1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why does the Panasonic cost more than the Olympus?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Johnny1.33, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Hi, I am just learning about the m4/3 so sorry for my newbie question.

I was looking at bhphoto and saw the Panasonic cost more. It is just the more megapixels and higher HD video? Why does the Panasonic cost more aren't the same lenses used on both?

Thanks.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The lenses should generally speaking always be more expensive than Olympus because of their image stabilization that resides within the lens.

3. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    But do the Panasonic lenses fit the Olympus?

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    which Panasonic...and which Olympus? There are many factors that go into pricing and there are plenty of people who favor one over the other..... both companies make some wonderful cameras. You really need to read up and them (and more importantly....if possible) handle them and shoot with them. They are quite different....though both will get you beautiful shots once you learn them.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

6. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    yes to the same lenses being used?

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the short answer is yes.....they will fit. I assume that you are comparing micro four thirds lenses to micro four thirds lenses. Both companies agreed on a standard. some work "better" on certain cameras than others. If that sounds vague, it's because there are plenty of variables.....you;ve found a very helpful group, though.

8. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I'm just trying to figure the best one to buy. Are any of them fast enough for sports?

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    if you just want fast answers and whichever is best for sports, you shouldn't buy either of these. They really don't (as a general rule) focus fast enough for sports.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Please clarify if you are talking about lenses or camera bodies

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
  12. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Which one to buy...that is a diverse question. What are you planning on capturing? Photos primarily, or is video a Budget is often a factor,as well as size and ergonomics. If you are able to visit a store and handle models of each style, then shorten your list from there. Also, what are you using currently or this your first camera?

13. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    panasonic lenses fits olympus bodies and visa versa. but with a panny body, you really do not want to use the oly zoom lenses. As they will not be stabilized. And on the longer lens in less then ideal light stabilization is a very handy too.

Oly you get the best of both world, you can use the lens OIS or the IBIS of the body.

14. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    PS only the GH2 and the new G3 have higher mp counts. The others all have the same sensor as the olympus. But with different AA filters for the oly giving them a better iso performance that the GH2 and G3 now match.

15. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    YES. All µ43 (micro 4/3) lenses are 100% compatible between the Olympus and Panasonic bodies.

You can buy any Panasonic µ43 Body, or any Olympus µ43 body, and use it with any Panasonic or Olympus µ43 lens with full Auto features.

Cheers, Alan

16. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    I guess I shouldn't have said sports. I really wanted to know about weddings but said sports because I figured if it could do sports then it could do weddings. Dumb on my part but what I thought at the time for whatever reason.

17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    no such thing as a dumb question. But you're firing off questions faster than a (sorry I don't have an analogy for how fast you're firing off questions).

All of these cameras are pretty ill-suited for photography in dimly-lit churches. If you NEED tough shots (sports....low light, indoor stuff, weddings), then you want a DSLR. If you want a compact(ish) camera that can (come close in great photographers' hands) do everything, then micro four thirds might provide what you need.

all camera take good enough photos.......and No cameras take good enough photos. Ask yourself what you will use the tools for.

18. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    wedding indoor and the dinner, I would go with a dslr over m4/3. Either canon or nikon. You will want good flash system and they have the top two flash systems out there. Sports skip the m4/3 also.

19. Johnny1.33

Johnny1.33 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2011
    Oh well, I guess I either have to wait or go for a DSLR then. I wanted something that I could grow with in those areas mentioned and it doesn't sound like the m4/3 cameras are ready yet. Maybe the new ones coming out will be more suited. Maybe it will be years.

20. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To be clear, m43 is about equivalent to entry-level DSLR, but the DSLR will have an advantage in the availability of bright lenses for now, but they appear to be closing the gap pretty quickly.

If you NEED the highest image fidelity in these tough shots (ie someone is paying you for them) then you NEED a high end state-of-the-art body and bright lenses - and it's gonna cost you.