1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why do we contradict ourselves ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is a very interesting observation .When Fuji launched X100 , most of us were over excited and over the moon ..looked like a dream camera to most if us .Many people bought it and never cursed its AF & Video capabilities but sold it silently ( Believe me I came across people who were quite frustrated with it but never accepted it).Now Fuji has launched new XPro 1 and we are over excited again but I am sure it won't offer u better AF than MFT but still we are drooling over it .
    I have used Canon 550D , Canon 60D ,Sony a580 , A friend's Leica M9 and all of them struggle to focus in low light . All of them had dodgy AF in low light even when compared to my EPL2 leave aside latest generations PENs and G series from Panasonic . I have failed to understand why people cry so much over AF capabilities of MFT and happily accept even worse AF of Fuji X100 , Leica and all entry level DSLRs from all major manufactures . All MFT cameras are gems when u couple them with fast primes .All available primes are quite good to use with manual focus . U get a truck load of legacy lenses to use with MFT and use manual focus .So why to hail manual focusing on Leica , Fuji and other cameras and then just curse AF on MFT system? WHy??? Are we over expecting from MFT system??Or its just than MFT has great cameras available at quite cheap price and we have stopped appreciating it? Is it just a human nature that , we assume a camera which carried a hefty price tag will be the good one and we tend to ignore all major faults in it? ( e.g Fuji X100 had nothing else in it except a great sensor )

• Like Like x 2
  2. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I think it's just that we hold different expectations for different formats and styles. Personally I want to play with em all haha but most prefer their own style, their own way. Either way though, I really think it's that we have different expectations for gear based on price range, style, and format... just my 0.02

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Low light AF? What's that?

I use AF in good light, and manually focus in low light. I never need to curse my equipment... and I get the shot easier than my peers who are busy getting frustrated by low-light AF - on whatever system they use.

I could never understand this big deal over low-light AF. It's just one of those hurdles of photography which is exhibited by all cameras and is overcome with experience, not equipment. Most people would be amazed how the frustration just disappears if they just change their technique... rather than spending thousands upon thousands of dollars chasing the dragon with new equipment.

And by the way, we were able to capture fantastic photos before AF even existed...

• Like Like x 4
  4. Bhupinder2002

Thanks ..so its basically our human nature which is the culprit..lol
    I would also love to play them . The best thing which I liked about Fuji was the quality feel of the camera. Even Fuji X10 looks so nice .I wish we had a MFT camera body like that. I love look and feel of EPL2 the best out of the whole bunch.
    Cheers

5. Bhupinder2002

I know what u mean . I also use manual focusing in low light but most of the times I see people saying ...Ohhh MFT doesn't have a great AF in low light etc etc ..
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I love your threads :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

HAhaha is there any particular reason???
    Thanks a lot..that makes me smile
    Cheers

8. Bhupinder2002

BY the way what happened to ur samsung love affair ?
    Cheers

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

agreed... full of generalizations escalated to well above what they deserve.

10. Bhupinder2002

Hahah .. I think life is more fun when we talk in general rather than being tech geeks .We contradict ourselves so many times and this is just one example. We use different yardsticks to measure different things in life . Using manual focusing is equal fun on MFT as well and a cheap price tag doesn't take away that capability or thrill or even the result. I was just mentioning that slow AF was one of the major point that was being criticised over and over . Anyway I am happy talking in general and can easily be specific when needed ..Lol.

11. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Nothing new to report :smile:
    That being said, my real love affair is with film....:smile:

12. Bhupinder2002

Similar to manual focus fun on other cameras which is escalated to well above they deserve ..lol
    Cheers
    :rofl:

13. Bhupinder2002

I am also thinking of picking a film camera but my wife will kill me and u wont see any funny general threads here so people won't have anyone to bully or laugh at ..lol
    Cheers

14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Don't forget that this is a forum after all. We gearheads are naturally going to hype, speculate, rave or criticize about new products or new concepts. It doesn't mean we are going to buy all of the new products being released (at least most of us won't)...

More importantly, this is a M4/3 forum, so we are naturally going to be more critical on the M4/3 products... also just my 0.02...

• Like Like x 1
  15. usayit

Speak for youself.... lol I rarely contradict nor measure a particular system against the other. I like each of my systems.. shortcomings and all as they have somethng to offer thatnthe others don't. AF is lacking in MFT and somethng to be improved.... Let me refraise that... it sucks when compared to a Canon 1d markII from which I came from. But one cannot measure it against a faster DSLR without mentioning size in the same breath. Its like saying a Ferrari sucks hauling wood.... well.... no duh.

My conclusion....
    When someone makes a statement about one system... could it be that you are reading into it negativity which was never intended? I think that is the true question you should be answering yourself.

BTW... I can focus on static subjects faster than MFT with my Leica in low light. Generalization fails to consider ones' skill with focusing a rangefinder and their eye-sight. Its a bit more involved and more varied then holding the button half stop.

16. Bhupinder2002

Yes I agree with that . But we are drooling more over other cameras and criticising MFT more and that upsets me. I am in love with MFT and totally happy with it. We all would love to see MFT system to establish it more firmly . I haven't encountered any major troubles so far and I enjoy it a lot . We should give due credit to Panasonic and Olympus that such a great technology is available at such a nice price.
    cheers

17. usayit

Another genralization.... thatnis not totally incorrect.

K mounts for example are better for me on a Pentax DSLR because they still have the auto stop down linkage to engage the aperture automatically. Others find that a 5d maybe the better camera for legacy lenses because the 24mm lens they have enjoyed for years still maintains the same Equiv fov that they are accustomed to... rather than the 48mm it would be like on a MFT.

18. Bhupinder2002

We are not talking about FF cameras at all except I mentioned Leica .I am talking about APS-C sensor size cameras and Fuji X100.I was talking about AF and not MF . I have no idea how faster Leica can focus than MFT on a static subject and it won't be like Leica focused in less than a fraction of a second ( which depends on ur own skill as well ) and MFT took one week to focus on the same subject. Moreover if subject is static then how does it matter if the difference is only fraction of a second or one second?
    Cheers

19. usayit

So someone elses critical statements that may or may not be intended to be negative on some anonymous website forum specifcally geared towards a particular system is upsetting you to the point you didicate an entire thread to it?

I am going to keepmmy thoughts to myself.

20. usayit

U missed my point.