Why do you value lightweight bodies and lenses?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MarylandUSA, Aug 6, 2013.

1. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    One of M43's most appealing features is that it weighs less than competing formats...potentially, a lot less. But where, exactly, do you value light weight?

1. around the neck?
    2. in the hand?
    3. in a shoulder bag?
    4. on a belt pouch?
    5. somewhere else?

For my part, I find it liberating to be able to carry 1 body and 3 or 4 lenses in a belt pouch.

I also find it liberating to take a long walk while wearing around my neck a high-quality camera that weighs only 0.5 to 0.8 kg, depending on the lens.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Some of us are concerned with how easily we can hold one camera in two hands. Others don't care if the camera+lens is heavy, as long as the second, third, and fourth lenses will add little additional weight. Others might say, "With a lightweight camera/lens, I can get by with a lighter tripod and quick release." Or "When my entire travel kit weighs less, my camera bag, in turn, can weight less."

Why, or where, do YOU appreciate M43's light weight?
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    For me it's pretty simple.

As a tech journalist / gadget blogger I usually visit about 10 trade shows a year. And for me 'trade show' means 2-3 days of walking around with my camera, voice recorder, laptop and sometimes even tripod in my backpack.

When I used a DSLR, I used to take a camcorder with me as well. (BTW, my camcorder hasn't been used even once since I bought my first Micro 4/3 camera — Olympus E-P1 — in 2009).

When you need to walk for 6-7 hours with your camera in your backpack, you surely start to appreciate both weight and size savings of Micro 4/3!
  3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Especially for travel photography, every ounce counts... having lugged around DSLRs for a while, I can appreciate the lightweight Micro 4/3s. In the bag, in the shoulder, around the belt -- I can appreciate 'em. And to be able to bring a lightweight tripod is a major plus too.
  4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I'm older, I do urbex in sometimes hazardous abandoned buildings, and a light kit has become a "lifesaver" -- perhaps literally, lol.
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Between S1 and L5, and L5 and L4 on my spine.
  6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I value the size and reduced weight when just grabbing the camera and carrying by hand or when carrying the "full kit". Less weight; more flexibility with whatever activity is going on.

But where I really value the size and look is in how people react to the camera. Everyone I shoot reacts to a DSLR. My E-M5, though not tiny, is just not as imposing. I really appreciate being able to shoot without drawing a lot of attention. I never expected that benefit, but after my first m4/3 camera (E-PL1) it became pretty obvious.
  7. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    For me, multiple fractured vertebrae. While I can walk quite some distance still, and have reasonable movement, I have issues standing still too long where nerve damage more than the lower back pain causes leg pain.

I use a smallish satchel type bag, and usually carry 2 lenses, and some accessories. I handheld all the time, and never use neck straps. Nothing suites me better than my M43 and Fuji X.

Even .5 kg can make a big difference to me.
  8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    There are many times when I want a take-anywhere camera, and to me that means one I can take without doing anything "extra"--no bags, no strap, etc. In practice, this means I either hold the camera in one hand or put it in my pocket. That's why I value the very small cameras and pancake lenses: my favorite combination is the PM2 + 14mm Panny lens.

Other times I carry a camera for dedicated shooting, and then I don't mind carrying a larger package. But that's the beauty of m43--I just mount my 9-18 or 14-45 or 45-175mm on the PM2 and I can be as creative as I want.
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yes. Although primarily neck and bag and backpack.
  10. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    In a SMALL shoulder bag. Got totally tired to travel with my 9 kilo Billingham and changed to Domke satchel. Only thing that fit there was 2 kilos of MFT :smile:
  11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    I commute daily. A car is impractical for me here in Japan since the public transportation system is so good. On the flipside I need to walk a lot everytime I go anywhere.

I like it but when I explored a few parks here and walked all day with my FF gear it made me realize I need a lighter kit.

Its also always crowded here, It is difficult to carry a big backpack on trains. Its just way easier with m43. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app
  12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I like to carry my camera on family outings and just about everywhere. I bought a nice backpack to carry my dslr and my 2.8 zooms and a couple of primes and external flash. It all fit, but good grief it is heavy. I'm a big guy with a lifetime of weightlifting, but even I didn't like carrying all that around. Now I have a very small bag I wear over my should with an E-PM1 and kit zoom and 40-150. I think even in my tiny bag I can get one or two primes as well. It is probably 1/5 or less the size of my dslr backpack and even lighter than that. I was marveling at the difference just today.
  13. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Most of my photography is friends and family. I now have a 3 year old who I need to chase and carry on occassion. First year of his life I had a DSLR + Camcorder and times I took them with me it was frustrating to carry a diaper bag + all my gear. M43 makes it all easy. I actually have an LX7 now too for my longer outside adventures with the family.
  14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Here in the city, train and bicycle give you mobility, plus the chance to stop and poke around in every interesting scene. A car would be useless. My Olympus PEN street case M with all my gear is so tiny it does not hinder cycling or anything.

However the big bonus is moving the OM-D from hip to eye and down again. It's a fingertip job. And repeated frequently.
  15. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I travel with a motorbike and camping gear. Packing space is sparse and small size it preferred. Other than that, I ride a bicycle or walk all day carrying my bag over my shoulder and the camera in my hand (rarely around my neck). Lower weight is also nice. I used primes between 1968 and 1995, and than switched to zooms for a new set because at that time primes were not readily available and expensive (only top primes available). The arrival of AF made primes bigger and heavier.

I still use an old canon shoulder bag. In my last film set up it offered room for a camera with 2 zooms, giving me a range from 28 to 200 mm. When I went digital, the bag barely contained my nikon D80 with 16-85 zoom, no room for the 70-300 I had.

Now that same bag carries one body, 7.5, 12, 19 and 45mm primes and a 75-300 zoom. The whole set up weighs less then my D80 with 16-85 and 70-300 zoom, offers a far wider range, mostly in my loved primes, and is smaller.

For every day use I have a much smaller bag and just carry the 12mm and 45 mm. I can toss that bag in my bicycle bags and still have room for shoppings, or I can wear it as a belt pouch and forget it is even there.
  16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    One word: Travel.

My most extensive photography is done while traveling, and I used to lug a full Canon FF DSLR kit with me. My 'minimalist' setup (5DII and 24-105L + 35L) is still larger/heavier than an E-M5, 7-14, 12-35, 100-300 and 45/1.8. With far less range. And the 'animal travel' setup with the 100-400 is best not discussed. The difference between a small bag, stuffed to the gills, weighing 9+ kilograms (two FF bodies) and the same bag half-empty covering more bases and at less than half the weight is immense.

Plus the small camera is less obtrustive, less obvious, less visible, less 'threatening' seeming. All good things. And the quality speaks for itself.
  17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
  18. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    There are 2 reasons I like the 'lightweight' M43 system.

1) It lets me put high quality lenses on my camera and carry them easily. By that I mean something like a 35-100 2.8 is not a 'small' lens but compared with a DSLR equivalent it is. If I had a DSLR I would probably put on budget lenses so that I kept my kit a reasonable size.

2) I like to easily change lenses on the go. Typically the DSLR lenses are too big to easily change over to another lens.
  19. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    My first reason is for travel, for which I often take only carry-on luggage for weeks at a time. Size is the deciding factor here.
    My second reason is backpacking/hiking, where I've been known to remove labels from clothing in order to save weight.
    Finally for my job, which has me away from home about 50% of the time for the last four years, often while restricted to 35lbs of baggage.

I've always been interested in photography since I played w/ my dad's 35mm canon he got on R&R while in vietnam... but the size and weight of dslr's always kept me from moving up to a better digital kit than a point and shoot. Panasonic Lumix GF1 Field Test, 16 Days in the Himalayas and this message forum changed my mind and I haven't looked back since. Infact I think I've gone a bit too far down the rabbit hole...
  20. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    from 9 kilograms to 2, thanks to Micro Four Thirds

We need more stories like this...with before and after photos!