Why doesn't histogram change in Manual?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by WoodWorks, Jun 21, 2012.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    This may be a dumb question, but can anyone tell me why the histogram doesn't change on my GX1 when I change the aperture or shutter speed while in Manual mode? I normally shoot in Aperture mode, and when I adjust exposure compensation, the histogram changes with it. But in manual mode, no matter what I do to the aperture or shutter speed, the histogram remains the same. No doubt there's a simple, obvious answer. But it has eluded me so far.

I'm ready to slap my forehead for you.

David

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm assuming ISO is locked down? The (live) histogram should change as you change exposure, however.

3. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    1.) Does the histogram change color?
    2.) If you cover the lens front by hand does the histogram bars move to far left side?

On my Panasonic G1 when exposure is correct it (histogram bars) changes color from yellow to white. Also, that EV meter thing on your LCD should go to "-" or "+" depending if picture is under or overexposed.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    David
    Yes, mattia, ISO is locked at 160. And yes F1L1P, the histogram changes from yellow to white when the exposure is correct, and the shape of the histogram changes if I change the view through the lens (or cover it with my hand).

But the shape of the histogram doesn't change in Manual mode if I adjust the shutter speed or aperture.

In addition, when I shoot in Aperture mode and adjust the aperture, it doesn't change. Nor does it change when I shoot in Shutter priority and adjust the shutter speed. But in either of those two modes, it changes if I adjust the exposure compensation.

I know I'm missing something stupid here. I just can't figure out what it is.

David

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    In shutter or aperture priority, the histogram shouldn't change as you adjust the primary control. The camera automatically adjusts the secondary control to match, leaving the overall exposure unchanged.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work in manual, though. I'll try to remember to check this out on my GH and see what it does in manual. I seem to remember some esoteric menu option that also doesn't work in manual mode, and I wonder if they're related.

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I did a quick check on my G2 and got the same result. In auto exposure modes the histogram shifts left or right with exposure compensation. In manual the histogram stays put and only changes color for "correct" exposure.

Also in manual mode the live view doesn't change brightness with exposure adjustments. It does in the auto modes. I haven't delved into the menu system to see if something can be changed.

I essentially shoot manually in aperture priority mode by adjusting the aperture and compensation instead of aperture and shutter speed. With auto the exposure is always pretty close before I adjust anything.

Fred

7. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    I see what you mean.

The shape of live histogram does not change in Manual mode on G1 either.

Situation:
    Outdoor, bright sunny day. Camera on tripod, manual mode.
    Aperture: 3.5, Shutter speed: 60 seconds.
    Obviously this settings would overexpose on bright sunny day, but live histogram shape did not move to far right side to correctly indicate overexposure. It will be yellow, EV meter will go to +3, but it will not go to far right side as it should.

Histogram shape will only change if I set shutter speed effect to ON. Then I would get overexposed bright image preview and histogram will display only one full bar on far right side of the histogram.