Why does the shutter close, open, close and re-open on MFT Cameras?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pdk42, Feb 15, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Whilst reading some posts on 'shutter shock' it got me wondering why the shutter goes through a close, open, close, re-open sequence. Why not lose at least the initial close/open by starting the exposure using an electronic shutter? I appreciate that this will only work for slower shutter speeds where the shutter opens fully before it closes (i.e. at max flash sync and below), but this will be useful for a good proportion of most people's shots.

2. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

i believe that is the exact reason, you will get rolling shutter skew on moving objects.

i read some where, i think it was canon and the new panasonic (gh3?) allows you to start the image with the electronic shutter and end it with the physical or something like that but it only works in reduced resolution and at slow shutter speeds or something like that.

i think its a case of technology not quite being there just yet, but close or soon.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Sony's newest NEX have an electronic first curtain shutter. It's very useable up to certain shutter speeds, but there is some very minor, noticeable only at 100% deterioration. I'm sure it's investment, too, in fast read out technology, so it's just not quite there yet. I would expect to see it in the next generation or two.

Also, NEX REALLY need it, as the shutter sound is loud and obnoxious. m43 shutters are a bit more palatable, IMO. NEX shutter sound is much more acceptable with the first curtain electronic.

4. After shooting with Micro 4/3 and a few other focal plane shutter mirrorless cameras for about two and a half years now, and usually inspecting every processed image from both them and any other type of camera at 100%, you'd struggle to convince me that "shutter shock" is some kind of significant, real world problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I do wonder if "shutter shock" is sometimes an excuse which masks bad technique. I've never noticed it so I'm inclined to be sceptical.

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Disclaimer, I haven't looked into and don't know how / if it could be adapted.

Nikon's OLDER bodies, the D70 for one, had an electronic shutter that allowed for flash sync to 1/500. They did away with it and now 1/320 is the best you can do. I wonder if there might be something in there that might able reduce the development cost.