1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Why do reviewers make such a fuss about the lack of VF sensor in the G3?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by LudwigVB, Mar 5, 2013.

1. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    Do they all find it a big disappointment, since the G2 had an eyepiece sensor, or are they just copying each other? Seems like a "band wagon" thing to me over a most trivial issue.

No one seems to think it's a disadvantage that the Olympus VF2 has to be switched manually on PEN cameras.

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    As a G2 user I found it very disappointing so, yes, it was a serious issue for a lot of us.

They eye sensor is back on the G5, I wonder why? :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Simple. It was on the previous iteration and they took it away with the update. I didn't have a problem with the missing eye-sensor. But if it wasn't broke to begin with, then why bother trying to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed?

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    When i had to pick a new body it was a deal breaker for me.
    I took the G5 mainly because of the eye sensor. I bought a shop demo G5 for 430$ while I could get the a new G3 for 300$. For me as a person living in a sunny country EVF and accessories around it is very important.

5. mkee

mkee Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    Ya I bought my wife a g3 right before our baby was born so she could take some decent shots while I was at work (sharing lens). I must say at first it was really annoying (for me, it was her first none point and shoot so i'm not sure if she notices) but it has gotten a bit better. With that said when the G5 drops in price I will probably pick one up and sell the G3.

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Doesn't bother me, but 95% of what I use is the EVF. The way I use the screen makes it almost like it has a sensor (folded away most of the time, when pulled out, it turns on, shutting it moves back to the evf).

• Like Like x 5
  7. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I have a G3, and wish it had an eye-sensor, but not bothering me too much, just on very few occasions you wished it automatically detects what you are using - evf or lcd.

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    The lack of an eye sensor totally ruined the G3 for me. Made the camera annoying to use, which led me to sell it very quickly. Not at all trivial imo, but other folks clearly don't mind.

9. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I only open the screen on my G3 on the rare occasions when I need to shoot at a funny angle.

10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I am transitioning from the GX1 to the E-M5 and I can't count the number of times that I've put the GX1 up to my eye only to realize that I haven't hit the switch (and, yes, I did that before picking up the E-M5, too.) It's an unnatural step, especially for anyone who has used an optical viewfinder.

That said, it's definitely a personal preference. There are E-M5 owners who turn off the eye sensor. I'm guessing, though, that there is a stronger preference for the sensor among buyers who want a built-in VF. I bought the GX1 in spite of its lack of one, while I'm sure some E-M5 users buy it for its capabilities (5-axis IS, weather sealing, etc.) despite not caring that it has one.

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Can you change menu settings, review images, etc. all in the EVF? If so I don't think it would bother me and in some scenarios would be preferable - for example, when you want to shoot in a darker environment (like a theatre performance).

12. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    You can use the EVF for setting but you lose the touch focus in the G3 when using EVF.

13. dd1

dd1 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2011
    I had a G1 and G2 before buying the G3, I was annoyed a few times in the first week or 2 when I put it to my eye and it didn't switch, but then I got used to using it and it doesn't bother me at all.

I do use the camera with the screen folded close though so it might not have been as big an issue for me (or perhaps I just adapt quicker than most).

14. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    The G3 was my first "serious" digicam--I knew about the eye-sensor omission and thought it would bother me.

It didn't, really...

But after a few months of not really enjoying the G3's controls, I replaced it with the E-M5, and discovered why everyone had cared.

To the OP, have you ever used a cam with the sensor?

• Like Like x 2
  15. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    It was annoying until I got my EM-5, and then it was just... what's a word for "really annoying"? It drove me nuts.

That said, the overly sensitive eye sensor on my EM-5 is almost equally annoying, so...

16. LudwigVB

LudwigVB Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    No, I haven't. I've had 2 PEN cameras, E-PL1 and E-P2, both with the add-on VF2, which required manually switching if I wanted to change between using the EVF and the LCD, but I didn't find that to be a problem, probably because I never wanted to use the LCD.

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I do exactly this as well and I like the way it works. Never been much for the touch focus, on the G3 or the E-PL5.

19. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I found myself fumbling way to much trying to turn the EVF on when I had the G3. The sensor and ergonomics were enough to make me upgrade to a G5. I really just moved from p&s photography, so I still appreciate one less thing to think about.

20. mono55

mono55 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    I've had my G3 since Sept 2011 and it hasn't bothered me at all. Perhaps I'm a less demanding consumer or something.

Kat