1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why do some of us become fan boyz?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by MarylandUSA, Sep 15, 2013.

1. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    (Jeez, this forum won't let me type the title of an article because it contains an incendiary word. I've tried to work around it...)

NBCNews has just published an insightful guest piece by Lifehacker Thorin Klowkoski: "Psychology of a fan boy: Why you keep buying the same stuff." This forum won't let me link to the piece directly, because the URL contains the dreaded F word fan... But you can reach it indirectly from here.

Klowkoski strips away our pretenses and shows how we become loyal to our favorite brands not because they're better, but because we have invested in them financially and emotionally, and also because this loyalty gives us a sense of belonging.

However, I think he has overlooked a broader kind of fan boyism: allegiance to a platform (Micro Four-Thirds, Android), not to a single brand. I would like to think that allegiance to a platform marks one as less parochial, more sensible, than allegiance to a single brand.

For example, in my film days, I was nominally a Pentaxian. But it wasn't Pentax cameras and lenses that I used so much as K-mount gear from its rivals: Ricoh, Sears (by Ricoh), Cosina, Chinon, Vivitar, and others.

2. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    There's a theory when it comes to consumer behaviour that we make our purchases based on emotional or circumstantial factors, and come up with the justification after the fact. You don't want to have made the 'wrong' decision, and seeing as you can't change what you've bought, you change your perception of reality and/or reasoning instead if needed.

I bought my GF1 and 20mm lens on a whim, as I was travelling and had read a this travel photog's blog which made it sound like an amazing combo. Now I have a bunch of lenses and am invested in the system, and will sing its praises to anyone who will listen. Do I have extensive experience with competing products, which would enable me to speak from a position of authority on the subject? No. But I've invested time in learning about and using my gear, and also of course I've invested money in it. I have a psychological imperative to avoid thought patterns (ooh, maybe this other system is slightly better?) which might lead to regret.

Of course most of us take photos as a hobby, so it doesn't really matter if we bought the 'right' stuff. As long as you're having fun with it who cares. Though that is what someone in denial would say.

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Though you look at it being platform over brand to the same extent it is the same reasoning. We can say we got in to K or M42 mount in the film days because it gives us more options, but really we are still looking for justification for what we have spent our money on. Now there will be some of us who will become more dedicated to a brand mount or OS than others, where some will diss another brand they are just covering the doubts that they have themselves. There will be mny who will use a wide variety of gear, many brands of camera or say having a Mac and Windows box, the more pragmatic who knows or thinks that nothing is perfect. Now I think apart from some pro's who will only justify purchases on the financial return from said camera,pc etc there will be those who will buy the best of a brand but look over at another brand and think for a while maybe I should have, human nature makes us not want to admit to mistakes. Then there will be the ones who have had a lot of success from their purchaces even if its just the joy of use who will have a love for the brand. I had that love for Canon until they changed the mount, then the cameras being stolen I went with another option. The Canons made me back the cost plus some and I enjoyed using it a lot and at the time I would not think of buying anything else apart from one other.

4. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    You've made me nostalgic for the time when so much good K mount gear was out there new and used, plus all the super cheap m42 gear from people who were switching to bayonet mount equipment.

5. MarylandUSA

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    I love the tagline in your signature block: "Camera gear - because money's NOT gonna burn itself." In fact, the last tagline that made me laugh so hard was, "I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming in terror, like his passengers."

• Like Like x 1
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Olympus....check
    Sigma....check
    Sony.....check
    Nikon.....check
    Contax.....check

Too many different brands for me to be a fan boyz :smile:

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just like M43 because it's the cheapest mirrorless system to get into with the biggest lens selection! I'd easily shoot NEX or Fuji if I could find cheap camera bodies and lenses. Not to mention you have two manufacturers with a plethora of equipment. To me it makes it a no brainer to get into M43 out of sheer selection.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I think it varies almost as much as personalities vary. I came to :43: because I was looking for a smaller camera for travel. I discovered a versatile system that not only replaced my bridge camera, but had the quality to replace my DSLR. It was a pleasant surprise and I switched systems, investing a considerable amount of gear.
    I won't switch because I would lose money in selling and can no longer afford hefty investment in a new system. :43:works very well for me, I like it, I will continue to support it. Still, I have great respect for other systems - I owned both Fuji and Canon and they made fine cameras. I got excellent results and I enjoyed using their gear. I just find :43: better suited to my current needs.
    I happily recommend :43: to others that I think might enjoy it and I certainly defend it against unfair or poorly informed opinions. But I recognize the quirks and limitations of the system and freely acknowledge them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    When I was young, I very briefly worked as a new car salesman... total failure really, but one thing that they taught us was when you sold a lemon, if you could get the customer to keep it for more than a week they became psychologically attached and justified the problems because it became an extension of them and their decision. This was based on Ford research. We are not that complicated, so yes, even when we are shooting a camera that is any better than something else, we make excuses why it really is... and lets face it, when you're shooting m43, there are plenty of better systems out there... even if the size, styling etc. of m43 offerings are what appeal to us.

10. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I think some people take this fan boyz thang a little too seriously, especially Thorin Klowkoski. After all he gets paid for writing articles and it sounds like he's running out of topics!

Most of us here just love photography and camera gear. Sure there are a few here of near religious devotion to their "cause" but the norm on this forum trends towards ownership and use of multiple brands and formats. I own FF and APS-C EOS gear, panasonic and Olympus M43 and Nikon and Zeiss film gear. Oh, and ah dad burn iPhone 5 and assorted point 'n shoots. And I'd own Leica and Fuji gear if I could afford it. I don't care much for Sony or Sam Sung cameras but that doesn't make me a fan boyz of the gear I do own and use. I guess I'm loose as goose since I seem to shoot multiple formats and brands. The more the merrier! I ain't no freakin' Thorin Klowkoski but my read on recent culture is the old world tribalism of brand loyalty is fading. Sort of like the sexual revolution of the late 60s and early 70s only modern man is loose with his gear purchases...

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You have me deeply mystified. This appears to be a polar opposite of your thread on affinity for other m4/3 users? I'm not giving you a hard time, but I'm confused. Could be me, it happens more than it used to... ;)

12. MarylandUSA

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    I see your point, jnewell. On the face of it, either I'm ambivalent, confused, hypocritical, dishonest, or suffering from cognitive dissonance.

The mind is a curious thing, and most of us think and feel on two or more levels.

It's true that I feel a bond with people who use M43 cameras and Android phones.

It's also true that I feel a bond with people who use NEX cameras and Windows phones. Why? Because they didn't follow the crowd.

I understand that people who drive green cars sometimes wave at drivers of other green cars, no matter what brand. To them, what counts is that the other driver bucked the trend.

It's probably telling that years ago, when I bought an MP3 player, I did most of my research at anythingbutiphone.com.

13. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Why is a thread like this in This or That, rather then The Watering Hole? That's a more appropriate area for amateur sociologists. The thread isn't even specific to photography.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    :smile: :biggrin: If you are, you can join the club. :eek: :wink:

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Separate thought but on topic. To me, the term has strongly pejorative connotations, and in common internet usage seems to usually be thrown out as an ad hominem insult when the writer either doesn't have any reasons for the jab he's taking at other people or is too lazy to try to articulate ay reasons. The idea that just because people have developed a preference makes them somehow blind members of some herd of mindless sheep is pretty offensive. :)

16. MarylandUSA

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    I considered posting my thread there. But I posted it here because I felt it spoke to this subforum's slogan, "For cross-brand comparisons by prospective ยต4/3 camera buyers and others."

17. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I'm a feature fan person. I want all the best features from all the other cameras in my camera. Same with software. Some OSs or programs have great features that other "rival" software lacks. And vice versa. There is always something missing. Grrrrr.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MarylandUSA

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    We'd all agree with you, jnewell. So does Amin; that's why this site replaces the word with ******.

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Well, of course. How else could they keep you buying all those cameras?:smile:

20. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Why?
    Insecurity.
    Fred