Why does a pricey lens announcement seem to upset people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi Guys
Lets make it more simple . Now Oly has OMD as premium MFT camera with WR and other useful features which may be important to some people and not so important to others . Oly has lanuches EPL5 and EPM2 with same sensor minus many things . Why cant we have a stripped down version of Panny 12-35?Same material as Panny 20 mm 1.7 and costing around USD 699-899 and if someone wants WR version then they can pay USD1235 and get it . Is it too hard ? If they can manufacture different version of a camera then why not two versions of the same lens ?It will be a win win situation for everyone .Its our hard earned money guys and we have the right to question these things . After all these company make products for us and not for themselves IMHO.
Cheers
Bhupinder

pxpaulx

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
Hi Guys
Lets make it more simple . Now Oly has OMD as premium MFT camera with WR and other useful features which may be important to some people and not so important to others . Oly has lanuches EPL5 and EPM2 with same sensor minus many things . Why cant we have a stripped down version of Panny 12-35?Same material as Panny 20 mm 1.7 and costing around USD 699-899 and if someone wants WR version then they can pay USD1235 and get it . Is it too hard ? If they can manufacture different version of a camera then why not two versions of the same lens ?It will be a win win situation for everyone .Its our hard earned monet guys and we have the right to question these things . After all these company make products for us and not for themselves IMHO.
Cheers
Bhupinder

That would be nice but I think it is asking too much. While m4/3 certainly has a great lens line-up, you're asking for not just 2 levels now, but 3 levels of lens grades (kit, mid and high end) - Panasonic and Olympus simply don't have the resources to build and maintain that much of a product line like Canon or Nikon do. Heck, Panasonic can barely keep their goods in stock, at least in the US it seems lenses go in/out of stock every few months...that tells me their manufacturing lines are constantly already re-tooling for production runs of their current lenses - there isn't enough room for more!

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
That's interesting, I wonder what that was all about. The price is back to $1299 again and Samy's is marked as out of stock. I wonder if there really was some kind of $200 rebate from Panasonic or something else going on there.

When I got the 12-35mm it was below the $1299 price as well... I suspect that it will likely drop a bit over time similar to the 7-14mm's price curve.

nickthetasmaniac

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi Guys
Lets make it more simple . Now Oly has OMD as premium MFT camera with WR and other useful features which may be important to some people and not so important to others . Oly has lanuches EPL5 and EPM2 with same sensor minus many things . Why cant we have a stripped down version of Panny 12-35?Same material as Panny 20 mm 1.7 and costing around USD 699-899 and if someone wants WR version then they can pay USD1235 and get it . Is it too hard ? If they can manufacture different version of a camera then why not two versions of the same lens ?It will be a win win situation for everyone .Its our hard earned money guys and we have the right to question these things . After all these company make products for us and not for themselves IMHO.
Cheers
Bhupinder

Quality, fast lenses require quality, expensive glass. So if you want cheaper, it's going to be slower, and Panasonic already offer that choice. It's the 14-42mm, and it happens to be very cheap.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
It seems to me that you are not very receptive to irony, and that you are very prone to mental projections.

......quite the expert......:rolleyes:

Obviously it's not forbidden to discuss the cost of lenses; that's what we were doing until you widened the debate to include general socioeconomic issues and introduced ironic references to another member's lens ownership and potential revenue stream derived from those lenses. Unless, of course, I've missed some litotes somewhere along the line......

amalric

......quite the expert......:rolleyes:

Obviously it's not forbidden to discuss the cost of lenses; that's what we were doing until you widened the debate to include general socioeconomic issues and introduced ironic references to another member's lens ownership and potential revenue stream derived from those lenses. Unless, of course, I've missed some litotes somewhere along the line......

I just mentioned those issues in passing, and yet was rewarded with accusations of communism, and of hidden agendas!

There is a notorious sentence by Queen Marie Antoinette, when people were clamouring for bread: 'give them cake'.

So I suppose I must have hit a raw nerve or something, because those things are freely discussed in my country and over the media: Occupy and revolutions for bread are spread all over the World, and you would want to hush the present circumstances, in just your tiny angle of the world?

Try to walk with a 1200 $ lens in an urban environment, perhaps degraded, and see what happens...

I am under no illusion that Panny is starting rebates for compassionate reasons, however. It probably feels the heat from the Fuji and its 18-55/2.8-4, which costs only 400$ and has fast linear motors and real f-stops.

In a separate thread @DPR people agreed that nobody knows what will be the winning mirrorless system 3 yrs. from now.
I myself have witnessed the tragedy of 4/3 with some proudly spending 10,000 over lenses that they can hardly use today, and especially not in m4/3.

So like others there I have sworn to keep my lenses to a minimum, with a strong component of good legacy glass, which has already won its right to eternity.

m4/3 in its early days was rather a simple affair, and people satisfied themselves to plug the gaps between inexpensive lenses with legacy. It now has grown pretentious, but witness the destiny of 4/3 and the gnashing of teeth at their forums.

So please spare me the worn commonplaces of freedom of choice, cutthroat competition and other niceties of your culture.
It doesn't fare well and I have other values which BTW are closer to the traditional Japanese ones.

I hope to keep my equipment over a long time, and won't invest much if I cannot be sure of it. YMMV.

I think that if Panny confirms that the 12-35 will be 1000 $ instead of 1200 everybody will be much happier. Especially us Europeans who end up paying equipment 20% more because of taxes.

So have a good day.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
I just mentioned those issues in passing, and yet was rewarded with accusations of communism, and of hidden agendas!

There is a notorious sentence by Queen Marie Antoinette, when people were clamouring for bread: 'give them cake'.

So I suppose I must have hit a raw nerve or something, because those things are freely discussed in my country and over the media: Occupy and revolutions for bread are spread all over the World, and you would want to hush the present circumstances, in just your tiny angle of the world?

Try to walk with a 1200 $ lens in an urban environment, perhaps degraded, and see what happens...

I am under no illusion that Panny is starting rebates for compassionate reasons, however. It probably feels the heat from the Fuji and its 18-55/2.8-4, which costs only 400$ and has fast linear motors and real f-stops.

In a separate thread @DPR people agreed that nobody knows what will be the winning mirrorless system 3 yrs. from now.
I myself have witnessed the tragedy of 4/3 with some proudly spending 10,000 over lenses that they can hardly use today, and especially not in m4/3.

So like others there I have sworn to keep my lenses to a minimum, with a strong component of good legacy glass, which has already won its right to eternity.

m4/3 in its early days was rather a simple affair, and people satisfied themselves to plug the gaps between inexpensive lenses with legacy. It now has grown pretentious, but witness the destiny of 4/3 and the gnashing of teeth at their forums.

So please spare me the worn commonplaces of freedom of choice, cutthroat competition and other niceties of your culture.
It doesn't fare well and I have other values which BTW are closer to the traditional Japanese ones.

I hope to keep my equipment over a long time, and won't invest much if I cannot be sure of it. YMMV.

I think that if Panny confirms that the 12-35 will be 1000 $ instead of 1200 everybody will be much happier. Especially us Europeans who end up paying equipment 20% more because of taxes.

So have a good day.

Well, I wouldn't describe the E-5 as hardly usable, but you've just raised a whole bunch of issues well beyond the scope of this thread so I'll refrain from further comment. :smile:

D@ne

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I honestly don't even understand what we're discussing anymore...this thread has gone down the crapper. Sorry all.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
They were never a concern of mine, I bought into SG lenses and even sold my stuff.
But I understand that if you are a Vogue photog. or into product p/py these must be a must.

So please feel free to show us samples of those beauties, which earned you a ton of money :)

You didn't answer my question to you but I will give you the courtesy of answering your question to me. :smile:

The simple answer is that I have no samples to show because I don't own any Four Thirds equipment. That being said, nowhere in my posts in this thread did I say that or indicate that I owned Four Thirds gear or that I made any money. :smile:

amalric

You didn't answer my question to you but I will give you the courtesy of answering your question to me. :smile:

The simple answer is that I have no samples to show because I don't own any Four Thirds equipment. That being said, nowhere in my posts in this thread did I say that or indicate that I owned Four Thirds gear or that I made any money. :smile:

I didn't expect you to take it so personally.

As I explained is used this as a hyperbole and paradox. They are the usual argumentative tricks to have fun in a discussion.

But if you feel that I am encroaching on your liberties, or that making fun must be forbidden, what is the use of even discuss?

So not about expensive lenses, but about communication skills, this is becoming about.

Wasting each other time about nothing, taking things literally the last refuge of bad will.

How sad.

LeChuck

Mu-43 Rookie
They should be offering more alternatives at different price points. I need a 12mm prime with very good optical quality including corners. Every lens out there has 14mm but not 12. I can't afford to pay $899 for a lens. I'm not asking them to sell me that lens for cheaper. I just don't care to, or can't pay a premium for a metal body and a "jewelry" factor (or "designer" black) when what I want is simply optical quality. All my plastic lenses have lasted just as long as anything else, and save a lot of weight in the bag. I want a 12mm equivalent of my Panasonic 20mm. The only issue here is that there are few or no alternatives in most cases. Other manufacturers do it. And I'm mostly talking about Olympus. Not personally mad that they are releasing expensive lenses, but that they are releasing *only* expensive lenses.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
I didn't expect you to take it so personally.

As I explained is used this as a hyperbole and paradox. They are the usual argumentative tricks to have fun in a discussion.

But if you feel that I am encroaching on your liberties, or that making fun must be forbidden, what is the use of even discuss?

So not about expensive lenses, but about communication skills, this is becoming about.

Wasting each other time about nothing, taking things literally the last refuge of bad will.

How sad.

Actually - I haven't taken anything personally :smile:
But for the second response in a row, you haven't answered my original question towards you which was (Do you think the Olympus "Super High Grade" Four Thirds lenses are accurately priced or no?). This is merely stating a fact, nothing personal. :smile:

The only sad thing I see is what others here have pointed out - & that's that you still have not answered my question towards you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom