Why does it take Lightroom 4.1 ages to open OM-D RAW files?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TheBiles, Aug 27, 2012.

1. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Any time I try to view OM-D RAWs at 100%, they take ages to load. Literally, I'll sit there for 15-20 seconds waiting for the 100% view to load. My 5D3 RAWs usually take 2-3 seconds at the most. All files are in the same location, so it's not a hardware issue. Is this a common thing with Lightroom and the OM-D?

2. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    Make sure you haven't altered your "render previews" setting. It could be that when you import(ed) your 5D3 files, you have LR rendering 1:1 previews automatically, whereas your Olympus might be set to "standard".

Still, it shouldn't be taking so long to render a 1:1 preview - I just tested it on a RAW and it took about 5 seconds for the "loading..." to go away.

i7 Imac with 12GB RAM, 1TB internal HDD.

3. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    I imported everything at the same time with "minimal" previews, so I'll just start rendering the 1:1 when I import. I honestly had no idea I could do that automatically. What a time saver!

And while we're on the subject of Lightroom, are there any profile lens corrections for MFT lenses out there? I usually correct chromatic aberration by hand, but it's very convenient to remove distortion and vignetting automatically.

4. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    I believe you can automatically have a preset import with those options corrected, though I don't know of a profile specifically for any MFT lens.

For instance, on my OMD I have default NR to 15, Contrast to +20 (which I usually back down anyway, so I might change that), and the checkbox for CA checked.

5. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    I know you can import with certain settings by default, but I was specifically looking for the lens profile corrections that you can apply. For example, does anyone have a profile for the Panny 20mm 1.7 made by hand? That way I can specifically correct those shots with that lens. I don't have a test chart to photograph and manually fine tune a profile myself at the moment.

6. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    LR4 doesn't take appreciably longer to open OMD RAW files than any other RAW file type on my computer.

I think something may goofed-up in your configuration.

7. jar

jar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    The necessary corrections for distortion and vignetting are embedded in the raw files on mu43. Lightroom applies them automatically.

• Like Like x 2
  8. rkelac

rkelac Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2011
    Or you can download manually created ones using Adobe's Lens Profile Downloader. There are quite a few lens profiles there. Not sure of the quality though.