Why doesn't E-M5 IBIS work for video with legacy lenses?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by manypix, Aug 16, 2013.

1. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA

My question is: why doesn't the 5-axis IBIS in the Olympus E-M5 work for video with legacy lenses? They have it working with non-stabilized electronic lenses; there is a method of focal length entry for legacy lenses... so why doesn't the IBIS work with them?

I know the obvious reason: Olympus didn't decide to make it work. I can imagine some marketing reasons for it. What, if any, are the possible technical reasons that it doesn't work? Could making it work be a software fix?

I really wish it did work, so I could make stabilized video on the E-M5 with--for a few examples--the Topcor RE 58/1.8, the Fujinon-TV 75/1.8, or the Wollensak 1-inch (25mm) f1.9 lens, originally made for 16mm film.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    update your camera firmware.

install and launch olympus viewer and plug your camera in

as far as I recall this issue was resolved in version 1.5 of the firmware

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    What Kevin said.
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Or should it?
    Olympus would prefer that you shoot video with their MSC glass :smile:
  5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Just how do you expect it to work with large sweeping pans, etc? That is why videographers use stabilizing rigs, etc (even with video cameras). The lens OIS/IBIS really has nothing to do with such things.

You can drive a screw into hunk of wood with a hammer but a screwdrivers works better.

Know the limits of the tools and work within the limits.

6. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Works now!

I updated my camera firmware, and it works now. Cool!