared soon and Oly made no effort to promote it further .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The EP-5 is on the back of the WIRED magazine UK edition last month. But it's aimed at trendy men with beards in suits by the look of it.
    Bring back top celebs like Eric Idle, David Bailey and James Hunt. (Jane who?) from the Olympus Trip 35 TV ads [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHsXMybAzf4"]Trip 35[/ame].

15. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Well at the price, I'm not surprised. With the pancake lens it is a cheap alternative to a Coolpix A or Ricoh GR. And with the zoom it is a smaller and cheaper alternative to something like the T3i.

And if you already shoot Canon DSLRs, it makes sense to test the mirrorless waters with the EOS-M since you can use your current lenses.

For all its flaws, the EOS-M is a step in the right direction for Canon, something Nikon is missing out on.

16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I'm sure sales of the OM-D surged then fell back to normal levels again once the latent market was saturated. And the same will probably happen to the Canon EOS-M. Where Canon SLR owners and f*nb*ys "just have to get one" whether they need one or not.

17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The EOS-M is a joke...with a grand total of TWO lenses (a boring pancake and an even more snooze-inducing kit lens), it's the most poorly supported mirrorless on the market. Also, I hate the way it handles, the lack of physical controls, etc.

It's true, you can use EF lenses (with the expensive adapter), but it's pointless...by the time you put on the adapter and then mount the lens, you might as well get an SL1/T4i, the OVERALL package (including lens) isn't really that much bigger/heavier.

Yes, using EF lenses (including L glass) is a possibility, but from what I've seen on Canon boards, people mount their massive Ls on the EOS-M, take a picture so they can post it on the board - Zomg lolz look at it...tiny body big lens...wowzzz - and then never actually use it...which is precisely what I predicted would happen when I saw the EOS M upon its release.

Sooo many people (including me) were hoping for an OM-D type offering (along the lines of the AE-1 film camera)...and were sorely disappointed.

18. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's all about budgets and Return On Investment. By their calculations it just doesn't pay for itself.

I went through similar frustrations with Atari ST Computers when they had the best technology in the market at the time, and the worst marketing and support of them.

19. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually SECOND best...Amiga had the best technology at the time! :tongue:

Of course what they both had in common was Jack Tramiel...even after he left Commodore for Atari, Commodore kept his lack of advertising policies in place.

20. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually, Olympus has done a lot of advertising, they just don't advertise year round...as MajorMagee said it has to do with return on investment...they pick the best times to advertise. Unlike Nikon and Canon which butt heads with each other, Olympus doesn't have to compete with them because they have different products.

The thing is though, Olympus users always complain about the ads that are done, like the following:

"Camera chow, picture wow? Are they trying to compare the camera to "Dog Chow" and "Cat Chow" (pet foods)?"

Turns out it was camera "Ciao" as in Italian for "bye"...meaning the camera doesn't get in the way of the image:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vuDtcFngZc]Olympus PEN - Camera Guy - YouTube[/ame]

Then there's the Office Party ad...puts a real negative spin on taking a camera to such an event...remembering things you wish you can forget (rather than using the camera to remember happy memories). And what did they do with the horse...if this wasn't a "G" rated forum, you could probably come up with some ideas:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVHc4zHDYrQ]OLYMPUS - Office Party - YouTube[/ame]

Now this one I like, except it gives the impression that if you have that camera you are oblivious of all the exciting photo opportunities happening around you:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E25em-brl8]The Amazing Olympus PEN E-PL1 Camera - YouTube[/ame]

Now I never saw this one on TV, but again it's not a positive ad in that what happened to his wife and daughter...were they killed in a car accident while he was trying to take a picture while driving? Is he such a bad person that the wife and daughter took off? In most divorces the father gets visitation of the child, so we should at least see more pictures of the daughter growing up, even if we don't see the wife anymore:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9Et7UQh1tg]The PEN Story - YouTube[/ame]

My favourite though is one I photographed on a billboard in Toronto several years ago:
    billboard2.

Here's a Panasonic ad, again putting the user in a bad light:
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-hxBkca5l4]Panasonic Lumix Camera TV Commercial - Myles Ward-Thornton - YouTube[/ame]